Maui Training Camp March 9 - 26

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

wonger

Post by wonger »

Actually it's a family holiday, but I'm taking my bike. Anyone else going to be there?

If you know of:
a) a great place to stay that is not astronomically expensive, we need a place from the 9th to the 15th.

b) great rides on Maui I'd love to hear about them. If there are resources that you know of that will help to inform me, that would be great.

Thanks
Lister Farrar

Re: Maui Training Camp March 9 - 26

Post by Lister Farrar »

Haleakala if it's clear, not if it rains.
Kahului to Kapalua; very narrow and winding, spectacular cliff views
Paia east to Hana, and even all the way round. Stunning, but often wet.
Also Paia south east up in the horse country: drier than Hana and picturesque.
Good mtbing on Haleakala, ask at rental place in Paia for directions
I thought the Kihei, Lahaina, Kanaapali roads looked less inviting (busy, wide), but didn't ride them.
Last edited by Lister Farrar on Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
EricS

Post by EricS »

I rode at exactly that time two years ago. May be selling my children soon that I can go again this year. I believe Steve Keeler will be there at that same time with his bike this year. Chris Watt was riding there recently. And of course Dave S. has done the island with Ryder and a fleet of Hummers following.

I will definitely talk your ear off about this at coffee next Tuesday if you are there Geoff. There is some fantastic riding on Maui for sure. Haleakala is a must do. Even though it rained from 7000 feet up to 10000 feet and all the way down, and I was shaking uncontrollably all the way down, and I could not control the bike, I still would recommend it. I'm jonesin' to try again.

Damn, I wish you hadn't posted this! Now I have to go get another line of credit. Thanks.

Eric
Eric Simonson
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

EricS wrote: Haleakala is a must do. Even though it rained from 7000 feet up to 10000 feet and all the way down, and I was shaking uncontrollably all the way down, and I could not control the bike, I still would recommend it. I'm jonesin' to try again.
Eric
I see TS-itis travels. :)
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Chris Watt

Post by Chris Watt »

Geoff- I just managed to delete my long note to you. Lister/Eric are totally right- those are the three key rides. Leave Haleakala to the second week when you've got a few more miles in the legs- but do it because it's one of the more incredible rides on the planet.

Paia better for biking holiday; Kihei closer to bunch of great beaches- but a fair amount of garbage miles have to be biked on busy highways to get anywhere worth riding.

We've stayed at Haleakala Shores in Kihei- slightly on noise side for us (but we really like quiet) but pretty good value at about $140/nt.

The book Maui Revealed is terrific if this is a first trip.

You guys will love it.

Cheers,
Chris
Brian S

Post by Brian S »

totally agree with all of the above. Have a look at mapmyride.com for route suggestions. Did the west maui loop a few years back--spectacular. I was staying over near Napili/Kapalua so did not get all the way over and up to Haleakala, but that is very much on the list. I have ridden up an across the ranch land of Haleakala's 'flanks' to above Wailea which also was spectacular. Like everyone else, the real question is "Do you need company?"
Tutto il rosa della vita
Chris Watt

Post by Chris Watt »

Have you checked cost to ship your bike- may be cheaper to rent if you're flying AC or United which nail you- I believe $200 each way but check. South Maui Cycles (Kihei) and West Maui Cycles (Lahaina) both rent fantastic carbon bikes for about $200-250/week. Steel frame a bit less.
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

$200 would be disappointing. Alaska charged me $75 for Honolulu to Vic last month, and my cardboard box was oversize and slightly overweight.
wonger

Post by wonger »

sylvan wrote:$200 would be disappointing. Alaska charged me $75 for Honolulu to Vic last month, and my cardboard box was oversize and slightly overweight.
Your mistake here is thinking that AC cares what you think!

Thanks all for the input. Chris I am considering renting as I am flying AC and the cost is not insignificant.
Brian S

Post by Brian S »

Wonger check out strava.com for additional rides
Tutto il rosa della vita