A bucket list trip - French Alps Cols

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

macraebr

A bucket list trip - French Alps Cols

Post by macraebr »

This is a request for any advice and guidance you can give for a trip to climb the big cols in the French Alps. If anyone has experience on trips to that area I would be grateful for any input. COVID permitting, I would like to go late August or early September 2021. We'll see how vaccinations and travel restrictions make this possible or not. I'm looking at staying 1-2 weeks and doing a big col every other day - that should be more doable given my age and recovery time. Having travelled on the Continent a lot when I lived in the UK, I'd rather organize this myself over taking a group or private tour company. Being retired I have the time to make arrangements.

My English cycling club has done trips to the Continent most years (often to spring classics and/or Mallorca for short trips, had to abort trip to Girona in 2020). They have suggested potential Alps bases as Bourg d'Oisans, Annecy (to fly to rather than to stay), La Chambre or Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne (easiest for Glandon, Croix de Fer, Madeleine, Telegraphe, Galibier, Montvernier, Mollard, Chaussy - other cols are available).

I'll probably take my own bike but the English club has recommended a bike rental near Saint Jean if I need it.

I'm open to others joining this trip. It might make the climbs more bearable ;D .

Please feel free to provide any comments, input, recommendations, experience, or guidance. I am relatively inexperienced at bike centric travel so appreciate any wisdom you have to offer.

Thanks in advance,

Bruce