Vancouver Triple Crown in September?

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

macraebr

Vancouver Triple Crown in September?

Post by macraebr »

I'm wondering about doing the Vancouver Triple Crown (Seymour, Grouse and Cypress Bowl) on a midweek day trip in September. Anyone interested in joining me?

I would go over by car and have room for another bike and rider (assuming my wife brings a friend to pass the time while I'm riding). Likely 8:00 AM ferry to Tsawwassen. I have a route starting and finishing at Red Truck (https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/110024391). It is about 125 km and 2500m of climbing. Looking at 5-6 hours elapsed riding. Either get an early evening ferry home or stay over to visit friends (I'm from Vancouver originally).

Let me know if you are interested.

Bruce
JamesB

Re: Vancouver Triple Crown in September?

Post by JamesB »

I’d love to make this work Bruce! Had the triple 👑 on my radar for some time now. Lots of weekdays available in my September work schedule. Please find me on Spond and I’ll share my contact info.👍
ThomStubbs

Post by ThomStubbs »

I'm interested too, Bruce. Have flexibility for some weekdays, mostly in September.

I may ride over the day before and stay with family etc.

There are others who may have an interest too.

Thom
macraebr

Post by macraebr »

It looks like my possible days are September 6, 7, 19, 20, and 21. I travel free as a passenger on those days so only have to pay for the car. The most economical car options are on the 7th, 20th and 21st. I'd propose to go out on the 8:00 AM from Swartz Bay and return on the 6:00 PM from Tsawwassen. That gives some time for refreshments when we return to Red Truck at the end of the ride.

As for passengers, I can take one or two cyclists as my wife is looking at 2 or 3 companions for her adventure. Our car holds 6 comfortably. Seating 7 is possbile but rather friendly.

To accommodate the passengers we would have to put the bikes on my hitch mounted bike rack. This has two padded supports for each bike but the bikes hang from the top tube. You'd need to be comfortable with carrying your bike like that. I am prepared to take my carbon-framed Colnago that way.

Once we have landed on a date, perhaps we could open this up on Spond. I can't post there but we could ask someone who can.

Let me know your thoughts on this. We are still at the planning stage so we can be flexible about how we do this.

Bruce
ThomStubbs

Post by ThomStubbs »

Sounds good, Bruce. I would try to make any of those dates work. I'd suggest we make two plans, i.e. September 07 or September 20th and make a call based on weather. It rains a lot on those north shore mountains and a rainy day for a triple crown could be wet.

I would likely ride over and back the days before and after and meet you there.

Thom
JamesB

Post by JamesB »

Both of Thom’s proposed dates work for me.
I would happily join your cozy vehicle Bruce (pls/thx).
As this forum is entirely public, I will send more personal info via Spond direct chat (eg. Work schedule and cell #).
Thanks for stepping up to organize this.🙏🤩
ThomStubbs

Post by ThomStubbs »

Ride posting to be put up this week:

Vancouver Mountains Triple Crown Ride

Bruce Macrae and a few other princelings and princesses are aspiring to grab some crowns.

125kms and 2500m of climbing, only three hills! Here is the suggested route: 
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/110024391

The route conveniently starts and stops at Red Truck Brewing in Vancouver, starting at about 10:30am on September 20th. 

We will make a weather call a few days prior to the ride as it can be wet up those mountains. 

The logistics from Victoria are to carpool across on the 8:00 AM from Swartz Bay and return on the 6:00 PM from Tsawwassen. That gives some time for refreshments when we return to Red Truck at the end of the ride. Bruce currently has room for one or two cyclists as his wife is taking 2 or 3 companions for her adventure. His car holds 6 comfortably. Seating 7 is possible but rather friendly. To accommodate the passengers, bikes would be on his hitch mounted bike rack. This has two padded supports for each bike but the bikes hang from the top tube. You'd need to be comfortable with carrying your bike like that. 

Let Spond know If you are interested. If yes, please say if you could drive over/ car pool or if you would rather find your own way to Red Truck Brewing. 

We look forward to the adventure.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Invitations to a Spond event for sign-up will go out tomorrow morning (Sept. 3) at 9 a.m.

Thanks Thom and Bruce for reviving this Tripleshot ride! Hopefully it can return to a regular annual rotation...