Solo rides

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

JTyre

Solo rides

Post by JTyre »

Ironically, with this pandemic I'm more in touch with colleagues, friends, and family than ever before. One thing that I learnt today from a colleague at John Hopkins (in climate not health) is that only solo riding is permitted in Maryland (except with someone you're living with).

On this point, Alan and I got seriously jeered at twice on a crossride last weekend - even though we were very well separated. These angry people were not even swayed when I told them that Alan was my husband. Sadly, either was Alan :D.
Alan

Re: Solo rides

Post by Alan »

I second those remarks.
The city is getting fricken paranoid and you sure see it on full display when riding a bike.

Not only are walkers really bold in voicing their assessment of how close you are riding to your fellow buddy, as in "Hey You, Social Isolation" which some self-righteous walker shouted, but they are also clearly homophobic.

How did the women who shouted at us " hey guys, six feet" not intuit that Johnny and I were lovers and therefore already perfectly co-infected?
(It's admitted really hard to know what Johnny Tyre thinks of me)

bikehart

Post by bikehart »

This would be the source of the paranoia:
https://covid19.healthdata.org/projection
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

bikehart wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:12 pm This would be the source of the paranoia:
https://covid19.healthdata.org/projection
Of course, Hugh.

I'm struggling to understand the social distancing guidelines here in BC with respect to riding. In Maryland, solo riding only. In Italy, France, etc. NO riding whatsoever. What are the real or perceived guidelines here? Having people yelling at me on the street when I'm riding many metres away from a riding partner has me wondering.
schouten

Post by schouten »

If y'all were riding a tandem there would have been no question :wink:
Bandit
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

JTyre wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:20 pm What are the real or perceived guidelines here? Having people yelling at me on the street when I'm riding many metres away from a riding partner has me wondering.
Hey Johnny, I think it doesn't matter what the guidelines may be, these days some people will always resent seeing a couple of fellows clearly enjoying themselves (and deigning to ride their self-propelled contraptions on roads clearly intended for motor vehicles. :roll: )

But Cycling BC does have some helpful Covid-19 FAQs on their website, developed with Cycling Canada. They include the following:
Can I still leave my house to ride my bike?
While the Government of Canada has not prohibited outdoor cycling, your local health authority may have stricter policies that you should observe. If it is permitted where you live and you do decide to go out, it is critical that you practice physical distancing and good hygiene. At all times keep a physical distance of 2 metres from others and avoid crowded areas. Be self-sufficient on your rides and ride your bike responsibly. With such intense pressure on our healthcare system, it is each of our responsibility to manage risk wherever we can. Stick to routes you know well that are close to home and avoid crossing provincial borders. Only go out for a ride once a day or as is strictly necessary. Additionally, please respect any national and provincial park trail closures.

Do not organize group rides, only ride with people you already live with.

If cyclists do not practice proper social distancing, the government may feel it has no choice but to intervene and prevent all outdoor riding which has happened in some other countries.
This last point may actually be the most compelling reason to avoid brazenly riding together with others, even if done safely and practising good hygiene (no drafting, increasing distance with speed etc.) I think it's also why dark & early is still best. 8)

(And no more crossing provincial borders!)
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Thanks you, Rolf. That's really helpful information and advice.
Alan wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:15 pm It's admitted really hard to know what Johnny Tyre thinks of me

Alan, I know I'm stingy with my feelings, but when it comes to your tight little navy butt I sometimes can't help myself.

Claire

Post by Claire »

Yes, we miss our buddies. Yes, solo riding is quickly losing its appeal (I speak for myself here...I'm hanging in but it's way less fun all alone). Yes, rules really suck, especially when "we are healthy" and we (believe we) understand the risks and aren't taking any (barely).

But, really, at this point, solo riding is really the soundest option. The optics of riding obviously "together" (even at 2m separation) aren't good. Not to mention the near-impossibility of maintaining that separation religiously for a ride in the trails (also not to mention the flying sweat beads, breath moisture and nasal drips that make a 2m separation likely insufficient). And, heaven forbid a new decree comes down and quashes our little mind-saving outdoor pursuits altogether.

For my part, I'll be riding solo (or with Steve) until this thing is more certainly in retreat. Thank goodness for Strava, Rolf's daily forum photos, impending summery weather and memories!

This too shall pass. See y'all soon(ish).
benmoore

Post by benmoore »

I agree with Claire here, and can even admit to hesitating on offering those well-earned “kudos” on Strava when it’s clear that riders are obviously still heading out in pairs or groups. I can’t help seeing it as a pretty flagrant flouting of civic duty in this context.

Sure, you can tell yourself that you’re staying 6’ or even 10’ apart, or that single track helps disperse droplets because of all those corners, but the reality is, you have no idea how much is really needed on a bike. New studies are coming out all the time, and I’ve recently seen recommendations of at least 20-30’ distance apart when travelling at 20kms/hr or more. At that point, what’s the point?

Yes people are yelling at you and getting righteous and paranoid: it’s because they’re deeply, deeply afraid right now. It would be selfish to ignore that, or think yourself above it, or hold it too much against them.

For what it’s worth, I miss you folks in the mornings, but even if I see you out there I won’t be following your line. We have a duty here as members of the community, and as much as I’m annoyed at having privileges revoked or being told what to do in any context, I’d hate to think I let my own self-righteousness win out at a time like this.

Stay safe out there, and preferably alone. Every ride you take right now is an opportunity to set an example.

I’ll see you all on the other side of this :cry:
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

benmoore wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:56 am I agree with Claire here, and can even admit to hesitating on offering those well-earned “kudos” on Strava when it’s clear that riders are obviously still heading out in pairs or groups. I can’t help seeing it as a pretty flagrant flouting of civic duty in this context.

Sure, you can tell yourself that you’re staying 6’ or even 10’ apart, or that single track helps disperse droplets because of all those corners, but the reality is, you have no idea how much is really needed on a bike. New studies are coming out all the time, and I’ve recently seen recommendations of at least 20-30’ distance apart when travelling at 20kms/hr or more. At that point, what’s the point?

Yes people are yelling at you and getting righteous and paranoid: it’s because they’re deeply, deeply afraid right now. It would be selfish to ignore that, or think yourself above it, or hold it too much against them.

For what it’s worth, I miss you folks in the mornings, but even if I see you out there I won’t be following your line. We have a duty here as members of the community, and as much as I’m annoyed at having privileges revoked or being told what to do in any context, I’d hate to think I let my own self-righteousness win out at a time like this.

Stay safe out there, and preferably alone. Every ride you take right now is an opportunity to set an example.

I’ll see you all on the other side of this :cry:
Ben,

(This article might help clear some of the air, pun intended.)

I mostly ride solo, sometimes ride with my family*, and very occasionally with a trusted friend. In a pair, we distance >> 2-10 meters when stopped or moving slowly, and >> 30 meters at speed, and cautiously in gnarl (see this video). For me, the point of riding in a pair is to find more exertion and distance. Riding trails as a pair is also wise from a safety standpoint. God forbid, one has a heart attack deep in Thetis and there's no one there to assist (this has happened to a cross rider in Thetis). 

"Self-righteous"? No.
"Fulfilling duty as a member of the community"? Yes.
"Setting a good example"? Yes

*We've also been chastised when responsibly riding as a family (which is totally within the guidelines).  Paranoia and irrational fear are no excuse for aggression steeped in stupidity.
schouten

Post by schouten »

I hear you Claire and Ben. Message received.

I've been doing a smattering of solo and accompanied rides and both have problems entering another person's respiratory stream. The advantage of an accompanied ride is you can work out the logistics in advance and then you have trail safety from a buddy, as JT points out. It is possible to keep rider gaps huge and still enjoy the ride though.

The biggest problem is other road/trail users. Some are awesome and give a huge distance. Others seem oblivious. It would seem zwift is the only real solution. I don't have a trainer, but if I did, I would fear for my sanity. So for now, I'll solo ride but choose to go accompanied by a massive gap for the deep woods.

Maybe walkie talkies are the way to go? Fits with the whole gravel riding is just 90s mountain biking...
Bandit
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

schouten wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:27 pm Maybe walkie talkies are the way to go?
Ron, I am so into that. Can we talk off line, what’s your handle?

schouten

Post by schouten »

Well, if we get to choose, I'll go by Bandit

Bandit
benmoore

Post by benmoore »

JTyre wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:15 am
I mostly ride solo, sometimes ride with my family*, and very occasionally with a trusted friend. In a pair, we distance >> 2-10 meters when stopped or moving slowly, and >> 30 meters at speed, and cautiously in gnarl (see this video).
Fair enough! If you’re able to pull that off, it’s probably no issue. I just found on the first few “socially distant” rides early on that there was always a moment or two where coming in close couldn’t be avoided, or was simply overlooked. Maybe I just lack the proper discipline 🤷🏼‍♂️

I was gathering from Alan’s post (bystanders chirping at buddies riding together too closely, lovers or no) and some of the photos posted to Strava over the past week that things weren’t always quite so careful. It’s not for me to tell others what to do—more just stating my own thoughts on this for posterity.

And yes, plenty of people acting out of what looks like stupidity right now. I’d call it fear. I think we need to be generous with each other right now especially.
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

On the topic of what we should and shouldn't be doing, I'm finding the mixed messaging a bit frustrating. Can someone make sense of the "no gatherings of more than 50 people" and the "stay with people in your immediate household and stay 6 feet apart out of doors?"

Am I missing something here?

Here is the quote from Victoria Buzz piece I saw tonight "The District of Saanich has launched a specific COVID-19 enforcement team, in hopes they can aid the public in adhering to provincial health orders related to gatherings of over 50 people."
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

I don’t read any inherent inconsistency between those directives, Louise. Can you elaborate?

Basically: my understanding is that our experience of life will now be indoors and electronic, save interactions with the select few with whom you choose or are obliged to cohabitate. If you’d like an irresponsibly optimistic perspective on what to expect, I suggest Cline’s Ready Player One, which depicts this reality as a place where we’re all “untouchable, immune to abuse.”

Or, if you prefer to leaven your sunshine with a little more control and terror:

benmoore

Post by benmoore »

It’s a good book! But I’ll take an untimely death over that dystopia any day. 😏

@Louise: I think the difference in messaging you’re seeing is between “requirements” and “strong recommendations.” They seem to be working hard to hold off putting the country on lockdown as we’ve seen in other places, and relying instead on the public’s self-regulation. So “legally” you can’t have gatherings of more than 50–that’s enforceable—but they’re pretty clear that any contact outside your household has the potential to make the situation worse and put others at risk.

That was a tough mental hurdle for us with kids’ play dates especially, and for me with these rides. I’m off on a longer one today and had reached out to Jared earlier in the week to see if he wanted to join, thinking it’d be safer with two of us if we’re going any great distance. But we both came round to the fact that it’d pretty much be a solo ride anyway if we were doing it properly, so what’s the point. The grey area does make it hard to stay disciplined, though.

The problem with all this is that the more it works, the less it will seem like we need it. 🤷🏼‍♂️

It’s going to be a weird year. I like Ron’s radio idea. We do that hang gliding and it actually has a certain charm 🙂
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

Rolf - Sure, I can elaborate. We are being told to only spend time with the people in our household but I don't know anyone with a household approaching 50 people so I'm wondering what is the point of that directive? I think it undermines and confuses the message to only spend time with people that you live with. I know a few weeks ago there was a new piece about a small house party being broken up - less than 50 people yet police came.

It might seem like I'm splitting hairs here but like everyone, we want to keep as much of a normal life as possible while following the rules/guidelines and I'm confused as to under what circumstances we are allowed to socialize in small groups. Perhaps my experience the other day of being screamed at by someone b/c my son walked too close to her on a rocky shoreline has left me a bit shaken and hyper-aware of other people's perspectives, but also wanting some really clear guidance.

Enjoy your solo Friday morning ride. I'm off to ride with someone from my household. Times like these I feel really fortunate to be married to a fellow cyclist!
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Rolf wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:01 pm Basically: my understanding is that our experience of life will now be indoors and electronic, save interactions with the select few with whom you choose or are obliged to cohabitate.
We are not "sheltered in place" or "locked down", Rolf. As far as I know, the two-meter and < 50 rules apply (indoors as well) but in the Fyfe household it's only the wife, the daughter, the dawg, and moi. So Rolf, stopping throwing pebbles at my bedroom window, I'm not letting you in for now.

Again, here is some unofficial guidance with respect to riding.
Last edited by JTyre on Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

I appreciate cycling BC’s clear stance on this. What I don’t get is how to integrate this 50 person piece into my daily life and would love to know how others interpret it. Maybe I’m being a bit thick here but it doesn’t jive with all the other govt messaging. So as long as we stand 2 m apart, 49 of us can get together? I know that is being a smart ass but how does that apply to a group of 9 or 10, situations were more likely to encounter?