Weekly cx/gravel routes (solo/bubble) for month of April

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

Claire

Weekly cx/gravel routes (solo/bubble) for month of April

Post by Claire »

There was such enthusiastic uptake on James's weekly ride concept in February that it seems a shame to lose that momentum. And I know we all like a pre-planned ride route from time to time to avoid having to dream something up each time we head out the door.

For now, I'm just announcing my intention to do this for the coming four weeks. Each Sunday (or Saturday, if I get really organized), I'll post a Strava route here that should be manageable as a pre-work weekday ride for most. For the last two weeks, I'm thinking I'll add a second (optional), longer and more technical route that could be done on a weekend and/or by folks leading the retired/self-employed/laid-off lifestyle. :D

I'm not incentivizing participation with points or prizes, but I may bestow cookies on a few people in a random draw at the end of the month (which could be collected when pandemic is less of an issue, depending on PHOs and/or people's comfort levels).

I'll start all the routes at the "new blue bridge" but they will head in various directions to hopefully accommodate anyone starting from wherever their homebases may be. Routes will be roughly 30-40km but of course there's no requirement to follow the directions to a T. If there were to be cookie-ballots allotted for participation, I'd be flexible enough to recognize decent attempts, not just strict adherence to the routes.

If anyone has any suggestions on the process or the routes themselves... stories to share about navigating them, or other thoughts on the concept, post here and hopefully the traffic on this old forum will tick up a little over the coming month.
Ann

Re: Weekly cx/gravel routes (solo/bubble) for month of April

Post by Ann »

Great idea, Claire! Thanks for getting this going!
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Yay Claire! Yay more routes to try! Yay trail riding!

(Yay forum! 8) )
Claire

Post by Claire »

Here's the route for week one, April 5-11: https://www.strava.com/routes/2813641152809400580

It's more 'urban' than my usual, but don't worry, there'll be lots of rocks and roots in future routes. This has a few cool lookouts and some fun detours off the 'usual' routes (I think/hope).

This is a slightly shorter variation on a ride I did a couple of months ago (which, if you have time for 50km, is more of the same scenic, urban loveliness): https://www.strava.com/activities/4642346573

NOTE: I rode Anderson Hill Park which (unbeknownst to me at the time) is a no-no zone for bikes. So, either skip it (there's a road running parallel) or walk your bike to check out the prettiness and return next time on foot with your family!

Also, on the 'actual' (shorter) route, I had to draw lines 'manually' a few times -- like through the Vic West skate park (which, if it's daylight, I don't recommend competing with skaters for!), Porter Park (off Fairlfield) and Camosun College. So if these are areas you've ridden before and/or you see a trail that looks fun, just follow your nose.

Finally, if you DO happen to encounter any 'No Bikes' signs, that's an oops and please only bike where we're allowed!
JamesB

Post by JamesB »

Sounds and looks GREAT Claire - thanks for this. Perfect timing for sure!
Sunscreen - check. Trail bike - check! Ready to Rock - CHECK!
Let's do this!
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

JamesB

Post by JamesB »

Yuuupp! I don't have the fancy GIFs here, but JT and I did find our way around your awesome route today Claire! :mrgreen: Thanks - it was a beauty day for sure.
Claire

Post by Claire »

Speaking of beauty days, what about this weather forecast. OMG, could spring finally be here?

Here's a 30km route that starts and stops at Switch Bridge (sorry, I know I said I'd base them out of downtown, but I hit Hartland this weekend and really must share...and this route comes in at under 30km with a SB start).

https://www.strava.com/routes/2778891948893131858

The Hartland section is fairly short and straightforward. If you know the trails and/or follow trail signs (or the All Trails app), just follow Madonna Trail, N Trail, Heads Up, Two Trees and the southernmost segment of Shock Treatment then exit the park via Executive. If Hartland is still a quagmire for you, just stay on the Regional Trail (under the power lines) until the turnoff to Executive (which takes you out of the park, mostly downhill, to Prospect Lake).

p.s. Sorry this is a day late!
JamesB

Post by JamesB »

Looks and sounds great Claire - thx. And yes, with this weather - let's hit it!
I'd like to propose a Wednesday social (non-TS-sanctioned ... but if it helps we could organize it in Spond) ride of this one ... I'll adjust my schedule to the group's intentions for start time ... any takers?
gwpye

Post by gwpye »

James,

I may be interested. What time did you have in mind? I was planning to join one of the TS Wednesday morning CX rides.
JamesB

Post by JamesB »

We could try to get it done within the Wed CX ride ... or do it separately. I suppose it depends if we both manage to get on that ride and if we can talk the others into it also! I'm game either way but a full crew would be nice!
gwpye

Post by gwpye »

Doing it just the Wed CX ride works for me.
markus

Post by markus »

Looks like a great route. I'll see if I can make it happen this week.

One question - That cut-through at the end of Excelsior Road. Is that legitimate? I have taken it a couple of times and it always feels like I am biking through someone's back yard....
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

It's legit, Markus, in that the owners welcome responsible use. There's even an active campaign to have the parcel containing it turned into a park.

More details here: http://www.tripleshotcycling.ca/forum/v ... 587#p43587
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

JamesB wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:56 am Looks and sounds great Claire - thx. And yes, with this weather - let's hit it!
I'd like to propose a Wednesday social (non-TS-sanctioned ... but if it helps we could organize it in Spond) ride of this one ... I'll adjust my schedule to the group's intentions for start time ... any takers?
I thought the concept of these rides was that were for individuals or bubbles, i.e. off Spond. My inside information is that BH is about to tighten the noose even further -- organizing an open social ride through Spond just doesn't seem compatible with where we're at in the pandemic. Maybe this is just me -- a view that may change after I get my first shot later this afternoon :D.

And thanks for the route, Claire. I'm looking forward to riding it.
JamesB

Post by JamesB »

WOW - what a beautiful route Claire! An awesome mix of everything and just the right amounts. Like you said, the Hartland stuff can be bypassed but those trails were so cool - and just techy enough. I'll certainly be riding this one again soon. Thanks Claire. :D
Claire

Post by Claire »

I started scrolling through my Strava feed in an attempt to track who's done the routes so far but that was going to take forever...plus I don't follow everyone who's doing/done them so that won't work.

So, if anyone's interested in a notional prize of hypothetical cookies (and/or beer that I may or may not be re-prizing), then please make known your route completion(s) here. Just a simple post in this thread something like:

James B: week 1 x 1, week 2 x 3, etc...

...would be great. Feel free to report on behalf of your friends/ride mates. Save them all up til the end or add as you go. This thread I can keep track of. Infinite Strava feeds...less so.
JamesB

Post by JamesB »

So only because some are more "bashful" about this than me, and cause these routes are awesome ...

WEEK 1
John F (aka JT) X 1
Mikael J X 1
James B X 1
others please add your names here

WEEK 2

Ron S X 1
Andy B X 1
Martin F X 1
Carey N X 1
Geoff P X 1
Matt T X 1

Rolf W X 1
Damian P X 2
Markus P X 1
Adam L X 1
Zlatan F X 1
James B X 3 (yeah ... that was a fun route Claire!) :mrgreen:

others, please add your names here
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

No prizes desired or expected, Claire.

Riding someone else’s cool assembly of our lovely trails is reward enough for me. Thank you!
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Week 2
John F. (unscathed)
Jill P. (attacked by a bush of grizzly berries and scratched all up to hell)
Joan M. (sprained finger)
Rick A. (unscathed)
Shelagh M. (brawl with the broom)
Ann C. (aka Ann P.; unscathed)