April 7th - Big Ride to Harbour View

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

schouten

April 7th - Big Ride to Harbour View

Post by schouten »

UPDATE - This is now considered a 🍌🍌 (double-banana) ride. Please bring rations; avoid the bonk.

Hey All,

Now that the weather is getting better, I'm bringing this up again to see if anyone is interested in biking out to Harbour View for some fun gravel roads, single track, and a healthy does of getting lost. If you are, please comment below and I'll throw some dates around to find something that works (Sunday's are best).

The route:
  • Fairfield Starbucks -> Goose (Switch Bridge Pickup) was E&N -> Sooke Rd. -> to Terra Nova trail head (off Highway 14, southwest of Humpback reservoir) ~ 25km
  • Terra Nova -> Sooke Mountain Park Rd (South bound) to a mess of trails -> Sea to Sea Regional Trail Head ~ fun/far/tiring?
  • Sea to Sea Regional Trail Head -> Galloping Goose -> Home ~ 40km
I'm thinking an early start and a not-too-brisk pace to commute to Tera Nova Trail Head so we have lots of energy for the undiscovered trails. There should be a good mix of logging roads and single track but I don't know the area at all.

I would budget 5 - 6 hours for the ride. Think of the Strava Glory!!
Last edited by schouten on Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bandit
LouiseF

Re: Big Ride to Harbour View

Post by LouiseF »

Hi Ron,

I am most definitely interested. I can't say I'm committed due to many moving parts but..... Greg gets dibs on the GT ride this year unless we can somehow pull off a double parent day off, which means I might be able to join for this one.

Keep me posted. We are away over the May long weekend and I wouldn't want you to schedule around me due to my lack of firm commitment but if we're here and the planets align, I'd love to join you on this adventure.

L3
schouten

Post by schouten »

Sounds good Louise. It's definitely not this weekend. Once I have a few people assembled I'll post preferred dates to this thread.
Bandit
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

I remain firmly keen and into this plan, Ron!

But for some upcoming complications of a middle-aged, family man. The Great Trail Adventure is nearly a full day on the bike—making another extended ride within a month's proximity... umm... potentially problematic. I'm also helping coach a softball team which will have lots of games between now and June.

So please go ahead and plan without any dates from me, and I'll pray to the Great Directeur Sportif in the Sky that this ride magically lands on a day that avoids the above conflicts.
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

If there are spiders on those trails, I'm in.

Seriously, April 6-7 or 13-14 work for me, April 20-21 does not, and April 27-28 is likely too close to the probable GT weekend.

JT
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Sorry to any of you TS arachnophobic's. That last post of mine was highly insensitive. I'll try again.

If there are snakes on those trails, I'm in.

Greg F

Post by Greg F »

And for those who have, yet again, been traumatized into shock by yet another Jonny Tyre post, here’s a quick dose of anti-venom:
schouten

Post by schouten »

God bless the Unicorn chaser.
Bandit
schouten

Post by schouten »

Rolf, that's completely understandable. After my over nighter cycling trip to N Van, I also have to watch my cycling/family ledger. But April is another month so perhaps I can get away with it before a May Great Trail ride?

John, I like April 7th! Let's tentatively schedule it for that day. I'm thinking a 7:00am start from Fairbucks.

Here's a nice video of some of the undiscovered country: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZzmItsOh_0
Bandit
Alan

Post by Alan »

Set the date, you know, despite the snakes or spiders, i'm up for anything.....

LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

April 7th! By all accounts our calendar is free and consultation w Greg went smoothly since he is anticipating the GT ride (and he's a good guy - exhibit A cute puppy gif).

You must promise me a kind pace since I'm coming off a month of 4 rides only that included a week of bronchitis. You guys will be dragging my butt along I think..... I might be a bit fitter if given another week.
schouten

Post by schouten »

Excellent Louise! I'll be dragging my butt as well. I have a friend that will join us too and he'll be happy to have a lower pace.
Bandit
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Apr. 7 is Little League Opening Ceremony day.

LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

Rolf,

Baseball over bikes? What about April 13 or 14? I'd be fitter then :wink:

L3
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Ditch the kids, Rolf. They grow up and fly the coop. Your cross friends, on the other hand, never grow up and are here foreveah.

But, I can do 13-14 as well. Just not later weekends.
toddhatfield

Post by toddhatfield »

Don't wait on me, but I'd be in on a trip after Easter. Unfortunately, I'm booked up to then. (I love snakes by the way, so bring em on.)
schouten

Post by schouten »

To be honest, the 7th is best for me as I have a tentative ride with my son and his friends to Salt Spring on the 14th. If the 14th is best for the majority I can try to juggle my plans.
Bandit
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

To be clear, nobody should pay any further attention to my whinges on availability. Plan the ride and I’ll join if I can. 8)

As for *choosing* ball over bike, Louise, I call it the Coach’s Curse. But with a bit of luck I still have decades to come when I can ride like some of you old farts—when your only conflicting responsibilities are shopping for prunes and meeting non-cyclist friends for coffee. :D
Alan

Post by Alan »

Rolf, if you haven't been to big "Little League opening ceremony day" it's as boring as watching paint dry, with dull speeches, special thanks to our sponsors, yada, yada, yada. Just saying I'm with John here. Your kids may appreciate you being there on opening day, but ultimately they will grow up and abandon you, unlike us...

schouten

Post by schouten »

My neighbour is ditching his kid's little league opening day ceremony to join us. Just sayin'
Bandit