Friday, Feb. 2

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

Rolf

Friday, Feb. 2

Post by Rolf »

Anyone up for a Royal Oak, Elk Lake, Colquitz loop? Downtown around 8:15?

Here's your unrelated, but entertaining visual plaything.. :wink:
Alan

Re: Friday, Feb. 2

Post by Alan »

I'm in for tomorrow, but I hope it doesn't end that way. Even if it rains, every ride should lead us to our happy place. Alan after a ride is often like this little guy: Happy. Naked. Wet.
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

I’m in.

And Rolf, if the crew heads this way, thinking PR (= Peter Reid), then maybe on the “Elk Lake West” segment they might consider, that is if things feel right, this:
Attachments
2AA05F4F-4A18-4C45-AE97-682407F7A4E8.png
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Isn’t that one southbound, John? I was thinking of hitting it northbound and then doing the Brookleigh/Sparton connector to Interurban/Colquitz. But whatevs. I’m happy to help you with one of these childish KOM thingies... :wink:

What do you guys think about getting that 15 min. jump by “pulling a 38” and meeting at the gas station at Shelbourne and Hillside at 6, instead of OBH?
wonger

Post by wonger »

I won’t make it tomorrow as I’m in Powell River, but heads up on Colquitz. It’s under water and I had to head out on Wilkinson and Interurban to get back to the goose. Have fun!
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Thanks, Geoff. Things are saturated everywhere, it seems.

A&J et al.: let me know here about the alternate meet-up. Otherwise, I’ll seeya at OBH.
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

I’m good with that plan, R. Let’s cross-check tomorrow morn.

John
Alan

Post by Alan »

Sorry, checking this late. I got a note from Tim wondering where we're meeting and I told him Oak Bay high at 6:05. So, if it's ok with you, let's go for the status quo tomorrow.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Roger that. OBH it is. Will be great to have Tim along!
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

You missed a great ride this morning Geoff. So good we had to talk Rolf down from a runaway endorphin/caffeine rush.

And, here’s Alan when we hit the Panama floods:

Rolf

Post by Rolf »

That rush still has me bopping around the office, slaying to-do's with aplomb.

In fairness, I think mine was the loudest voice in favour of turning around. Alan sounded like he wanted to ford the rather fast-flowing river carving through the trail and flooding the flats.

So much water out there! Bowker Creek, Lochside Creek, Kings, Blenkinsop Creek, Colquitz River—every creek and stream was in a full-throated roar.

Also: did you notice that there is, in fact, a trail over to Lochside from Leeds Place? As much as I welcome the sensation of being completely lost and disoriented, it's nice to know we weren't too far off. :)

The spidey-senses were bang on; too bad our eyes didn't follow through. It looks like a fun little trail through a patch of greenspace:

Below is the the trail head we missed. Moral of the story? Always, always look and see, what's behind a willow tree.

8)

JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Yes! I saw a faint opening there but only kinda-softly mentioned it under-my-breath. When we came out of the subsequent cul-de-sac I was going to suggest going back but got caught up in the flow.

Willow trees indeed. Damn ecosystems! When are they going to learn who's boss?