PSA: Trigger Bell

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

schouten

PSA: Trigger Bell

Post by schouten »

I know trail safety and etiquette comes up on the forums from time-to-time so I thought I would share my experience with my new Trigger Bell:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mob ... prod189164

It's really quite awesome. I have it installed at the top of my left hood and can easily ding it with my thumb without lifting my hand from the hoods. This is crucial when riding on trails, making it much more practical to use.

If you don't have a bell on your Cross/Gravel rig, I highly recommend this unit.

You may now return to your scheduled giphing.
Bandit
Rolf

Re: PSA: Trigger Bell

Post by Rolf »

But does it come in metallic orange?
schouten

Post by schouten »

Sadly, no. So far its one fault. I wonder if I can make a suggestion....
Bandit
mashby

Post by mashby »

accessorize Ron!
schouten

Post by schouten »

mashby wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:44 pm accessorize Ron!
Giphy demo coming soon...
Bandit
alan boden

Post by alan boden »

MEC has an air horn ($25 w free shipping) that uses a bike pump to fill the canister- it gets people’s attention - even in cars!
Alan Boden
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

What about a polite "hello, I'm on your left!"
schouten

Post by schouten »

LouiseF wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:07 pm What about a polite "hello, I'm on your left!"

Sometimes I don't think think you're a real cyclist L3...
Last edited by schouten on Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bandit
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

LouiseF wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:07 pm What about a polite "hello, I'm on your left!"
I always try to do that too! The bell’s for when you’re still too far away for the spoken word to carry. And for blind corners in the woods, or around urban structures.

We came across a few walkers on the CHGC chip trail this morning and were moving slowly enough to have quick words as we passed.

In one case, I gave a ding from quite far back, so a couple turned around and pulled their dog to the side of the trail to watch me go by. I covered my light and was able to say “I’m terribly sorry for the inconvenience, but we’re a group of eight in total. Have a lovely walk.”

I heard “no problem at all” from the gentleman and peals of incredulous, slightly manic laughter from the lady.

It was a near-perfect pedestrian interaction, minus the incongruous mirth and consequent hair standing up on my neck.
Greg F

Post by Greg F »

schouten wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:44 pm

Sometimes I don't think think your a real cyclist L3...
Don’t worry, L3, as long as the Trigger Bell isn’t connected to Ron’s Garmin, it should work JUST fine!!
Alan

Post by Alan »

This post makes the military guy come out in me.
Rolf: Seriously dude, you're too nice.
You should expect them to thank you for not getting in your way. Bloody dog walkers--sheesh!