Mountain Bike Adventure - Thursday July 3rd

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

mlawless

Mountain Bike Adventure - Thursday July 3rd

Post by mlawless »

So, Glenowyn has kindly offered to provide a little guidance on how to ride a mountain bike - likely along the lines of "no, you must let go of that tree" followed by "watch out for the ... oh, nevermind"

We are going to meet at the Durrance Lake Parking Lot at 6:00 and go for a nice light ride. Feel free to join us - I will provide the entertainment (you provide the first aid kit!)

Michael
mshepard

Re: Mountain Bike Adventure - Thursday July 3rd

Post by mshepard »

Sounds like fun. I might join you if I finish work on time. Durrance parking lot it is!
mshepard

Post by mshepard »

"Glenowyn has kindly offered" translation Let's go straight up the 20 degree fire road (as I looked longingly at the single track to the left and right). Then let's go straight down the dusty, loose, trail, noodle along for awhile, enough of that let's go vertical and back up the fire road. Michael and Patricia did really well while I was sucking wind due to my downhill specific body type :). Good luck with the XTERRA on Sunday! Think I'll stick to the single track though . .. .
mlawless

Post by mlawless »

So, here is a little recap of last night's "Adventure". First, we climb a mountain, then we begin to ascend, after that it just gets steeper - how delightful. Glenowyn was an excellent coach guiding us around the trails and doing her best not to laugh out loud at my shrieks and mis-steps. I thinnk that Mountain Bikers are all alittle 'touched' they name trails like 'Harem Scarem' and I can tell you from my experience there was no Harem but a lot of Scarem!

The end result was that I have a new appreciation for the skill of mountain bikers and a clear understanding about how they all lack a basic survival or self-preservation instinct. By the end of the ride the score was very clearly lopsided with a tally of Tree 2; Lawless 0 (and one of those might have been an own goal)

However, it was great fun and I encourage other (foolish) people to give it a go - I mean seriously we only went about 10km - so a nice light evening ride!

Thanks again Glenowyn (the aptly named "angel of death'),

Michael
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

So Michael, was it kind of like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXVglhezVFY

Martin
mlawless

Post by mlawless »

Pretty close - except for the wind! Oh, there may also have been more shrieking on my ride but alas I have no video or audio to provide.