Gravel ride "with friends" (but actually solo)

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

Claire

Gravel ride "with friends" (but actually solo)

Post by Claire »

I've posted a ride idea for a virtual group ride (but on actual bikes, outside) under the "Tripleshot Cycling" forum.

Check it out for something a little different.

Claire
mandreassen

Re: Gravel ride "with friends" (but actually solo)

Post by mandreassen »

Thanks for setting up this sweet route Claire! Shall we just call it..."Claire's cool cross connections"? I'll be following the little blue line on the map in the near future.
Claire

Post by Claire »

No, we shouldn't! I tried to come up with a clever name for this style of ride that would be work for future iterations, too - since, hopefully, mine will just be the first and not the only one. But, I was tired out from route-building (and pressured by a few to just get 'er done...ahem) so didn't get to that part.

If anyone has a cool idea for a hashtag or catchy theme name, let's hear it! Then we can label our Strav'activities with a united title.
mandreassen

Post by mandreassen »

There was no pressure Claire! Lol, maybe a little excitement though...Well my title is a no...Anyone else? TS Gravelgrinding solitude edition(EP1)?
Last edited by mandreassen on Fri May 01, 2020 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
rduncan

Post by rduncan »

Super cool Claire. I’m riding it tomorrow AM
Rob Duncan
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Fun idea, Claire. The Stucky ride was a blast and worth replicating. I may not have time for this weekend's route; but you've got some neat ideas here. 8) I hope this becomes a regular thing!

Some name offerings (in ascending order of silliness):
  1. Soloshot Gravel Grinds
  2. Tripleshot Solo Discovery* Routes
  3. Tripleshot Isoilation Rides
  4. Gravel-Love in the Time of Covid
  5. Follow the Knob! — Tripleshot Solo Group Gravel Rides
  6. Finding Your Whey: Tripleshot Cycling's Sumptuous, Mixed-Medium Meals of Delicious Dirt to be Enjoyed Alone (With or Without Cheese)
*May be able to prise a bag or two of beans from Disco as a prize for this one...
benmoore

Post by benmoore »

#clairescross
benmoore

Post by benmoore »

Unless this is going to be a running thing! In which case Rolf’s ideas probably run better.

An idea on that note: what if each time someone does a route, they nominate the next person? So Claire would nominate #2 and so forth and each week or so we get a fresh challenge in place of the usual Sunday rides?

#solosundays ?
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

Am I the only one who is intimidated by the idea of striking forth on possibly unknown trails in the bush solo? Perhaps it is my wild imagination but I think of carnivores, mechanicals and getting hopelessly lost....

Maybe we could form some socially distanced "teams" for these route challenges. And how easy are these routes to follow if you don't have a garmin?

I know I am personally MORE than ready for the group cross exploration rides to re-start!
schouten

Post by schouten »

I like exploring maps and heading out with my Garmin (miss guided hilarity included). Garmin worked really well for me Friday and helped me recognize early when I went off course.
Bandit
benmoore

Post by benmoore »

LouiseF wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:32 pm Am I the only one who is intimidated by the idea of striking forth on possibly unknown trails in the bush solo? Perhaps it is my wild imagination but I think of carnivores, mechanicals and getting hopelessly lost....

Maybe we could form some socially distanced "teams" for these route challenges. And how easy are these routes to follow if you don't have a garmin?

I know I am personally MORE than ready for the group cross exploration rides to re-start!
If you load the route in Strava or your Garmin/Wahoo you shouldn’t have issues getting lost. As for wild animals and mechanicals, bells and/or beaus are probably your best bet there.

And who knows, maybe we’ll get some good news about group rides when they announce the plan for easing restrictions next week!
Claire

Post by Claire »

So much riding happening this weekend. I love it! Thanks to everyone who's taken on my not-so-little route so far.

I added the cookies-as-prize idea to make it light and fun, but if anyone is not interested, it's totally fine if just having the adventure was prize enough! Also, if for COVID reasons, you (the winning prizer) want to delay cookie delivery, let me know.

In order to save me combing my Strava feed for who's completed this, and possibly missing people if I don't follow you, can you folks post below in this thread if you've done it? Copy/paste from below...

*Note on a technicality: I understand some are conflicted about riding "solo" and I'm not going to be the social-isolation police. But, as with the StuckyLife ride, the idea of this ride was to come together virtually while we are still isolating (to varying degrees). As such, only those who completed the route solo (other than accidental path-crossings) are eligible for the prize. Solo rides are just what I'm most comfortable with and was my choice of theme for this adventure.

Who's done it:
Alan Cook
Darryl Woodley
Alan Cassels
Rolf
Dave Dallin
Todd H
Rob Duncan
Louise F
Michelle D
Amy Errington
Last edited by Claire on Sun May 03, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rduncan

Post by rduncan »

Claire, what do you think of Bens idea above? Nominate someone to organize the next one, or does someone want to volunteer? My route skills are infantile otherwise I would step up.
Rob Duncan
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Claire wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:53 pm I won't weigh in on the latest science and chance of transmission between people.
Please do Claire, after 40 years as a working scientist I'm still all ears. And while you're at it, and out of respect of my privacy, please remove my name from your ad hoc list. As you well know, I'm private on Strava, and I do not appreciate you trolling the Strava feeds of others, finding my name and putting it on your list.
Last edited by JTyre on Mon May 04, 2020 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claire

Post by Claire »

JTyre wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:00 pm ...please remove my from your ad hoc list. As you well know, I'm private on Strava, and I do not appreciate you trolling the Strava feeds of others, finding my name and putting it on your list.
Done. Though I did no "trolling". I follow other people and there were photos and things.
Last edited by Claire on Sun May 03, 2020 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claire

Post by Claire »

benmoore wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:33 pm
An idea on that note: what if each time someone does a route, they nominate the next person? So Claire would nominate #2 and so forth and each week or so we get a fresh challenge in place of the usual Sunday rides?

#solosundays ?
Sounds fun, but I don't want to put anyone on the spot. It'll probably work best if it's a volunteer thing (rather than voluntold). I'm happy to put together another some time, but hopefully after at least a couple other people have given it a shot.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Hi Claire: I took the photo of Alan taking a photo of John. Clearly we meet your conditions for disqualification and you'd best take Alan and me off your cookie list too.

(Don't want any of the cookie-hopefuls to be cross with us!)

I've got loads of routes coming out my ears and can step up whenever...
mandreassen

Post by mandreassen »

Who's done it:
Alan Cook
Darryl Woodley
Alan Cassels
Rolf
Dave Dallin
Todd H
Rob Duncan
Louise F
Michelle D
Amy Errington
Mark Andreassen
Claire

Post by Claire »

I'm not taking anyone off the list. It's just a tally of who travelled the route. If I apply a solo-filter, it'll happen offline.

This is starting to feel uncomfortable so I'm going to bow out of this thread. I guess there are varying interpretations of what's "okay" wrt group activities. I thought the official line was to exercise alone or with people of your household, but if it's broader than that now, that's awesome.

I look forward to regular group rides a whole lot!
jbarrett

Post by jbarrett »

Do we have to "Accept Cookies" to keep going? :lol: