Sunday Feb 23 (shorter)

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

Claire

Sunday Feb 23 (shorter)

Post by Claire »

I'm hoping to get out for just a couple of hours this Sunday on the assumption that the rest of the household will support me since it's my birthday! I'm thinking a Switch Bridge meetup at 7am and back to same by 9. I'd love to hit some of my current favourites in Broadmead, Royal Oak, Hartland (Shock Treatment!) and Hector. I will link to a route I did solo a couple weeks ago that took me two hours (going pretty non-stop/steady).

Hopefully a few people will join me for this moderately gnarly, moderately speedy tour. And if anyone wants to join me but do something longer, they could peel off to extend before we hit the Goose on the return.
schouten

Re: Sunday Feb 23 (shorter)

Post by schouten »

I'm a very tentative maybe (sorry - my cycling will just have to fit into tiny nooks and crannies). Early and short work for me though.
Bandit
Ddallin

Post by Ddallin »

I'm in. I will shoot out the Goose for some extra miles at the end.
David Dallin
mandreassen

Post by mandreassen »

I'm probably in, thanks Claire!
rduncan

Post by rduncan »

Sounds good. I’m still injured but I’ll give it a shot and just bail early if it’s an issue.

I’m aching to try some more stuff in heartland. And after Barry Beck said bubble wrap was unridable on a gravel bike it made me want to try it. But that can be another ride.
Rob Duncan
mashby

Post by mashby »

In Vancouver. Can't ride this weekend, but, HAPPY BIRTHDAY CLAIRE!!!!!

way to get the job done.
Claire

Post by Claire »

Here's the route I'll base it on: https://www.strava.com/activities/3089304534

And if the weather is super-snotty with yucky rain and 2 degrees...I may opt to spend my birthday morning somewhere warmer and dryer! I'll post by 6am Sunday if I'm wussing out. (Chances are slim, but stranger things have happened.)
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Very maybe. Bike refurbished but haven't been on it for ~3 weeks. HB in advance, Claire.
Claire

Post by Claire »

rduncan wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:37 pm ... after Barry Beck said Bubble Wrap was unridable on a gravel bike it made me want to try it. But that can be another ride.
Ask Barry whether he thinks Huge Ribbon* or Sofa King* are rideable on a gravel bike.

And, regardless, if you're looking to kick up the gnar factor and really challenge your gravel bike handling skills, connect with "Reckless" Ricky Allen to see how it's done!

*Note, this GoPro footage makes these trails seem WAY LESS STEEP than they actually are. They are a good challenge for a good MTBer on a modern MTB.
markuspirker

Post by markuspirker »

I'll join you guys. See you at the switch bridge at 7am.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

I’ll be at Switch at 7, unless tonight gets wilder than expected. And if this is indeed a speedy ride, I may end up voluntarily dropped doing nasty road climbs like Brookhaven and Hartland Ave. :mrgreen:

But Claire: if you do indeed pull out of the special, early ride that you’ve posted (as per your birthday prerogative!), may I suggest declaring your intentions before 10 p.m. tonight? :D :D :D That way we can sleep in for the usual 7:30 Fairbucks departure (and definitely do less muttering about your absence!)
schouten

Post by schouten »

schouten wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:14 am I'm a very tentative maybe (sorry - my cycling will just have to fit into tiny nooks and crannies). Early and short work for me though.
Sorry, Claire, I have to bail even with this great fear of missing out weighing me down. The rather large dent in my seat stay is telling me I shouldn't ride the bike until I get it checked out. Looks like the ride will be well attended. Have a swell birthday!!
Bandit
Claire

Post by Claire »

Yay, lots of takers! I'll be there. Switch at 7. Firm. :)
rduncan

Post by rduncan »

I second Rolf’s suggestion.
Rob Duncan
Claire

Post by Claire »

I'll likely modify the route to shorten and flatten where possible (just a little). But Hartland Ave is non-negotiable as it's the most direct route to Shock Treatment. Apologies to any nonclimbers!
Ddallin

Post by Ddallin »

This weather is a bit crazy. I’m going to ride later in the day.
David Dallin
Claire

Post by Claire »

Sorry, it's a bit later than I said I'd do this but the weather is crap and quite possibly the roads are icy. Riding is fun. Falling is not!

Go back to bed. :)
rduncan

Post by rduncan »

Very poor style Claire.
Rob Duncan
Claire

Post by Claire »

Rob, I'm really sorry if you went out to meet me and found yourself stood up. :oops: That sucks and I am really disappointed to cancel.

I was pressured to commit last night when I didn't know what the conditions would be. I was all in for this ride. Temps below zero surprised (and scared) me.

Sorry. :(
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

When it comes to weather that's borderline dangerous, no one should ever feel pressure to ride.

Martin