This Mornings Crash

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Mark C

This Mornings Crash

Post by Mark C »

Any news on the condition of the riders that went down this morning?

Cheers Mark
John D

Re: This Mornings Crash

Post by John D »

Alan is fine, aside from a bruised hip.

Although I have not spoken to Jim's wife myself, apparently Jim broke his hip and will require surgery. I will post an update later when I get more information.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
Paul C.

Post by Paul C. »

Steve White and I visited Jim P. at VGH this a.m.

He did break his hip, actually the Femur just below the hip joint. He should be getting surgery within 24 hours.
Only other injury is minor scrapes on his hand.He was in fairly good spirits.
No head injury or concussion.

Jim was quite thankful for the Tripleshot doctors that were there.
He is unsure what actually happened in the crash. Insights from riders in the group may be valuable at some time.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Ugh. That is so unfortunate. Sorry to hear for everyone involved and to Jim specifically, best of luck with surgery.
What happened?
Alan

Re: This Morning's Crash

Post by Alan »

With the cliche, "it all happened so fast" in mind, I was right behind Jim in the sprint. And, of course, head down, focused on the wheel ahead of me, I heard a rapid shout "Car" and "Deer" in close succession and then a furious jamming on the brakes where my front wheel, I think, went into Jim's rear skewer (I think that must explain my broken spoke.) Jim went down to the right, and I fell to the left. Kinda explains why it's his right hip that's broken and that my left hip is sore. (actually both my hips are sore, but the right one is cartilage-free and soon to be replaced, with titanium of course)

I don't know what 'lessons learned' we take away from this except one big one: people at the front of the sprint owe it to the rest of the team to keep their heads up, their eyes open and their senses fully alert to any and all obstacles, runners, deers, cars, and so on. I had no idea there was a car ahead. Perhaps that bit of information could have been conveyed back to us? Everyone sprints while basically focused on the wheel ahead of them and so none of us are really attuned to dangers ahead. But the front riders are responsible to keep the pack safe. I'm not sure what being at the front of a sprint must be like because I've never actually been there :cry: but I'm sure it must feel awesome. With awesomeness comes responsibility. Other lessons? Maybe others can weigh in on this?
Paula

Post by Paula »

That is such a bummer for Jim! I'm glad his head is okay!!

I was at the front on Mandy's wheel. So I too am wondering what lessons we could learn from this. Asides from the need for the city to have more Cougars and less deer!! How often do you hear about an accident with a cougar?!

What I recall is we came around the corner and Alan I think you were dropping back and Mandy was taking the lead and I got on her wheel. Then we saw the car that was stopped and yelled out about it and then noticed the deer (a few of them) walking from the right of the road through the little gap that we were going to take to make it around the car so we wouldn't have to slam on our brakes and cause a pile up. On seeing the deer, we yelled deer. We slowed down and were around the car and past the deer and then I heard the sound of crashing bikes behind us. I don't know what we could have done differently. As soon as we realized there was a car stopped we yelled it out. And yelled deer as soon as we saw them. We didn't slam on our brakes, but slowed to move around.

Was there anything we could have done to avoid this, asides from not doing what we do - riding in the dark in a deer infested city? Maybe we should all give each other a bit more space when it's dark out so we have more time to react?
AJ Neale

Post by AJ Neale »

So sorry to hear that you will be having to go through surgery Jim ..... I hope it goes well and I too am very glad that your head didn't sustain any serious trauma. The wet, dark fall days are perfect for recovery. I trust that Allan ( anyone else go down? ) will be out again on Friday with sore hip(s) and a smile.

I do think this accident truly was an "accident" ....... thank you Paula for explaining things from the perspective of the front of the pack. I would suggest that you probably couldn't have done anything "safer". It seems that a bunch of things had to go wrong for this to have happened at a location that most would deem pretty safe. Having gone down myself recently, I do know that finding yourself in a non-recoverable position can happen pretty damned fast. To add to Allan's advice, I would suggest that conveying any messages up and down the pack, should be done at a decibel level proportional to the risk ahead..... as in walker up! Deer!! COUGAR !!!! One thing I have noticed is that we don't seem very consistent at calling out and making sure everybody up or down the line hears. That being said, I suspect nobody this morning had time to yell out much of anything. Ride safely everybody.

Andrew
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Sorry to hear about this too. My thoughts go out to Jim and I wish him a speedy recovery.
I take it this happened during the sprints on Cedar Hill X Rd.

With regard to the communication in the group, I think it's very important. What is more importanter, is that everybody has their eyes wide open and not relying on others for their own safety. Doing so is both unfair and irresponsible. We need to realize that we ride on the road and not the track, so we have a greater responsibility to be aware of each other and other road users.

My 2 cents

Neil
MDAWSON

Post by MDAWSON »

I'm sorry to see a serious accident on this morning's ride, and unfortunately there were two other minor accidents in the A ride this morning as well.
As others have already stated it's important with these darker mornings (soon to be getting even darker) for everyone to stay vigilant about the space around them, and maybe even invest in the latest technology in the exciting world of bicycle lights! I know my own lights are definitely the kind "to be seen", instead of to actually see.

A couple words on calling out hazards on the ride. I've noticed on all kinds of group rides that sometimes people give their alarm cries a little too much gusto. Sometimes a more calm call-out may alert people without those behind thinking the world is coming to an end, and I agree that the call needs to be repeated down the line a few times, but everyone shouting in alarm can definitely have an effect on people's reactions and result in more collisions with bikes...over the deer themselves.

I'm thinking specifically of a close call i had recently on a different club ride, where the whole group was 'brake checked' nearly causing a massive pileup from one very loud, and well-intentioned person calling the alarm...while a deer stood off to the side of the road staring dumbly into a bush, chewing on a tree branch.
John D

Post by John D »

This just in from Tripleshotter and friend of Jim and Bernie Pauly, Mikael Jannson ;
Hi John,
Thanks for writing. Cecilia and I just got back from the hospital where we visited with Jim. He is still waiting for the surgery I am afraid. Hopefully sometime tonight he says. He is very hungry not having anything to eat today but a little fruit or something before the ride this morning. He is in very good spirits though.

Hoping for more, and better news tomorrow.

Cheers,
Mikael
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Very upsetting to hear about the crash and severity of the injury for Jim. All the best in your recovery. I don't recall a TSC ride with three crashes. The last A ride crash was with moose about two years ago. We all have to be responsible for our own safety but the front people really need to be alive to dangers and be willing to slow the group when there is a developing issue ahead- with loud communication. I have been concerned about the (seeming?) move toward lower intensity 'to be seen lights' rather than the lets light up the whole darn road 1200 lumen type of lights that help us see far enough ahead to see danger and stop, and announce our presence to motorists, cyclists and pedestrians.

Reasonable lights can be bought at local bike shops, MEC and online.

Check www.dx.com where I got our light order a couple of years back. http://www.dx.com/p/t6-assault-crown-wa ... hV32GZHanM
John D

Post by John D »

Another unoffical update (again via Miakel Jansson):

Apparently Jim had his operation around 9:30 last night and it went well. Hopefully he will be home in a day or two.
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Thanks for the update John.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Any more update on Jim? I just called the VGH and he is still there. Anyone seen him lately? How's he doing and have you heard when he will be headed home?
John D

Post by John D »

When Alan and I left him around 12:30 today (shortly after Shawn left from her visit), Jim was already dressed in "street clothes" and set to go home, and was just waiting for Bernie to pick him up. Not sure whether he might have then needed to wait for a doc to sign off or some such.

Either way, Jim was in great spirit and humour - which I don't think will come as any great surprise to anyone who knows him. Apparently this is the 3rd time he's broken that particular leg, so he's already a pro on crutches, too. :wink:

J.