Riding the Great Trail and beyond

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

TedHobby

Riding the Great Trail and beyond

Post by TedHobby »

Although I haven't ridden with you fine people in a while, I'm still working hard to make Tripleshot famous in my own way. I documented a 330km Gravel Grind to Nitinat Lake and back over the Canada Day long weekend and didn't change my kit once, as evidenced by the video below...

https://youtu.be/fwXGcRJ7N4Q
Chris Watt

Re: Riding the Great Trail and beyond

Post by Chris Watt »

Wow- nicely done Ted- both film and epic ride- thanks for sharing. Beautiful time lapse shot at 3:41. And finishing with a wee climb up Observatory- that's suffering for your art!

- Chris
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

Beautiful video Ted. And nice cycling club product placement. ;)

Did you record the ride on Strava? I'd be curious to see the route from Caycuse to Nitinat Lake. Was there much logging traffic? Were roads well signed? I've considered trying to get from Renfrew to Nitinat on a bike, but the roads are such a plate of spaghetti that I worry about getting lost.

I'm going to be in Bamfield next week. Your video may tip me into taking a gravel bike along for purposes of exploring.

Martin
TedHobby

Post by TedHobby »

Thanks Martin! It's quite straight forward to get from Lake Cowichan to Nitinat, the main roads are well signed (with directions to Bamfield as well, for that matter) and Google Maps knows what's up. There wasn't any logging traffic when I did it, but that was probably because it was on a holiday weekend. Lots of recreational traffic though. If you can figure out a time when traffic will be light, it's a really enjoyable ride. Otherwise you'll be eating a LOT of dust...
TedHobby

Post by TedHobby »

Almost forgot, here's the Strava!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1064785592
burtonbikes

Post by burtonbikes »

Sensational video. Martin and I did some of that new trail a couple of weeks ago and you captured some of the great moments. Wow, aren't we lucky to live here and cycle this beautiful country!
Tom Burton
Paula

Post by Paula »

Great video! Inspirational - I want to do that ride - minus the ride up the Observatory and peeing standing up (I'm just saying).
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Dear Ted: you're my newest hero. (For even the editing alone!)
AJ Neale

Post by AJ Neale »

Really amazing trip and video Ted, thanks for sharing. For anybody venturing to Nitinat and wanting to avoid dust, just go when the roads are wet from rain ..... that's about 345 days of the year! Of course you then have mud ;)

Andrew
Brian S

Post by Brian S »

Great video and great trails
Components of these Great Canadian trails have become my 'commute' route to Cowichan.
In addition to the very cool riding of the Millstream Heights route, and the Kinsol to Cowichan connection, the 'newer' of the old rail bed trails from Duncan at Tansoor road through to Lake Cowichan is probably the best conditioned route--rideable with 28 mm road tires easily
Tutto il rosa della vita