Tugwell Main smooth or bumpy?

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

markuspirker

Tugwell Main smooth or bumpy?

Post by markuspirker »

Has anybody ridden on Tugwell Main in the recent past? I'm thinking of using it as alternative to Butler Main for a ride I'm planning.
schouten

Re: Tugwell Main smooth or bumpy?

Post by schouten »

I was just about to post, "I'm in," but then thought I should have a clue what you are talking about. You know the backroads better than me, but I did come across this blog post that makes it seem rideable:

https://donsadventurerides.wordpress.co ... sooke-b-c/

Hope you get your answer!
Last edited by schouten on Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bandit
rduncan

Post by rduncan »

Oooh. What’s Markus planning for the next gravel grind? I’m still smiling from the last one.
Rob Duncan
Andy B.

Post by Andy B. »

Isn't that funny, we all automatically did the google and started checking snow levels. I've done Butler over to Burnt Bridge but Tugwell Lake looks intriguing.
mandreassen

Post by mandreassen »

As it happens...I frequently pass by there on a regular basis with a higher than road level vantage point...Give it a bit of time, still a fair amount of snow at the higher elevations of that route...
markuspirker

Post by markuspirker »

I think I found a route that should work for the Tugwell main, if it is snow free.
Meanwhile though I found this gem of a loop. The unknown is the linkage to Jack lake and down to the Cory Connector (about 10 km of unknown trail) but the rest would be the Terranova route we already did (with the secret trail going downhill this time:)
https://www.plotaroute.com/route/1016041?units=km
schouten

Post by schouten »

That looks like a good ride Markus, and similar to a ride Andy B was thinking of doing (correct me if I am wrong Andy). When are you thinking of doing this? This Sunday might not be best for me (I plan to ride Saturday afternoon while there is patch of dry weather in the forecast), but I could do the following Sunday.
Bandit
Andy B.

Post by Andy B. »

I'm not able to commit to a long ride like this for the next few weekends due to being out of town or other stuff. I'll monitor the site in case something changes up for me.

It looks good and I'm curious to see how it goes at the top of the Goose.

Andy
markuspirker

Post by markuspirker »

I'll do a solo recon this Sunday.
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

schouten wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:30 am This Sunday might not be best for me (I plan to ride Saturday afternoon while there is patch of dry weather in the forecast), but I could do the following Sunday.
Markus's route looks very interesting, but I'm a no-go for a long ride this weekend as well (and the following two :( ). Ron, please post you Saturday ride. If it really does turn out to be clear, and Sunday is looking wet, I may just join you.

John
schouten

Post by schouten »

Hey JT, Sunday morning is looking good now too. I plan to go Sunday, but since I couldn't (shame: didn't) ride this week I feel overdue for a ride and will take advantage of my son's cancelled soccer game on Saturday afternoon.

Which is...

Colquitz approach to Hartland where I will head north on the Regional trail (with some connectors where the regional trail ends), come down Ross-Durance, then Cory Connector and into Franks Trail (sort of a Kallie's Korner bypass). I'm trying a blend of new and old. Nothing too gnarly. Maybe a 7/10 on the Gnarly Scale? 1:45pm departure from Harbour Rd Fantastico. SB pickup compatible.
Bandit
Claire

Post by Claire »

Interested! But not confirmed. If a pm cx ride is in the cards here, I'll be at Fantastico at the prescribed time.
Greg F

Post by Greg F »

Ron

I doth plan to meet thee
At the local Switch Bridgey
For a few hours of muddy
schouten

Post by schouten »

Cool. See you (and perhaps Claire?) there.

Ron
Bandit
schouten

Post by schouten »

Bringing this back on topic. Markus, how was your recon ride?
Bandit
markuspirker

Post by markuspirker »

Given the bushwhacking disappointment from Sunday I've revisited the idea of the Tugwell loop in my head. I got a chance to look at the hills while I was up there and there is little to now snow left. Here is what I'm thinking. Any thoughts? https://www.plotaroute.com/route/1020986?units=km
schouten

Post by schouten »

I do like the idea of traipsing through Sooke backroads, but I must admit that the Leechtown out-and-back is less than enticing. Let me think it over...
Bandit
rduncan

Post by rduncan »

Sunday at 6 at switch bridge?
Rob Duncan
schouten

Post by schouten »

I think I'll pass this week. Please keep posting wicked rides though Markus. I'm down for Andy B's route up Harbour View and out Terra Nova someday.
Bandit
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

I'm super into that route. I actually need to do that sit in the saddle Leechtown ride for several reasons but right now I don't have the endurance to do it....few more weeks if you wanna do it again.