VCL#1_Report

Moderator: mfarnham

JohnT

VCL#1_Report

Post by JohnT »

It was clear today that great racing doesn't require good weather nor a large field. The C race started at 2 pm on a dry track with just four entries. They dealt with a brief downpour and Richele Frank, who recently moved from Vancouver (I am told), eventually gapped James Holtz to claim the win with a remarkably steady 50-sec/lap pace. Congratulations also to James Burns (3rd) and Donna Stokes (4th) - You got the 2019 VCL series off to a great start. The sun came out for the B race, but the soaked track meant that by the end most people had Paris-Roubaix faces. Twenty entered the B race - thanks everyone for coming out despite the forecast and morning gale. If you were in it, feel free to add more. I'll just note that there were several attacks, but few lasted more than a lap. Jim W. led, so did Isla. Occasionally small groups gapped the pack, but never by enough to really threaten. Neil (who had a great sprint and missed 3rd by a fraction of a second) was often pulling the chase group, making sure everything was under control. Trevor Orne remarked that the wet track led to a less sketchy race, much less braking through the corners. Lots of Tripleshot youth (seven racers aged 16 or less, plus a few more teenagers) - well done Lister,.... and Isla, Trevor M., Remy, Alen, Conor, Sam, Tristan, and Liam. Several non-Tripleshot teenagers were there to - excellent. The B-race pace varied, fast laps were 43 seconds long and there were several 46 and 47 second laps. The A race had just seven entries, but what a show. Seriously. I understand that most soaking wet C's and B's left to avoid freezing to death, but you missed something extraordinary. Raphael Auclair, a Canadian mountain bike racer with many world cup races in his resume (e.g., Switzerland, Germany, South Africa), was in town for the Bear Mountain Canada Cup. He attacked twice, the first time was on the start of lap 2. Then he and Isaac LeBlanc broke away together and quickly set about lapping the remaining five. Amazingly, Isaac couldn't quite hang on to the 39 second/lap pace. The five, not keen on the idea of being lapped tried to stay ahead as Raphael approached leaving Issac in no-mans land (can't keep up with his break-away partner and now the damn pack is accelerating). Raphael caught them and then set off on round two. I think this was a bit of a shock. WTF, he's trying to do it again? The pack tried to up the pace again, this time to keep up with the man who was threatening to leave them for a second time. So mid way we've got the leader pulling a five- (then four-) member, lapped pack around the course and ultimately back up to Issac, who himself is looking back thinking, WTF, I was in the break-away, and now I am going to be lapped? Raphael got away from the pack, passed Issac alone, and then headed off with his sights on catching the pack again. Issac, who at one time had almost lapped the field was now back in it, ...and toast. Team mate Clayton Hiltz was having none of this double lapping business. He left the pack. Already a lap down, the goal wasn't so much to catch Raphael, as it was to be well ahead of the pack when Raphael came round again, which he did. Amazingly, once Raphael caught the pack again, he set off for a third time. By now there was no time left to make it all the way around, but he did manage to catch Clayton just before his last lap bell. It was an impressive display and an amazing work out for the A's. Race 1 and I suspect they are sitting at home now feeling like it's the middle of the season. Thanks very much to Martin and Craig Smith for so much help.

JT
Fozzy

Re: VCL#1_Report

Post by Fozzy »

Awesome report John. Would have loved to have seen the A race.