March 14 - Big Terra Nova Clockwise Loop CANCELLED

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

schouten

March 14 - Big Terra Nova Clockwise Loop CANCELLED

Post by schouten »

Posting this early so folks that are interested in a bigger ride can free themselves up. Also, since I'll be riding much less over the next three weeks (while single parenting) it gives me something to look forward to :D

The idea is to ride the goose out to Sea to Sea Regional Park in Sooke, explore some of the MTB trails while heading up to Grass/Sheilds Lake, and then looping back to the Goose via Terra Nova. Andy B had this idea originally, but since he hasn't posted it yet I thought I'd liberate it. This ride has it all. Lot's of KMs, gnar, and beautiful scenery. I'll post a route soonish but it is definitely open to input.

Ride Proposal: Terra Nova Coffee Loop

Coles Notes (If you have knowledge of the terrain and trails, pipe up!)
7:00am Depart from Cookbucks (7:20am SB pickup compat.)
Goose out to Sea to Sea Regional Park Parking lot
- potential diversion near Lester B Pearson College (CFB Esquimalt); I see trails! And Goose needs some fun.
Within Sea to Sea Regional Park
- Sword Fern Trail (North)
- Sooke Mountain Park Road (North)
- Quimper Main (West) to Fire Lookout Tower
- FM Radio/Juniper (East)
- Sooke Mountain Park Road (North)
- Ridge Access Trail to Sheilds Lake (North)
- Lunch, Coffee, Shenanigans
- Sooke Mountain Park Rd (East)
- Terra Nova (East - only the good bits)
Sooke Rd to Humpback Rd
Thetis to E&N and Home

Likely Riders (in response order, I'll try to keep this list accurate):
Ron - Caffeinated Coffee Grounds, sharing snacks, cup
Louise - Tea, sharing snacks, cup
Markus - sharing snacks, cup
Alan - fishing rod, sharing snacks, cup
Andy - sharing snacks, cup
Rob - stove, fuel, pot, french press, Decaffeinated Coffee Grounds, cup
JT (Hair no longer requires washing) - sharing snacks, cup
David - sharing snacks, cup
Andrew - sharing snacks, cup, table cloth, flowers
Wayne - sharing snacks, cup, whittled wooden table
Mark A. - sharing snacks, cup, aerial support
Farhang - sharing snacks, cup
Damian P? - sharing snacks, cup
Claire? - sharing snacks, cup

More riders welcome! This is a big ride. It's only 100km but plan for a full day in the saddle as cutting corners in Sea to Sea Regional Park would be a shame (warn your spouse accordingly!)
Last edited by schouten on Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Bandit
LouiseF

Re: March 14 - Big Terra Nova Clockwise Loop

Post by LouiseF »

I am interested in this Ron, depending on a bunch of other things falling into place and some rescheduling of regular activities. As you know, I had to last minute miss out on the first TN adventure so would love to finally get out there. Thanks for the big head's up.
markuspirker

Post by markuspirker »

Obviously I'm in. Counterclockwise seems to be the best directions since the Harrison trail and the Grass Lake trail are really pretty rough on a bike. The Grass Lake trail might actually be a lot of fun going down.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

I'll be winging my way south that day, Ron. Tant pis! Looks like I'm destined never to hike in the footsteps of Sooke gold-diggers...
Alan

Post by Alan »

I'm a tentative "in". Do you think we should bring our fishing rods? Last time we were up at Shields lake the fish were jumping and the weather was fine...

schouten

Post by schouten »

Yes! And some coffee making supplies! I think this route accommodates faux-bikepacking nicely.
Bandit
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Alan wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:29 amLast time we were up at Shields lake...
Apparently, Sooke municipal workers similarly misspelled "Sheilds" on a road sign at some point. Despite their wierd name, the Sheilds have an interesting family history, including a blacksmith who invented a hand-powered, recumbent tricycle to do inspection rides of the 27-mile pipe that brought Victoria its water for nearly a century.

Pulling on that thread, I guess that water line would be the same "Sooke Flowline Trail" marked in this Plotaroute projection, and found on All Trails.

The flowline itself has a fascinating history as an early mega-engineering project in Victoria. Prior to its construction around 1911-1915, Victoria got all its water from Elk and Beaver Lake, before the damming of our precious Colquitz River screwed that up.

ImagePanorama of the Sooke flowline soon after construction, over 100 years ago.

Given the pre-exisiting linear development of the Sooke flowline, I hope plans for trail development along that wiggly blue line come to fruition someday.

But I've admittedly tripped over a typo and veered way off-trail here... :oops: Back to the Terra Nova!
Greg F

Post by Greg F »

Every few days, a Rolf post, despite multiple attempts, will leave me thinking
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Andy B.

Post by Andy B. »

I'm in, unless something changes. A couple of weeks ago I attempted to go up the Sooke Mtn Rd. to Shield Lake with the idea to come down Terra Nova. There was a water crossing mid way up that was too high and fast flowing to cross so we dropped back down to Charters Trail that crosses a new foot bridge further to the west. Due to time we just came down Grassy Lake trail and the Water Board Access Rd. and jumped on the Goose. The north side of Shield Lake is supposed to be swampy at the best of time so we decided it would be pretty bad as we just finished that week of heavy rain. That helped the decision to give up on climbing back up to the lake. BTW climbing Charters and the bit we did of Grassy Lake Trail was good but I don't know what it is like further for climbing.
rduncan

Post by rduncan »

Yup in. I’ll throw on a bag and bring a shot gun for fishin
Rob Duncan
mashby

Post by mashby »

1000% IN
(if you're serious about the coffee).
schouten

Post by schouten »

I never joke about coffee Mashby.

The trick will be in implementation. Here's an idea:

1) Heat: Bring a light weight stove and kettle to boil water (hint: I don't have one; back-up plan is to make a wood fire)

2) Water: I think if we all bring one extra bottle of water to contribute to coffee, we'll have ample to make a couple pots.

3) Coffee Maker: Probably a bodum is easiest. But I have an aero press that I can bring.

4) Cream/Sugar: bring your own

5) Treats: everybody bring something to share

6) Cup: Bring your own. Must be enamel and dangle from your seat pack. Must!

Obviously, Alan will bring an iron skillet to delicately pan fry freshly caught trout. Bonus points to anyone that forages for fresh mushrooms and doesn't kill us.
Bandit
rduncan

Post by rduncan »

Ron. I have ya covered for coffee. I’ll bring a stove and espresso maker and a cup or two to share.
Rob Duncan
Andy B.

Post by Andy B. »

schouten

Post by schouten »

rduncan wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:05 pm Ron. I have ya covered for coffee. I’ll bring a stove and espresso maker and a cup or two to share.
That's awesome Rob. Will we get enough throughput? If anybody else has another stove and coffee maker perhaps we can bring two.
Bandit
mashby

Post by mashby »

Why so hurry @Ron?
rduncan

Post by rduncan »

Dude. We’re going to be at a lake enjoying the view with fresh brewed coffee. No need to rush through the finer moments.
Rob Duncan
schouten

Post by schouten »

I guess it really depends on numbers. So far no problem 😀
Bandit
rduncan

Post by rduncan »

Re: coffee. If we’re at a lake we won’t need extra water, we just boil it. One stove should be fine but I can bring two if someone wants to pack it. I have a stainless French press and espresso maker for when I car camp. It doesn’t take long to boil water so both can be brought if so desired.

Being a devotee of leave no trace camping I’d prefer to avoid the fire unless we do it right and eliminate its presence when we depart. Besides. It takes a while to light and we would need a saw for fuel. At that point we’re talking an all day adventure.

I’m in for a good coffee (decaf for me) and some laughs with a good view for sure.

I love your initiative Ron. Its so fun!
Rob Duncan