March 14 - Big Terra Nova Clockwise Loop CANCELLED

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

schouten

Re: March 14 - Big Terra Nova Clockwise Loop

Post by schouten »

I just updated the main post with a ride proposal. I would definitely plan for an all-day adventure regardless of how long we spend faffing about at the lakes.
Bandit
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

This all sounds great Ron and I’m really going to try and come. But what about ....tea? Or will I be relegated to bringing all my own supplies?
schouten

Post by schouten »

Rob's got you covered L3! Just bring some tea bags and fresh lemon. Cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches without the crust are a must!
Bandit
mashby

Post by mashby »

rduncan wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:56 pm Re: coffee. I have a stainless French press and espresso maker for when I car camp. It doesn’t take long to boil water so both can be brought if so desired.
Definately desired Rob! Why camp when you can glamp?! Can you make me one with a heart in the steamed milk?
rduncan

Post by rduncan »

Nope but I can froth your milk so you have the full glamp experience.
Rob Duncan
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

rduncan wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:36 pm Nope but I can froth your milk so you have the full glamp experience.
Would decaf with a pinch of cinnamon of my double foam be possible, Rob?
markuspirker

Post by markuspirker »

That all sounds great. I think though that going up Grassy lake trail after the new bridge is mostly bike pushing, which is fine. This time of the year the top of the lakes have typically huge puddles (about knee deep) which are fun to cross. I wold also suggest to go down the back of Mt. Quimper,(there is a fantastic mountain bike trail going down which I've run a few times (JUNIPER FM?) and we definitely should catch the Kinnikinnick Trail, which is a super flowy MTB trail before we hook into Grassy lake trail.
Andy B.

Post by Andy B. »

It may make the day longer but I would propose after hitting the Sooke Rd. going over Humpback Rd., Langford Lake, over the Leigh Rd. overpass, Florene Lake and meander back to the Phelps Connector. It doesn't add much mileage, just some climbing:). Whatever the group decides. We may need refreshments at Ma Millers or something though...
rduncan

Post by rduncan »

Jonny tyre if all it takes is cinnamon to get you to join us and take a break from saving the planet then consider it done. Oh and like you, I’m a half man in that I drink decaf.
Rob Duncan
schouten

Post by schouten »

rduncan wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:12 pm Jonny tyre if all it takes is cinnamon to get you to join us and take a break from saving the planet then consider it done.
I'll even mix a new batch of patchouli for your riding pleasure...
Bandit
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

schouten wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:59 pm
rduncan wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:12 pm Jonny tyre if all it takes is cinnamon to get you to join us and take a break from saving the planet then consider it done.
I'll even mix a new batch of patchouli for your riding pleasure...
Oh Ronny and Robby, you sure know how to get a gal aroused.

Andy B.

Post by Andy B. »

My son rode the clockwise route yesterday (except for off shoot on the Mt. Quimper trails), he said it was pushing the bike up most of the Grass Lake trail as it was steep and full of large rocks, and the route across the top of Shields Lake was pretty wet and so many trees down he just walked it. Coming down Terra Nova had lots of trees down and pretty rough on a drop bar bike. It took 3 hours from the turn off from the Goose to the bottom of Terra Nova. Exceptional views and the lake was nice though! I'm generally not a defeatist 8)
ixxh-C0zQY_b25p0sLsECrjojqbgkj32LmiUUOOxNqM-1536x2048[1].jpg
OxNqM-1536x2048[1].jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
5cE_mcgyfXaN7euL4vLqg5PtpfL0y5B42FAc4-bUgpM-1536x2048[1].jpg
schouten

Post by schouten »

Group: Those are some great pics Andy. I'm still keen, but can be talked into postponing in the hopes that some the trails will be cleared. Thoughts?

Andy: I have updated the route to reflect a meander down Humpback Rd and Phelps as it didn't add much KMs like you said. Did I hit your desired route?

Markus: Thanks for the tips. I have updated the route to use FM Radio (Juniper) to descend from Mt Quimper. This is listed as a black route on TrailForks but if you think it is ride-able then I'm all for it (We can always retreat the way we rode up if not). I've also routed us to Sheilds Lake via the Sooke Mountain Park Rd. to get around the Grass Lake Trail hike. Alternatively we could come way out back to the Goose and catch the Harrison Trail but the heatmaps don't look too active.

The original route link in the first post reflects my latest changes. I've also added a list of "Likely Riders" and tried to organize what we should bring.
Bandit
markuspirker

Post by markuspirker »

schouten wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:19 pm Group: Those are some great pics Andy. I'm still keen, but can be talked into postponing in the hopes that some the trails will be cleared. Thoughts?

Andy: I have updated the route to reflect a meander down Humpback Rd and Phelps as it didn't add much KMs like you said. Did I hit your desired route?

Markus: Thanks for the tips. I have updated the route to use FM Radio (Juniper) to descend from Mt Quimper. This is listed as a black route on TrailForks but if you think it is ride-able then I'm all for it (We can always retreat the way we rode up if not). I've also routed us to Sheilds Lake via the Sooke Mountain Park Rd. to get around the Grass Lake Trail hike. Alternatively we could come way out back to the Goose and catch the Harrison Trail but the heatmaps don't look too active.

The original route link in the first post reflects my latest changes. I've also added a list of "Likely Riders" and tried to organize what we should bring.
Ron, I was up there this weekend and we ran up Mt Brule (next to Quimper) and then to Grassy lake via the Monument trail, which is not bike able. The Grassy lake trail in between the new bridge and the Salmon hatchery has been completely cleared and is super smooth now, which was a surprise to me. Going that one down will be a lot of fun. Generally speaking as soon as you get off the main trails you'll have to push the bike if you want to make your way up to the lakes due to the windfall. Also, the Harrison trail is a no go for bikes even without the windfall. We ran it down and it was slow going on foot.
schouten

Post by schouten »

Great recon Markus. Does the revised route seem the most appropriate then?
Bandit
markuspirker

Post by markuspirker »

schouten wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:19 am Great recon Markus. Does the revised route seem the most appropriate then?
I like it. The Pearson College trails are super flowy and very pretty. Maybe meander in there a bit more and find our way down to the campus? Going up the north face on Quimper (the very last bit to the hut) will be very sketchy if I recall correctly. Looks like fun though.
Andy B.

Post by Andy B. »

The route looks good Ron. I like the Humpback route back as it eliminates the Goose grind home. I wonder about the creek crossing half way up Sooke Mtn. Trail. I think it is South Charter River. A couple of weeks ago it was running quite high and fast. I understand in the summer it involves walking across some rocks. If it is not possible to get across it would mean going back down to Charters Trail and over to the new foot bridge with a decent down to the Salmon Hatchery. I cling to the knowledge that the company I'll be keeping out weighs the Goose drudgery :lol: Also, 6 Mile Pub would be on route on the way home...
schouten

Post by schouten »

I just realized March 14th is a Saturday (I had intended it for Sunday) and wanted to make sure everyone is okay with that. Sunday would work better for me but if y'all have cleared your Saturday schedules, I'll try to do the same. Sorry for the mixup!! :oops:

Please post your preference or if you don't care.
Bandit
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

Ron already knows this but just for everyone's purposes, I can't do the 15th since I'll be on my way up to the ski hill. It's the 14th or nothing for me so hoping we can stick to the original plan since I am 100% in for that day.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Ron, you may have noticed my ride-post naming convention, e.g."Saturday, March 14 - Blah-de-Blah"

It was borne of similar experience! :oops: