15-minute summary video on training

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

toddhatfield

15-minute summary video on training

Post by toddhatfield »

This is a great 15-minute summary video on training. It distills a lot of complex stuff into bites that even I can understand. I especially like that the information presented is data-driven. It even has a bit on cyclocross!

https://youtu.be/4nqHn3vAWpI
Lister Farrar

Re: 15-minute summary video on training

Post by Lister Farrar »

That is good Todd. Thanks for posting.

The only thing i'd quibble with, is he doesn't talk about skill or tactics at all, and in road, track, cross and mtb, it's a major factor. For many TS members, it's a bigger factor than most of the training advice. And it takes a bit of ingenuity to fit in skill stuff with the physiological stuff.

This is more than a performance issue, it's a safety issue. I'm hearing lots of stories of zwift strong but unskilled riders in front groups at the whistler grand fondo looking for a place on the pavement to exfoliate. I think Peter was very, very perceptive 10? years ago when he proposed Tuesday sprints, wednesday hills, thursday ttt's, Friday jam, Saturday distance, sunday distance routine, all in groups, that we still have.

And he also leaves out psychological factors; where's the coffee conversation advice? ;)

L
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
toddhatfield

Re: 15-minute summary video on training

Post by toddhatfield »

All excellent points, Lister. Experience on a Cx bike has come in handy in some dodgy situations on the road, for sure. The recipe for success (to be defined by oneself) has many ingredients and can't be captured in a simple summary video. That said, I like this guy's approach generally because it is informed by data, much more so than other content. Now, about that coffee conversation advice - I haven't seen you in the cafe for a while....