May 2 - Ride for Water - Chilliwack

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

LouiseF

Re: May 2 - Ride for Water - Chilliwack

Post by LouiseF »

So we had pretty much decided that Greg would do Ride for Water and I'd do the Comox Valley gravel ride at the end of May but I have just finished reading "A Long Walk to Water" since our daughter's grade 5 class was reading it. Wow. What a hard hitting reality check of how fortunate we are to live where we do and to have what we have. It may be part of the grade 5 curriculum but it blew my grown up mind.

The fact that this ride benefits clean water projects in Africa seems more real and important to me and if I can muster even 10% of strength of the boy in the story (it's based on a true story) then I can get through this ride. Child and puppy care issues remain but at least one of us will be there, and with some logistical finagling -both of us.

We probably have accommodations but please keep us in the loop, just in case.

Maybe some more TS'ers will consider this ride????? The more of us who go, the more fun we'll have!!!! If your family members aren't keen on the weekend away, just tell them to read the book :D :D :D
Claire

Post by Claire »

I'm interested in going to Chilly-wack for this ride, too. Would love to be considered in group accommodations. I'll let Steve chime in on his participation, but I think I need to step up my needling before he commits.
schouten

Post by schouten »

Excellent! More riders. Sounds like we'll be spread over multiple accommodations. I will post some options soon. But let's agree to have some beers together after the ride!
Last edited by schouten on Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bandit
mandreassen

Post by mandreassen »

I'm a maybe for this ride too, I'd do the medio. I won't be able to commit till just before as I have some work training stuff right up to the Friday before the ride. My cousin lives 10 minutes away so accommodations are good for me.
Hope it all works out, looks really cool and for a great cause!
Andy B.

Post by Andy B. »

Just checking in and bumping the discussion. Any further thoughts on accommodations?
rduncan

Post by rduncan »

I'm bringing the family over and we're staying at harrison. Let's plan to meet up before the race.
Rob Duncan
schouten

Post by schouten »

I've been remiss in my duties and this fell off the radar. Something about my current domestic situation is distracting me. That and the prospect of a new toy... Anybody got some 650b wheels they want to sell me? Thanks for the reminder Andy and L3 (earlier by TXT)!!

But I just found an AirBnB gem. How about this place? Lots of room, space for bikes, near the start/finish line, and could accommodate late joiners (who would bring an air mattress). Please respond with approval or a better/alternative suggestion ASAP so we can book a place soon!
Bandit
Andy B.

Post by Andy B. »

Ron, works for me. Now the real news? New toy?
schouten

Post by schouten »

Okay, it's done. Checkin May 1st; Checkout May 3rd. I've booked it for 5 adults (L3/Greg, Andy Markus, Ron) and we can rock-scissors-paper the sleeping arrangements (but I think L3/Greg called dibs on the suite). Cost per person is roughly $93 per person. If someone else wants to join, we can try to figure that out too.

Andy: It rhymes with Unobtanium...
Bandit
Andy B.

Post by Andy B. »

Ron, titanium?, 650b wheels, hum... your propensity for dirt and maybe bike packing, looking forward to the unveiling.
schouten

Post by schouten »

Ride For Water was just cancelled (actually postponed to October). I cancelled the AirBnB reservation.

Total bummer. I was really excited about this event. I imagine other cycling events will be cancelled too, so, rather than sign up for alternatives I'm, hoping to go on some big adhoc rides instead.
Bandit
markuspirker

Post by markuspirker »

Does anybody want to do something on the Island at that date? I was thinking of taking a bus up island to let's say Cumberland and then ride back to Victoria on Gravel roads?
schouten

Post by schouten »

I could be up for that. Really depends on the covid-19 situation. Consider me "Interested"
Bandit
mandreassen

Post by mandreassen »

Wilsons bus line has stopped running as of now...Not sure if they are the provider for bus service up island...
Andy B.

Post by Andy B. »

I'm interested in something.
schouten

Post by schouten »

My wife just berated me for the idea of taking a bus somewhere fur a big ride. How about something local? Burnt bridge?
Bandit