Cycling BC Board

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

Bosie

Cycling BC Board

Post by Bosie »

Hi Folks,

Despite COVID, this time of year presents AGMs and Board elections.

Cycling BC Board elections will be taking place as you are probably aware.

When I was elected to the Board about 5 years ago, we set about rebuilding the organization and employed the current Executive Director, Erin Waugh, who has proved to be extremely strong and has grown the organization into something useful which now adds value to cyclists in the Province.

In order to continue building the organization, executive Directors require functional Boards and Board members who understand the role of Boards and their role in oversight. Cycling BC, in the past, has a history of having Board members elected who have a narrow focus and often are inexperienced in governance. It is my hope that during this election, we can continue to elect strong Board members who can oversee the organization, support it and help the executive director continue to build it. The Island has been represented on the Board in recent years with excellent service from Jon Watkin and Parker Bloom.

With this background and for those who are looking for candidates to vote for, I would recommend the following roster:

Dave Dieboldt
Matt Usborne
Andrea Wooles

With the following alternates:
Greg Ambrosi
Warren Wong

Whilst it might not feel like an important organization to vote for, Cycling BC plays a critical part in advocating and building our sport/ recreation and having a strong Board is crucial to maintaining it.

Regards,

Craig Bosenberg
Craig B.
sailor

Re: Cycling BC Board

Post by sailor »

Craig,

Does Cycling BC have any interest in, advocate for, or is looking at advocating for updating the BC Motor Vehicle Act?
Bosie

Post by Bosie »

This was a subject of interest when I was on the Board.

At the time,the focus of the organization was felt to be in other areas though and, as such, we elected to direct the organization to use its resources in those areas as opposed to this area.

This may have changed over the last few years.

I do know that they work with other agencies around common issues like this though.

Regards,

Craig
Craig B.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Tim, the BC Cycling Coalition is likely the best-positioned to work on MVA advocacy: https://www.bccc.bc.ca/

A good related blog post on their site is here.