May 2 - Ride for Water - Chilliwack

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

schouten

May 2 - Ride for Water - Chilliwack

Post by schouten »

Just came across this Gravel Fondo that looks like it could be super fun (and Chilliwack isn't too far away).

https://runforwater.ca/ride/

I'm working on a hall pass now. Let me know if you are interested.
Bandit
Ann

Re: May 2 - Ride for Water - Chilliwack

Post by Ann »

That looks great, Ron! I would be very interested in the Medio route except that I won't be able to get a hall pass that weekend (self-inflicted).
rduncan

Post by rduncan »

I’m down for doing that. I’d probably just camp out for it to save some money. Or take the fam and hit the hot springs at Harrison afterwards.

I’ll put it in the calendar.
Rob Duncan
schouten

Post by schouten »

I agree Ann, the medio ride seems most appropriate to me too. Hopefully you can un-self-inflict yourself.

Rob, I have a tentative hall pass but my family can't join in on hot spring fun (though they want to) due to ballet performances and band trips. I see camping is an option with registration. So cool!
Last edited by schouten on Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bandit
Andy B.

Post by Andy B. »

Sounds intriguing but not sure I can pull it off as I'm looking at a couple of events in May.

May 16 and 17 is a 2 day event, the inaugural Cariboo Gravel Rush in Clinton. A 100 km and a 130 km day. The area behind Clinton like Big Bar and the west side of the Fraser is awesome. I'm in the interior anyway the following week so I may just go over early for this.

May 31 is the Forbidden Gravel Experience in the Comox Valley. A 100 km day with gravel roads, double track and some single track.

Both events are on the Gravel Cycling Vancouver Facebook page and are just preliminary notices with more info to come.
rduncan

Post by rduncan »

Those look cool! Thanks for sharing Andy.
Rob Duncan
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

Ron, have you registered for this? Or fully committed?
schouten

Post by schouten »

Not fully committed. I'm about a propane tank away from that...

Just waiting to get feel for numbers and wanting to do a little more accommodation research.
Bandit
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

Propane? I am definitely not catching a ride with you. Please share what you find out. We're seriously considering.

Fyi, Penny Davis did this last year. We need to buy her a coffee and chat. (Maybe Scott did it too?)
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

schouten wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:40 pm Not fully committed. I'm about a propane tank away from that...

Just waiting to get feel for numbers and wanting to do a little more accommodation research.
Wanted to rent: one used Winnebago, meth. lab optional.

I am interested in this event but may be out of town.
Last edited by JTyre on Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

LouiseF wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:05 am Propane? I am definitely not catching a ride with you.
I applaud Ron's use of forum-echo.

I think this event looks really cool. If life were a bit different, I'd like to train up for the Epic 130. But such things may have to wait for my idle fifties. I think I'll save my limited overnight bike-trip credits this year for another run through the Olympic Adventure Trail. Maybe twice?
markuspirker

Post by markuspirker »

I might be up for that too. ROAD TRIP?
Andy B.

Post by Andy B. »

I'm interested and would jump in on an Airbnb or other accommodation. The site mentions hotel packages or on site camping with some promo codes coming.
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

https://www.cxmagazine.com/gravel-race- ... mHuom03Xp0

I'm getting more and more interested. 80% off road, promises of single track and gnar (for you Ron) (the pics look amazing), equal prize money for the elite men and women and a truly noble cause. It's not cheap though - early bird deadline is Jan. 31.

I'm doing some research and will post what I find out here in terms of word of mouth and accommodation info. Would love for others interested to do the same. We have some logistics to work out but we're working on it.

L3
schouten

Post by schouten »

Here's my list of quite interested so we can proceed with planning (please add/remove if I got it wrong). In faulty memory order:

L3
Greg
Ron
JT (Charcuterie Fairy?)
Rob D
Markus
Andy B

Ideally we would AirBnB together or near each other and be able to carpool. I'll keep up the digging and post more info.
Bandit
rduncan

Post by rduncan »

If there’s a bunch of us let’s definitely get an air bnb otherwise I’ll just sleep in the back of my truck.

I have room for 5 passengers in my truck and 5+ bikes in the back plus gear so carpooling is certainly an option.

And the Comox ride looks pretty awesome also. Perhaps we do a similar thing for it.
Rob Duncan
Andy B.

Post by Andy B. »

I can drive to Chilliwack as well if we need the additional room. I have room for 2 or 3 extra passengers and bikes. Work commitments would have me on the 1:00 ferry or later.
schouten

Post by schouten »

I've done some poking around on the Ride For Water site and Facebook page but can only find reference to a Hotel package and/or campsite but no details beyond:

"We'll also have hotel packages and on-site camping available with prebooking. Keep an eye on our Facebook for promo codes."

Perhaps the best way to proceed is to get a list of firm commitments, an indication of wanting to share accommodation, and desired route (130K EPIC ROUTE, 71K MEDIO ROUTE & 27K INTRO ROUTE) . We can then suss out an AirBnB option and ride sharing. Please reply to this post ASAP (so we qualify for Earlybird pricing) if you are in.
Bandit
Andy B.

Post by Andy B. »

I'm in Ron, likely the 130 km option. Gives some legitimacy to long 'training' rides between now and then. And yes, an Airbnb or something beats camping at that elevation in early May.
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

Here's what I've found out so far - The word on the street from my Vancouver connections is grueling, perhaps miserably so. Mostly up or down and some un-rideable ups. Friends of friends on the epic course for 9 hours. You'll love this Ron - an apparent high level of gnar.

More concerning is Penny's feedback that the signage and volunteers providing directions was pretty poor resulting in Scott Davis going off course and finished the Medio 2 hours after Penny. So I'm a bit concerned about the organizational aspect of the race. I also saw the reference to the hotel discounts etc and think they should have those up prior to the Jan. 31 early bird deadline.

Penny did also say that it was a gorgeous course with good support other than directional mayhem. Maybe she or Scott will chime in here.

I'm considering the epic but I want a bit more info. I may email the organizers and see what I can find out.

Anybody find anything else out about then Comox May 31 event? That might be a good alternative?