Polarized training and ride etiquette

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

Lister Farrar

Polarized training and ride etiquette

Post by Lister Farrar »

Last night Martin referenced how the youth program tries to teach that training should be “slow rides slow, hard rides hard”. Here’s a video that talks about what elite athletes are actually doing, and how it applies to those with 7-10 hrs per week to train. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju3McjlSoAg. (short version, research shows even those only training 6-7 hrs a week benefit from easy, steady sessions along with their threshold (tt) and interval rides.)

I find this is key to checking ambitious kids so they don’t grind themselves into a hole, and endurance talent remembers to do intensity for the many crunch points of races. But it also makes rides more social and brings the whole group along.

A key feature the professor says seems to be “checking your ego”. Basically, let the hammerhead go if the ride is supposed to be something else.

In a race, someone surging and attacking a breakaway too far from the finish, is let go, and the rest rotate through at an efficient pace. An ex-pro in my first club liked to say, in a heavy Czech accent, “let heem coook.”

For sure we all like jamming, and it reliably delivers an
endorphin dose. But we can also benefit from easy days between the hard days, and knowing what to do about the surging folks to keep your zen.

This isn’t new. Peter set up the weekly routine wisely: sprint days, hill days, and others steady and not too hard on the hills. I recall Barton organizing rides to be more deliberately slow and steady. As usual, the wisdom is right in front of us. :).
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Rolf

Re: Polarized training and ride etiquette

Post by Rolf »

I love all of this. I'd like to get it in front of as many eyes as possible. Thank you, Lister!
John D

Re: Polarized training and ride etiquette

Post by John D »

Lister Farrar wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:09 pm This isn’t new. Peter set up the weekly routine wisely: sprint days, hill days, and others steady and not too hard on the hills. I recall Barton organizing rides to be more deliberately slow and steady. As usual, the wisdom is right in front of us. :).
Agreed - the weekly TSC ride schedule wasn't designed randomly. Note, too, that it also included days off the bike altogether. Or maybe that's just me. :wink:
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley