Seattle To Portland

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

G.Reid

Seattle To Portland

Post by G.Reid »

I've volunteered to organize for hotels and travel issues, for those wanting to do a group STP ride this summer. On a prelimiary check of hotels in Seattle, in the U of W area, finds that they are already begining to fill up. Its not to early to begin planning for this very popular event and booking rooms.

A few of considerations to think about would be:
do a one day or two day event; overnight in Portland or Seattle at the end of the event. Budget Hotel or medium price, or camp.

Once there is a feel for numbers wanting to do this event, I'll look into booking hotels.

Garth
Dave Spiers

Post by Dave Spiers »

Garth, thanks for volunteering,count me in, I can offer a support vehicle and driver if there is a need.
Dave
# 9
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Thanks for the offer Garth. Have you done the ride, or know someone who has? Is it something a group starts and finishes together, or do you just go with the flow and meet up at the finish?
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Oh by the way Garth, you do actually have to ride STP, not just organize.

...Which might be hard given that you haven't been seen in weeks!

Where've ya been?
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
G.Reid

Post by G.Reid »

Lister. Thats the key to being a strong administrator. You Don't actually have to do an event, only ensure it is completed. The bike has been hidden behind moving boxes as I prepare to relocate to the side of Mt Tolmie. I'll see if I can move it out for Friday

As for the STP it starts in waves , begining at about 4:30 am, for the single day riders. The two day riders can leave at 5:30. am. Last year he group I went with started together, but did split into two. We did meet up to finish together.

Garth
Alan

Post by Alan »

I guess one of the first things we need to do is decide who's going to try to do it in one day, and who would like to take 2 days. I see advantages in both approaches but would lean towards the longer one day ride, maybe meeting up with the 2-dayers as we take a day to sightsee and recover. Maybe canvass the group next time you're out and see what people would like to do...
Brian S

July 11-12

Post by Brian S »

http://www.cascade.org/EandR/stp/
Count me in as interested, pending clarification of swim meet schedules etc. Should be nailed down in the coming weeks. I would favor 1 day, followed by 2 hours of massage, wine (it is Oregon after all), and vairous eating activities.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

If we did it in two days, we could have two evenings of Bacchanalian indulgence....and an incentive to go easy on the first one.

Oh, I get it. Brian and Mike just want to unleash their 180km fitness on us, don't they?
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
mlawless

Post by mlawless »

Lister,

The sad reality is that the proper description at present would be 180k fatness vice fitness. (I likely would have difficulty driving that far)

Ooops, I have to run and throw up the glass of water I just drank - must make weight! Hmm... I wonder if Brian knows any Doctors that are available for a little weight removal procedure ...

Michael
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

The sandbagging begins. What is portrayed as fatness is really lsd distance fuel. At 140 km, watch-out you anorexics!
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Brian S

LSD

Post by Brian S »

What a long strange trip it's been/will be, to paraphrase Gerry Garcia. Dead heads parallel to the I-5. Actually i know people who have done it both as 1 and 2 day efforts. The opinion was that while 1 day was definitely harder on the ass (does being fat make for better padding?), it was vastly better than slumming it on a gymnasium floor with several hundred others. Bacchelania is far better when not worrying about the following day. B[/quote]Hmmmm LSD?[quote][/quote]
Ramsey

Post by Ramsey »

Hey guys..
Rode the STP in '95. Great experience, though it took me a week or so to recover, wandering around Seattle in an anaemic stupor, stomach heavy with 10 or so Power Bars. Passed the Boeing plant dark and early, 5ish if memory serves, planning to do the double century, 317km I think, in 12 or 14 hrs. Was passed by a fast-moving paceline of Cali-based cat 1/2s and a couple of tandems (ever had the privilege of drafting behind a tandem on the flats?), so joined on... and 10 hrs, 15 effen minutes later, rolled into Portland with eyes rolled firmly back in their sockets!
On bike time was 9 3/4 hrs, the rest of the time spent eating a years worth of watermelon at the awesome roadside "rest" stations. Worked out to 32 km/hr - other that racing up Mt Baker - the hardest two wheeled day in my life...
Volunteers were incredible: encouraging and helpful. Didn't once get lost. Roads were NOT closed to traffic, so shoulder was shared by 10 000 cyclists. Lost my voice halfway through. Flashing highbeams didn't seem to work (never does with American drivers), so must have yelled "on your left" about 5000 times. Only a small number ride in one day - maybe 20% - but it's definitely doable. Hell, most of you rode to Nanaimo (and back!), and the STP route is mostly flat, save for some gentle 1 or 2 km climbs near Centralia. Last 20 km into Portland are a tough slog: on the mind-numbing I-5, mirrors just off your left shoulder, taunted by a 1 or 2% gradient that feels more like an endless Mt Tolmie after 180 miles!
Some considerations: everyone should bring spokes (and be familiar with replacing them if Lister's not in shouting distance). Carry at least 3 inner tubes. Water's provided, but 2 outsized bottles essential. Was superhot that day (30-35), so sunscreen and a cap are lifesaving. Most important: don't change anything (gearing, cleat placement, seat position, religion, etc) preride! Pace yourself: bonking's no fun, especially if you're a long way from Mocha House. Consider tri bars. The ageless Victoria ultramarathoner Ken Bonner finished the ride in eleven hours of so on his f*cking own hunkered down over his... Our hardcore ride didn't allow for any sightseeing, so have an idea of your focus: bragging rights, or the chance to actually look up to see the half dozen volcanoes that you'll pass... If I was going, I'd be leaning toward a leisurely one day or two quicker days, but like Brian mentioned, you'd be sharing a gym with several hundred smelly snoring riders at the halfway mark...
Have a fun time guys! R
G.Reid

Post by G.Reid »

Quick update on hotels for the STP. I made some tentative reservations based on the numbers of possible participants. So far the potentials are : Lister; Mike;Chris M; Dave; David; Brian; Allan; Garth. Last year Chris and I stayed at a Hostel/hotel 1/2 from the start. I rebooked there for the friday evening and took the last four rooms. Rate is $70.00 per night. Alternatively the Silver Cloud Inn, agin 1/2 mile from the start offered a rate of $139.00 per night, down from their ref rate of $240, but require a two night min. Works if you do one day event and return to Seattle the same evening.

The College Inn is somewhat akin to return, for myself, to my twenties. Clean funky rooms with shared washrooms. Make me think of backpacking in Europe. This option is for friday only and allows either a one or two day event.

Check out the web sites:
WWW.CollegeInn.com
WWW.Silvercloud.com
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Thanks a million Garth.

Where are we at on the 1 vs 2 day preferences? Are the posts here in favour of 1 day, the consensus? (gulp)

Where should we stay the second night? I think staying in Portland would be fun.

FWIW, I'd rather spend my money on food and wine than the pricier hotels.

Also, can someone save me looking and tell me when the entry deadline is?

L
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

College Inn website seems to be for something else.

L
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
G.Reid

Post by G.Reid »

Late response to Lister:The deadline for registration in this event is early June, but as it fills up quickly , best to get your registration in earlier. I was going to suggest that those interested in doing the STP get together to discuss the details. Say meeting at the Black Stilt coffee shop, corner of Fort and Richmond this coming Tuesday at 7pm.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Thnaks garth. I'm helping with the high school cycling series this tuesday and won;t be done in time for 7:00.

How about a lunch hour? It's easier for me to fit those in than evening stuff.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)