Where to get Repairs During Covid

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

codhalibut

Where to get Repairs During Covid

Post by codhalibut »

I need to get some repairs done and two shops I spoke to said they are booking about 3 weeks in advance, due to demand and limited employees during social distancing. Any recommendations?

PS I am having wheel problems. My cassette doesn’t fit the freehub of the “new to me” wheel. I attempted to fix it myself but realized that I was in over my head. Feel free to text or call with any suggestions.

Thanks,
Todd Hallett
250-418-5188
rduncan

Re: Where to get Repairs During Covid

Post by rduncan »

Hi Todd.

Most, if not all, bike shops are open. Just pick your favourite. If the cassette doesn’t fit then it’s not compatible with your freehub (or you just have the alignment off). Shimano SRAM and campy each have different freehub body types. Thankfully it’s eas y to buy the correct freehub and swap it out.
Rob Duncan
Robgrant

Re: Where to get Repairs During Covid

Post by Robgrant »

Depends on what you mean doesn't fit:
1) It has the wrong freehub body- ie you have a Shimano cassette but an SRAM XD freehub. That needs either a new free hub or new cassette. Free hub is specific for the hub you have.
2) The cassette goes on, but it is loose. This means all the splines match up, but no matter how tight the lock ring is, the cassette is still floppy. This can happen for a number of reasons (9 sp cassette on a 11sp hub, mountain cassette on road hub, etc). All you need in this case is a spacer to fill up the space between your free hub and cassette.
3) cassette goes on but is too wide and you can't screw the lock ring on. Do you have a spacer this isn't necessary? Did you buy and old wheelset that doesn't fit you new 11sp cassette? You need a new freehub body, or a metal file and some time.

Swapping the freehub is generally easy as Rob D says.
Velo News is a great resource
https://www.velonews.com/gear/technical ... atibility/