Liability insurance for non-club rides

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

LaniT

Liability insurance for non-club rides

Post by LaniT »

Hi all,

You might have heard about how a cyclist in Vancouver was hit by a car and then presented with a bill for nearly $4000 by ICBC for damage to the car because the bike was an "uninsured vehicle". I understand that we have liability insurance for property damage while on club rides but this doesn't extend to non-club rides.

Does anybody have any advice or recommendations for liability insurance options that cover personal non-club rides? Feel free to speak to me like I'm a 10 year old :lol: since I don't really understand legalese!
JamesB

Re: Liability insurance for non-club rides

Post by JamesB »

Hey Lani - I too share your interest in better understanding insurance implications when on or not on club rides. I personally suspect we might get better direction on this by asking CBC as I’m thinking it’s our CBC membership dues that collectively puts us under the blanket insurance coverage. Special events like TDV or a Grand Fondo (as I understand it) have seperate, event-specific, insurance which is included in our fees for that event. I hate to think ICBC is wanting us to buy stand alone cycling insurance. If and when You get any answers or a clearer understanding, I for one would be happy to read about it. Thanks.
Bosie

Post by Bosie »

CBC insurance covers all affiliated rides:
https://cyclingbc.net/membership/insurance/members/

The new ICBC rules are a significant change for us cyclists as basically we now have to personally insure ourselves against everything. ICBC insurance covers very little.

Another area that is important is disability insurance:

Under the new ICBC no fault insurance, you are able to get up to 90% of $100000 pre tax earnings from ICBC. Everything after that will require your own personal insurance. SO: If you are minding your own business and are wiped out by a drunk, you have no recourse and will get 90% of $100000 pre tax maximum. No recourse if you dont like the adjudication either.
Craig B.
Gerry L

Post by Gerry L »

I am not an insurance expert but some home insurance policies may cover liability claims. This should cover repairs to the offending vehicle or persons involved but you would need to check your policy very carefully for coverage.

I personally had an incident 2 years ago (details at coffee) bike vs. SUV where ICBC did not cover anything and dealing with my home insurance was a definite hassle. I ended up covering the claim out of my own pocket which was not inexpensive (I did manage to have a crooked tooth straightened as a bonus).

I found this company online https://www.pedalpowerinsurance.ca/ that offers inexpensive liability insurance but I have not dealt with it personally. It might be difficult to find insurance for long term care of catastrophic injuries.

Gerry
Curran

Post by Curran »

After the ICBC rebates from no-fault, we get to navigate a new world as cyclists....

FWIW, checked with our home insurance, and the 3rd party liability portion of the home insurance would cover the scenario of my fragile body denting the hood of a poor motorist should ICBC come knocking for $s to recoup their expenses. At least in theory. In an ideal world. Subject to .... :)

Like all insurance products devil is in the details and you don't really know how it'll play till something happens. Looking forward to getting back to group rides more where CBC insurance covers us!

- Curran
JamesB

Post by JamesB »

Am I hearing this correctly, cuz it’s sounding a lot like: “Spond for the win” …!? :shock:
LaniT

Post by LaniT »

Thanks for the input so far. My limited understanding is that home insurance might offer some coverage but it's likely to be minimal if anything at all. It's crazy that a negligent driver can hit a cyclist and the cyclist is then on the hook for damages to their vehicle.

Is there any interest in, as a club, asking for advice from The Cycling Lawyer? https://thecyclinglawyer.com
JamesB

Post by JamesB »

Ask, and ye shall receive!! :mrgreen:

Learn all about Cycling BC's insurance policy coverage for members at an upcoming information session.

Date: Wednesday, May 4, 2022
Time: 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM

Location: Virtual Zoom Meeting, https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87206465267?p ... k4Y05vQT09
Meeting ID: 872 0646 5267
Passcode: 219805
JamesB

Post by JamesB »

Would it be of benefit to remind or share this info with fellow TSers on Spond (eg. A new post by the Exec).
If I’m understanding things correctly (that’s always 50/50 at best though 🥴) even a solo ride - but one planned/organized within the club - (eg. on Spond) could remain insured for the rider while another that happens entirely without club notice might not be.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Thanks, James. Looks like a helpful session. I agree it would be a good thing to post on Spond.

Can you please confirm the Zoom is open to all members? I can't find any mention of it on the CBC website or any listing on their Events calendar.
JamesB

Post by JamesB »

I cut and pasted what came to my email address today from CBC … Pretty sure it was meant for all CBC members but can’t say that explicitly with 100% confidence I guess. Maybe someone else who might have gotten the same email can add to this?
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Thanks, James. Every Tripleshot member should have gotten the same email, since we're all Cycling BC members. I didn't see mine right away.. 8)

We'll post to Spond Sunday or Monday so people get the reminder in that crucial 2-3 day planning window.
JamesB

Post by JamesB »

I wasn’t able to attend. I did however send them an email with my questions and they replied to confirm they would be addressed.

Anybody who was able to join care to comment on what was said or shared? Thx.
Gerry L

Post by Gerry L »

CBC news article: "ICBC changes policy after outcry over repair bill sent to injured cyclist"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.6441696
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Cycling BC has posted a recording of last week's insurance session, along with the slide deck used: https://cyclingbc.net/news/2022/05/06/v ... n-session/