Looking for input on weight loss from riding.

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

rduncan

Looking for input on weight loss from riding.

Post by rduncan »

Hi all,

So one of the unintended consequences of riding these past couple years is that I’ve gone from 188 lbs to 172 lbs. I thought I had levelled out at 175- a weight I felt comfortable with- but I seem to still be dropping.

Aside from the obvious conclusion of just taking in more calories, which I’m having a hard time doing, I’m wondering what to do to stop it. Has anyone else experienced this? And if so how did you deal with it apart from just accepting it as a natural consequence?

Thanks
Rob
Rob Duncan
NickLosier

Re: Looking for input on weight loss from riding.

Post by NickLosier »

Rob,

Weight change is the result of a imbalance between calories absorbed and calories consumed by your body.
There's nothing else to it no matter which way you want the numbers to go.

I wouldn't think it's much of a cause to worry. Just means more beer after rides
John D

Post by John D »

Hi Rob...I share your pain - sort of. :wink:

Hi all,

So one of the unintended consequences of not riding these past couple months is that I’ve gone from a large number of lbs to an even larger number of lbs. I thought I had levelled out at that very large number - a weight that I really hoped would go down - but I seem to still be gaining.

Aside from the obvious conclusion of just taking in fewer calories, which I’m having a hard time doing, I’m wondering what to do to stop it. Has anyone else experienced this? And if so how did you deal with it apart from just accepting it as a natural consequence?

Thanks
JD
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
rduncan

Post by rduncan »

Touche John. I know weight is a sensitive subject to broach for many and I realize that my post could have come off the wrong way. It wasn't my intent.
Rob Duncan
John D

Post by John D »

No worries Rob...I was actually writing on behalf of my long-suffering summer road-bike, which has being going above and beyond the call of duty lately. :wink:

JD
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

Hi Rob,

I'm no doctor, but I would say if your Body Mass Index isn't under 18.5 then don't worry about it: https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educat ... micalc.htm

If you really want to gain weight you could always try to increase your muscle mass through a work-out routine. You will need to consume enough protein to sustain your muscle gain though.

Stéphane
rduncan

Post by rduncan »

This is perfect.

Thanks Stéphane.
Rob Duncan
Bosie

Post by Bosie »

Rob, if you are dropping weight and dont intend to, its probably worth going to see your GP to make sure there isnt another underlying reason.

Otherwise just be happy you can beat us heavier folks up the hills even more:)

Craig
Craig B.