Post by glenowyn »

Meeting 7:30 at Mayfair Starbucks.
Going to Thetis Lake Area, bring extra tubes, please
Not your regular Sunday ride
let me know if anyone wants to come along
katew

Re: Cyclocross Sunday

Post by katew »

glenowyn wrote:Meeting 7:30 at Mayfair Starbucks.
Going to Thetis Lake Area, bring extra tubes, please
Not your regular Sunday ride
let me know if anyone wants to come along
Game, but clueless - can I try to hang on with the understanding that I'll slink home if I'm holding up the real CX crowd?
kateweber.com
shawnc

Post by shawnc »

Are people with brand new mountain bikes allowed to join? :D
glenowyn

Post by glenowyn »

you are not going to slink home Kate. you will be there for the coffee or ice cream bars at Nourish afterwards, if that is where we decide to finish up at

I'm so excited you have a new mountain bike Shawn, I would love it if you try it out. The trails are the multi use trails at Thetis and then some others so they work for both cross and mountain bikes
Curran

Post by Curran »

How long are you riding for?
spearson

Post by spearson »

In only if katew is in.
katew

Post by katew »

spearson wrote:In only if katew is in.
In.

Be kind, folks.
kateweber.com
AndreaR

Post by AndreaR »

In, especially if Nourish is involved. Are you planning on heading out via the Goose? I'll meet you at the McKenzie intersection enroute. Yay cyclocross!
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

You had me at Nourish ice cream bars.
Roland

Post by Roland »

I'm in
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
mlawless

Post by mlawless »

So how challenging a ride will this be? What if the only off-road cycling I have done is as I am crashing in the ditch? Will I be weeping during or after the ride?

How long is the ride likely to be?

Based on the above questions I am a definite maybe for tomorrow:)

Michael
Roland

Post by Roland »

This ride will have some fairly challenging sections, which can be walked, most will be dirt road or gravel path. You will weep during and after. Glen likes to crush souls.

This rides go anywhere from a couple of hours to all day affairs will multiple flat tires, broken bikes, being lost in the woods, etc. People will be sent on solo expeditions to retrieve parts and supplies. For those who need a shorter ride, there are usually a few escape points during the ride.

Bring several tubes and patches. Cyclocross and mountain bikes only, make sure you have you knobby tires on.
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
katew

Post by katew »

Roland wrote:This ride will have some fairly challenging sections, which can be walked, most will be dirt road or gravel path. You will weep during and after. Glen likes to crush souls.

This rides go anywhere from a couple of hours to all day affairs will multiple flat tires, broken bikes, being lost in the woods, etc. People will be sent on solo expeditions to retrieve parts and supplies. For those who need a shorter ride, there are usually a few escape points during the ride.

Bring several tubes and patches. Cyclocross and mountain bikes only, make sure you have you knobby tires on.
I wanted to believe that this was going to be a relatively straightforward TS learning-ride. It was not. A whole herd of zebras turned up at the Starbucks, looking fresh as daisies while the newbies amongst us kept trying to order more coffee in order to stall a little longer.

I wanted to believe Roland was putting Mike on. He was not. Except Glenowyn smiles sweetly while one's soul implodes.

I wanted to believe Roland had a perfect map of the suitable tertiary trails of the CRD in his head. He does not. Unless a steadily closing corridor of blackberry and thistle following a cheerful, "this way!" count as "suitable."

I wanted to believe that tree was going to get out of my way if I glared at it hard enough. It did not. There are still tree-bits embedded in my brake bolts.

But I only cried a little bit :)

I want to learn how to suck at this less so I can have even more fun out there!

Thanks, Glen!
kateweber.com
glenowyn

Post by glenowyn »

thanks to everyone that came out. Roland's description of cyclocross ride with me is fairly accurate. It was a little overwhelming to see 16 people at Starbucks, ready to go on an adventure. I am really glad it turned out as well as it did, except for the tree and the shoulder. I really like the route and it was great to show it to others. Despite what they say Mike and Kate are both worthy cyclocross riders. It is always a great idea to take up a new discipline of cycling so close to a world championship race. Shawn took to his new mountain bike like he took to his first time out on a Tripleshot morning ride. He will be killing the trails.
Hope everyone is having a great long weekend and thanks for your patience on the ride for all my flats
katew

Post by katew »

glenowyn wrote:It is always a great idea to take up a new discipline of cycling so close to a world championship race.
See?! Did you all see that?! Smiling kindly, and *bam*, the stiletto between the ribs. Watch out for this one, boys and girls. :)

Alsotoo, if any of you ever, ever sees me let Simon talk me into anything at all ever ever again, please let all the air out of my tires on the spot.
kateweber.com