Friday, December 20 - Earlier, Zippier, ENSO-ier, Royal Oak Golf Course

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

Rolf

Friday, December 20 - Earlier, Zippier, ENSO-ier, Royal Oak Golf Course

Post by Rolf »

Inspired by a chance encounter yesterday with a public trail along the edge of this now defunct golf course, I aim to return to the same borders on Friday. The trail is designated as park by Saanich and cycling is permitted.

I'm posting this early in the week to encourage others to organize other Friday options from the regular Oak Bay meet-up.

Leaving 6:00 a.m. from the Esso on the northeast corner of Shelbourne at Hillside, we will head north through some new cut-throughs to Bow Park, Lochside, Broadmead, the ROGC, and Beaver Lake, before turning south for Shoal Point via Glendale, Colquitz, Tillicum, Banfield, and the Goose.

Pace will need to average 20+ kph in order to make cawfee by 7:30; so this will be a bit zippier than most of our regular weekday mornings. Numbers should probably be limited to about 8-10, max. Pipe up below if you're keen, so we know to wait for you, given the different meetup location.

Here's the route: https://www.plotaroute.com/route/986894 There will be deviations. :D There will be no golf.

(Unless we bring glow-in-the-dark discs. 8))

Last edited by Rolf on Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wonger

Re: Friday, December 20 - Earlier, Zippier, Royal Oak Golf Course

Post by wonger »

Keen!
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

Me too! And probably Greg too. We love any ride that starts anywhere closer to home and riding something new sounds fun!!!
Ann

Post by Ann »

Garth and I are probably in. I’m excited to go back and explore those trails some more!
Dolly

Post by Dolly »

Very clever Rolf. Making us commit by limiting the numbers!! I will be there.
Alan

Post by Alan »

I'm in....the usual way...

Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Dolly wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:55 pm Very clever Rolf. Making us commit by limiting the numbers!!
:D Looks like we might end up oversubscribed; but there's plenty of time for someone else to learn the route in advance. Or come up with some other fun routes. 8) People should still indicate their interest, even if the numbers look large...

Of course, if it's 3 degrees and pouring rain, that can help with the numbers, too.
Last edited by Rolf on Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg F

Post by Greg F »

The good thing about the golf course - easier to see everyone and easier to cut corners to catch up and stay close if need be.
esilnarson

Post by esilnarson »

In like Flynn.

Brian E
Claire

Post by Claire »

Steve and I are in. I volunteer to study the route and lead a group.
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Rolf wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:03 pm Looks like we might end up oversubscribed; but there's plenty of time for someone else to learn the route in advance.
WTF. This is a silly. It penalizes those who don't have their schedules in order 6 weeks before the ride.

Assuming I get my tire problem sorted, I will be leaving ALONE at 5:55 am from the Esso (seriously). Catch me if you care to and can.
Last edited by JTyre on Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

JTyre wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:48 pm
Rolf wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:03 pm Looks like we might end up oversubscribed; but there's plenty of time for someone else to learn the route in advance.
WTF. This is a silly. It penalizes those who don't have their schedules in order 6 weeks before the ride.

Assuming I get my tire problem sorted, I will be leaving ALONE at 5:55 am from the ENSO (seriously). Catch me if you care to and can.
WTF is "the ENSO"?

1. The El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO) is a recurring climate pattern involving changes in the temperature of waters in the central and eastern tropical Pacific Ocean.

Given your vocation, I'd guess you were invoking this definition. But that still doesn't help me ascribe any meaning to your spittle-flecked, red-faced, chest-hammering above.

2. In Zen, ensō (円相, "circle") is a circle that is hand-drawn in one or two uninhibited brushstrokes to express a moment when the mind is free to let the body create.

What's the penalization threatened here? That you get to have a fun, creative cross ride you maybe didn't plan on? Sounds like real hell... :roll:

(Maybe you need to add a little Zen to your tire sealant.)
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

rduncan

Post by rduncan »

I’m a maybe depending on if this cold let’s me. If there’s a split I’ll go with Steve and Claire.

So we’re all meeting at shebourne hillside?

Wtf is enso? And jt as if you’re riding alone.
Rob Duncan
mandreassen

Post by mandreassen »

I'm in....It'll be wet and muddy but not freezing cold!
Greg F

Post by Greg F »

I don’t know what “enso” means either, but when you search for a gif under it, cross-appropriate magic just....happens.
JTyre

Re: Friday, December 20 - Earlier, Zippier, ENSO-ier, Royal Oak Golf Course

Post by JTyre »

After sitting with my meditation log for the better part of the afternoon I have come to recognize that I don't even know what ENSO means. Nor do I have a clear explanation for lashing out at Rolf, a BFF of mine.

Rolf, I will be delighted to join either your group or Claire's on this Fridays rompee*.

*Assuming that I have an operating rear tyre by then.
AJ Neale

Post by AJ Neale »

So we have to endure GIF's AND we have to take a number ??

I'm in.

Andrew
Paul Chris

Post by Paul Chris »

Sometime in 2019 I will cx with you OUTLAWS ( the 1% of cyclists who are outside the law) And at least twice in 2020.
Especially if you have a second SLOWER group.
Claire

Post by Claire »

The weather forecast for the morning looks excellent. At 6am Env Canada calls for a 100% chance of showers (down from a dramatically different 100% chance of rain thru the night).

Should be glorious.