Observatory Hill OPEN to the public!

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Mikael

Observatory Hill OPEN to the public!

Post by Mikael »

Good news for John D., myself and many other riders! Who will be first up to the Observatory?

---included message below---
Hello All,

Well as we have been closed to Covid 19 for just over 2 years it is time to welcome back the public to our beautiful site. As of today at 9:15 the front gate will be open. Vehicle Gate opening times will be Monday to Friday 9:15-5pm. The man gate at the bottom will be open 24/7. This is subject to change as operational requirements dictate.

We have hired a licensed security guard who will patrol and monitor the public who are accessing the site. All requests and or directions from this guard are to be adhered to at all times. At no time will aggressive or abusive behaviour to anyone on site be tolerated. All rules of the site and road must be followed and respected.

Cyclists are to turn around at the first stop sign in the parking lot to the left as you hit the sign. There is ample room to maneuver and a nice stop in the lot to look at Mt. Baker. During working hours Monday to Friday 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM, this is the only approved turn around spot. Outside of regular working hours you can continue to the top for more spectacular views. I have included pictures of the stop sign and the turnaround area to the left. Please familiarize yourselves with this. I reiterate that this rule must be followed and no aggressive or abusive behaviour will be tolerated. Reminder that this is private property and by following the outlined rules we will hopefully be able to provide this privilege for years to come. There is no off road cycling allowed anywhere on our site.

Hikers/ Walkers please stay on the road/ hard pack as we have many areas that are currently under restoration / recovery. Many people walk their dogs on site. If the dogs are under their owners control and do not chase the wildlife (deer) they are not required to be on a leash. However if it is determined that the dogs are chasing wildlife or impeding staff in any manner then it will be mandatory to have them on a leash. Just so you know, that with the lack of people we have had up here, we have a huge influx of wildlife from deer, bears, racoon, eagles, hawks, and to many birds to name. We are still a Species at Risk site so again please stay to the hard pack so we don’t disturb the habitats of many. Removal of any plants, mushrooms, and or animals is illegal and will not be tolerated. Please take pictures only. It is also unlawful to feed the animals so, again, take pictures only.

If at any time you come in contact with staff or the guard please provide 6’ social distancing and or wear a mask. Covid is still out there and we wish everyone to remain healthy and safe at all times. I can’t stress enough to follow all signage, speed limits, and directions from security and staff. Once again, at no time will aggressive or abusive behaviour be tolerated.

Please feel free to reach out to me if there are any questions. Please pass this on to all your members and associates that will wish to use our property.

Thanks

Derek Mann
Site Operations Supervisor

Real Property Planning and Management / Planification et de getion de biens immobiliers
National Research Council Canada / Conseil national de recherches Canada
5071 W Saanich Rd, Victoria, BC V9E 2E7
Government of Canada / Gouvemement du Canada

Phone 250 363 0004 \ Fax 250 363 0077 \ Cell 250 888 1093 \ Derek.Mann@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca

----included message above--
[please turn head or viewing device 90 degrees to view photos]
Attachments
Stop Sign 2.jpg
Stop Sign 1.jpg