Greetings

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

Phoenix

Greetings

Post by Phoenix »

Hi!

I've just joined the club, mainly to help my progression from a Triathlete/ time trialist to group cyclist. I am racing world championships in Montreal in June. Unbeknownst to me until far too late, it's a draft legal race :shock: . As I have virtually zero group riding skills (other than some Velo track), I'm pretty sure I'm going to die there :lol: unless I start very aggressively learning the needed skills.

If anyone can help with this, coffee/beer is on me.

Cheers!

Vince G
JamesB

Re: Greetings

Post by JamesB »

Hey Vince … So group riding skills hey … hmmmm, what to say. Well, firstly, I can and will only speak to my own experience here. Can’t speak on behalf of anyone else much less the club but here are some thoughts.

Group riding is something I would suggest anyone - especially a high level athelete - approach less with “aggression” and more with “patience” … Patience for Yourself as the learner and everyone else you’re riding with. You see, every ride is a learning experience. A combination of obvious and subtle cues to pick up on for Yourself and other riders while sharing the ride together.

BTW when I say “patience” please know that that is coming from a life-long Leafs Fan … yes, yesterday’s game was especially hard to watch.

I can pretty much guarantee you’ve come to the right place for the long term patient payoff and over post ride coffee you’ll find most of us happy to share more “strategic” details that might help you in your personal competitive racing, but I think with only some 4 weeks before you’re big race, maybe better to set your sights slightly low (only to likely exceed them) rather than too high and fall short - possibly with injury due to a crash or something silly.

Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays are likely to be your best opportunities for these shared experiences. I’d suggest you try starting in C … we all start there in fact. The benefits of drafting are indeed HUGE - but only if done safely and some of our “rotations” change slightly from ride to ride and group to group. Sounds to me like one or two rides in C and you’ll be moving up the ladder persay, B3 … B2 … B1. The key is to not sacrifice any group safety as you climb the ladder.

Sign up on Spond for tomorrow’s C ride, maybe Friday’s as well and expect something awesome like this:

https://vimeo.com/rolfwarburton/2022springrevival

Then come to coffee to consolidate the experience and consider other options.
Welcome to Canada’s Coolest Cycling Club Vince! Look forward to riding with You soon.
Bosie

Post by Bosie »

Hi Vince,
I agree with James that its an acquired skill and patience is important.

If you are world championship level, C ride might be a bit weak for you and frustrating and you will be able to move up almost immediately. You could probably skip a few levels(maybe even skip C:))

I think if you turned up for any ride and let everyone know you are a beginner in groups they will look out for you. B1/ Sunday Social are a good level potentially where it will be an easier pace, but with enough people around with the requisite skills to help you.
Just dont turn up on a TT bike:) You cant ride safely in groups on a TT bike.

Feeling comfortable in close quarters and drafting will be a huge benefit to you in draft legal races.
Craig B.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Thanks, Ok yea, i think I'll do that.

What is this spond thing?
Ann

Post by Ann »

Phoenix wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:50 pm Thanks, Ok yea, i think I'll do that.

What is this spond thing?
Hi Vince,

Spond is the app we use to organize our rides. After joining the club, you should have received an email with lots of info, including how to get into Spond. Please check your spam folder if you don’t see it in your inbox.

If you have more questions about how to join, feel free to email the club at tripleshotcyclingclub at gmail dot com.

Ann