Volunteer *ride leaders* needed this Sunday Sept 9

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

mfarnham

Volunteer *ride leaders* needed this Sunday Sept 9

Post by mfarnham »

The 7th Annual Ambriss Clermont Memorial Ride to raise money for Victoria Hospice will be held on Sunday at 8am, departing from Russ Hay's bike shop, 650 Hillside Ave in Victoria. The ride honours the memory of Ambriss Clermont, Mike Clermont's wife and former co-owner of Russ Hay's. Mike has long been a friend of Tripleshot and has provided substantial moral and financial support to our Youth program and to cycling around Victoria generally.

Victoria Hospice (which provides home medical treatment) is an alternative to hospital treatment for people with a terminal illness as they negotiate the last few weeks of life. Many of us will likely end up wanting the option of something like Hospice for ourselves or loved ones at some point. So even if you don't benefit from Hospice today, it's probably a cause worth supporting for when you do need it.

Last year several Tripleshot members did the ride. Afterwards, John Dower suggested that the ride would benefit from some Tripleshotters serving as Ride Leaders. Mike welcomed the support, and has asked us to supply 6 volunteers for this Sunday's ride. I think this fits nicely into our mandate to give back to the community, especially in ways that tie into cycling.

Many people will be racing cross on Sunday, which means we need non-cross-racers to step up and help out with the Ambriss Clermont ride. If you're not racing cross on Sunday, consider turning up and lending a hand to this ride. You'll have time afterwards to ride over and cheer on your friends racing at Topaz Park.

More information about the ride can be found here: https://www.victoriahospice.org/events/ ... orial-ride

There are multiple distances (25km, 66km, and 100km). I will be participating. Post here if you'd like to join me.

Cheers!
Martin
barton bourassa

Re: Volunteer *ride leaders* needed this Sunday Sept 9

Post by barton bourassa »

Hi Martin. I am going to sign up for the 60 K ride. I'd be pleased to help with ride support at this distance.

If others can't make it to the ride you can still donate to an amazing cause. Go to the website Martin has posted!

Barton
Barton Bourassa
Steven

Post by Steven »

I'm participating in this event.
Since arriving in Victoria at the start of 2018, my wife who's a palliative care nurse has taken up a volunteer role at the Victoria Hospice.
My Dad also spent his final days at Dove House Hospice in Hull, England.
myboys

Post by myboys »

I’m happy to volunteer as a ride leader.
Gerry L

Post by Gerry L »

Sign me up for the 25 k ride.

Gerry
Claire

Post by Claire »

Steve Lund and I can volunteer. Happy to do any distance. Should we contact the organizers or just show up (or something else)?

Claire
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

I'm going to register at the link above, and then show up. That involves paying something. Probably best to do that, though they probably wouldn't turn away non-paying volunteer ride leaders.

See you all Sunday! And tomorrow!

Martin
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

I've registered and created a team called "Tripleshot Cycling Club". Feel free to register on your own, or register as part of the team.

Ride leaders don't have to register, but the registration fee is small and it sure is a nice cause.

Volunteer ride leaders are asked to show up between 7 and 7:30am. There will be coffee and snacks.

Cheers!
Martin
jbarrett

Post by jbarrett »

I've registered too and will see you all tomorrow morning before 7:30.

Joe
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

Thanks to all who made it out. Mike Clermont had some very kind words about Tripleshot in his remarks before the ride.

Martin