May 2 - Ride for Water - Chilliwack

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

JTyre

Re: May 2 - Ride for Water - Chilliwack

Post by JTyre »

Plans have changed for me. I'll be Austin that weekend listening to music, e.g. this band from the early 80's (eat your heart out, Fozzy).

While I can't make it to Chilli-wack, I'm hoping that some you will join us on Quadra Island on May 16.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Enjoy staining your sheets, Johnny!

While y'all are booking up your calendars, keep in mind the Club's Great Trail ride which—after some semi-tortuous member polling—ran May 4, 2019 and May 19, 2018. Chances are good it'll come together for May again this year.

And then there's the Olympic Disco Trail day-trip or overnighter, maybe earlier in June this time than the Canada Day weekend?

So many awesome rides to look forward to!
Scott Davis

Post by Scott Davis »

Sorry for chiming in late. I just saw this post now.

Everything you are hearing Louise is true. It's an amazingly beautiful course, very grueling with many unrideable ups and downs. Unfortunately, the course markings were minimal to non-existent. The volunteers that were supposed to be at the turn around for the Medio (85km) course were not on station when the first group of riders passed the turn around so we unknowingly carried on with what turned out to be the epic course (130km).

That said, Penny and I would highly recommend the event. The course was beautiful. I remember last year seeing notes that hotel discounts would be provided but none ever materialized so we booked our own hotel (The Royal Hotel Chilliwack). It was built in the early 1900's....lots of history and nice atmosphere. Huge breakfasts included in the rate as well which was nice. They had a large locked room behind the front desk to store bikes. It's about a 15-20 minute drive from the start line.

I hope that helps. Overall, great experience......maybe just don't treat it like a race and enjoy the ride (and a fair bit of walking if you do the 130km course).

Scott
Last edited by Scott Davis on Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
markuspirker

Post by markuspirker »

schouten wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:26 am Here's my list of quite interested so we can proceed with planning (please add/remove if I got it wrong). In faulty memory order:

L3
Greg
Ron
JT (Charcuterie Fairy?)
Rob D
Markus
Andy B

Ideally we would AirBnB together or near each other and be able to carpool. I'll keep up the digging and post more info.
Yes, I'm still interested. I see that there is camping available at Cultus Lake. So I would opt for that. Since the race is on a Saturday I will probably want to catch the 6 or 7 pm ferry to the Mainland on the Friday. If we're lucky we might catch the last ferry on Saturday since it's a 2hr drive. Altough, if somebody wants to ride back on Sunday.....?
schouten

Post by schouten »

Thanks for the valuable insight Scott. I don't really have a "race" mentality when I ride so it sounds like this event will be a good fit. I could be talked into the Epic if that's what everyone is doing but I will definitely make this an "enjoy the scenery" kinda ride (no drop?). I'll need subsatntial food at that distance and ride duration.

Strong interest from:

Andy B (epic - deluxe accomodation)
Markus P (epic I presume - camping)
Ron S (epicish - deluxe accomodation)
Rob D (still in? epic? - deluxe accomodation? camping?)

Still evaluating:

Fennell Family (epic? deluxe accomodation?)
Bandit
Andy B.

Post by Andy B. »

Looks great Ron, when I saw deluxe accommodation I thought 'Diva'. I'm open to anything:).
rduncan

Post by rduncan »

I’m a dirt bag at heart so camping or cheap accommodation is much more my style. I’ll be riding whatever the longest distance is. If we all split an air bnb it might be quite affordable and much more fun that is all getting our own accom.
Rob Duncan
wonger

Post by wonger »

Another one for the calendar, May 31 - The Forbidden Gravel Experience. I understand this new event is being organized by a group who have done other events in the Comox Valley. Said to include gravel and singletrack. It fits my calendar well so will likely plan to attend.
markuspirker

Post by markuspirker »

schouten wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:14 am Thanks for the valuable insight Scott. I don't really have a "race" mentality when I ride so it sounds like this event will be a good fit. I could be talked into the Epic if that's what everyone is doing but I will definitely make this an "enjoy the scenery" kinda ride (no drop?). I'll need subsatntial food at that distance and ride duration.

Strong interest from:

Andy B (epic - deluxe accomodation)
Markus P (epic I presume - camping)
Ron S (epicish - deluxe accomodation)
Rob D (still in? epic? - deluxe accomodation? camping?)

Still evaluating:

Fennell Family (epic? deluxe accomodation?)

Hey Ron I can also partake in the Air BNB. Makes the most sense and keeps the logistics simple. I assume we’re carpooling?
schouten

Post by schouten »

Yes, carpooling sounds like a good idea. I believe Rob and Andy both have some capacity.

I'll buy my ticket and report back!
Bandit
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

I did the long course two years ago and it’s awesome. Super scenic. Some VERY technical sections near Chilliwack Lake that would be a challenge on a proper FS MTB. Some very fast and treacherous logging road descents. But very beautiful and some excellent riding along the dikes. I did it on a hot sunny day but it would be miserable in wet weather (I would do the medio if it was wet). Best place to camp is the Vedder River Campground which is on the course (about 10km from the start / finish).

https://www.fvrd.ca/EN/main/parks-recre ... round.html

The brewpub at the finish line is fantastic - lots of excellent beer not surprisingly.

Overall - highly recommended. I would do it but will be out of country that weekend....
schouten

Post by schouten »

I'm signed up!

Thanks for the ringing endorsement Magnus; and the suggestion to go medio in case of inclement weather! Since they are all the sane price that seems like good advice.
Bandit
Andy B.

Post by Andy B. »

Ok, signed up.
rduncan

Post by rduncan »

Yep just registered for the 130
Rob Duncan
markuspirker

Post by markuspirker »

And I'm in the 130 too.
schouten

Post by schouten »

Excellent!! This is gonna be super fun.

And to other riders coming across this post, this is an open invitation. So feel free to join us (even if you don't like gifs...).
Bandit
Andy B.

Post by Andy B. »

A Facebook post indicated 200 riders have taken advantage of the early bird registration. 3 months left for some gravel hill repeats... Looks like we have 4 confirmed riders signed up. Should be a great day.
Ddallin

Post by Ddallin »

I'm also signed up for the 130...
David Dallin
schouten

Post by schouten »

Nice Dave! Do you need accommodation or are you taking care of that yourself?
Bandit
Ddallin

Post by Ddallin »

In the mix of organizing accommodations now. Count me out for that, and if all falls through, I'll send a note here...
David Dallin