Are TT bikes welcome at TTT Thursdays?

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

mfarnham

Are TT bikes welcome at TTT Thursdays?

Post by mfarnham »

I haven't been out for this ride in over a year. Have a former student in town with a TT bike who did Masters Nationals in the 40-49 group (all three races). He's intrigued by our TTT ride and would like to show up on his TT bike. I recall people showing up on TT bikes in the past, but wasn't sure whether that was still kosher.

Martin
Bosie

Re: Are TT bikes welcome at TTT Thursdays?

Post by Bosie »

Hi Martin.

From my recent experience, TT bikes do turn up, but usually ride on their own, either off the back or next to/ around the others.

For those who ride on a TT bike in the group, they need to understand that in the TT position the control and braking from that position is arguably limited and may put the rest of the group at risk. Its not a closed course like a velodrome and so with pedestrians and wildlife occasionally stepping out onto the "course", they need to be cognizant of the difference .

Im sure there are pros who can ride safely in any group, but I know of some high profile crashes in years gone by where folks were on TT bikes in the group.

Craig
Craig B.
wonger

Post by wonger »

The answer is no.
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

Yeah, Craig's points make sense, especially in light of recent safety issues.

I told him he could TT solo. He's cool with that and might just TT the waterfront instead as he seemed to enjoy the course on Friday.

Hoping to make it out for my first time in ages tomorrow.

Martin