VCL SPEEDWAY - Wednesday, April 20

Moderator: mfarnham

Rolf

VCL SPEEDWAY - Wednesday, April 20

Post by Rolf »

VCL #4 blasts off tomorrow night. 🏁 Hosted by Tripleshot! 💙🧡🖤

Register NOW online at https://www.webscorer.com/register?raceid=273555. Limited on-site registration starts at 5:30; racing at 6:00 (C), 6:30 (B), 7:15 (A).

Bring $15 ($10 for juniors), your CBC licence*, and signed waiver (see link). And watch that rush-hour traffic from downtown to Millstream doesn't hold you up! Or better yet: ride out on your bike. 🚴🏻
*NOTE: Please bring some proof of licensing to all VCL events this year. If you are racing A or B you will need a provincial race licence.

More race notes from our awesome lead volunteer on this event, John Taylor:

This venue is an amazing place to get started. No parked cars, no pot-holes or gravel and, to some extent, no-drops. That is, if you can't keep up, just take a short rest and rejoin the pack a minute later when they lap you. We will have A, B, and C races. C is for beginners and, at this time of the year, it's a great place for first-timers. Your race will last about 30 minutes.

It is also a great venue for watching races. Music and you can see the entire course from the stands (unlike street circuits).

Racers will tend to improve (over the season) faster than regular riders who don't race. I mention this to encourage those who are keen but apprehensive (race-curious), to enter now. It will be harder, even in C, to start in June.

Most people ride to the race. If you drive, be sure to give yourself time to deal with traffic.

Cheers,

JohnT
JohnT

Re: VCL SPEEDWAY - Wednesday, April 20

Post by JohnT »

Sign-up open at 5:30 pm.

C race at 6 pm (20 min + 5), B race at 6:30 pm (25 min + 5), and A race at 7:15 pm (30 min + 5).

Note small change of race length for B racers and start time and length for A racers.

Cheers,

John
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Despite the forecast, we had three races and no rain.... OK, no rain during the races. It did rain a little before we got going, so the track was a bit slick. The C race set the stage. Spencer and two TS youth broke out of the 'mature' group. This 3-man breakaway lasted for several early laps. The 'youth' (I will fill in names later) eventually ended up back in the main pack, but Spencer held, and then lengthened, the gap and after about 10 laps had made it all the way around, meaning the pack he caught would be racing for second. Same thing happened 30 min later in B, with Chad lapping the field. Then, the A race. Clayton (I think), broke out of the group. The catch required help. Two team-mates dropped back leaving the main pack to help him finish the job of lapping the field. For the third time in three races, the sprint at the finish was for second place. Thanks to everyone who starred down the forecast. We had about 35 racers in total... enough to pay for the track and enough for some fantastic racing. There was one accident that I'll mention later when I've got a little more time for typing. Speedway race #3 is in two weeks. The last Speedway race is in June. I will try to make that a HUGE event. If any of you have idea about sources of prize $$, please let me know. We might start races a little late, giving time for people to make it from Nanaimo.
John
Roland

Post by Roland »

Is there a Speedway tomorrow? I don't see a registration link.
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
Ann

Post by Ann »

Checking...