Bike cameras

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

Bosie

Bike cameras

Post by Bosie »

With the increase in road rage towards bikers, I'm thinking of getting a bike camera for security.

Anyone have any experience with these gadgets?

Would you get one to face backwards, forwards or both?

Do you think they are worth it?
Craig B.
DBarnes

Re: Bike cameras

Post by DBarnes »

Craig,

We are looking at purchasing the Fly6; after what happened to Megan I am thinking this would be a great investment. Not sure if you need front and back but we are sure interested in getting a rear facing camera.

https://cycliq.com/

Rear Light /Camera $199
Front Light / Camera $399
WendellC

Post by WendellC »

I think ideally you will need a forward and rear facing camera. As this covers vehicles not yielding as well issues overtaking. In terms of features, it is best to find one that will auto-loop so you don't have to continually clear the memory card to continue recording (I think a number of the cameras do this now including some GoPros).

The cycliq cameras are nice (but expensive) in that the combine a light and camera together so you can reduce the clutter a bit. I have the original Fly6 (kickstarter) and it works pretty well, although the actual tail light function could be brighter (I run a second brighter light in winter). I have had mixed results getting licence plates of speeding cars (e.g., see viewtopic.php?p=32047#p32047 ), but newer versions are higher resolution and have a higher frame rates so they will likely do a better job.

Camera in general are a hassle to run, as you only get about 5 hours run time so its one more gadget to charge, but now for better or worse I have a collection interesting transgressions. Some of the more interesting include:
  • The recent sufferfest 80 kph close pass
  • someone nearly clocking me in the Blanshard St. bike lane (wheels were over the white line - again no license plate)
  • someone "rolling coal" on me (although I must say it was poorly executed)
  • a variety of out of shape cyclists getting dropped while attempting to get a free draft down the peninsula when I commute home.
  • a variety of lazy roadies picking up a free draft (few offer to take a pull)
  • getting my doors blown off consistently by the same roadie day after day.
  • e-bike riders blowing my doors off and aggressively passing on blind corners on the lochside path. That one was crazy as I actually bridged up and clocked them at 50 kph on the path!
  • idiot with lumber sticking about 3 feet to the side of their vehicle
  • various tight passes to get to a stoplight first
  • people yelling word salads from passing vehicles.
Most incidents felt worse than they look on video (likely due to wide angle). Also zero convictions so far.
Gerry L

Post by Gerry L »

I have been using the Garmin radar the last few months.

Pros:
-detects the car before it is audible for a few extra seconds of warning
- shows how many cars are approaching and how fast
- if closing speed > 30 kph a red indicator shows on the head unit and maybe gives a chance to dive for cover
-useful when contemplating a left hand turn- help to know if more than one vehicle behind
-works best on back-roads- like a "car back" call to yourself
-changes pattern or brightness to alert drivers
-motor cycles are detected a few seconds later than other vehicles
-it will sometimes detect a group of cyclists (but not one)
-battery has lasted over 5 hours

Cons
-not useful in group rides. The "beep" is too quiet to hear over the noise of the other bikes and watching the display is not possible
-does not show if car is on collision course
-need to use a compatible head unit
-$270 at MEC

I find it most useful on solo rides on back roads- much like a rear view mirror.

Gerry L
frankchien

Post by frankchien »

The Idea seems really very nice to implement..