Youth rider injured in hit and run- grey dodge dakota

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

Lister Farrar

Youth rider injured in hit and run- grey dodge dakota

Post by Lister Farrar »

14 year old Megan Barnes of the ts youth team, recently back from track Nationals where she was part of the u17 national champion team pursuit pursuit team, was knocked off her bike in a hit and run. Witnesses saw the vehicle. She had an ambulance ride and X-rays but nothing broken, despite "20 feet in the air". Going to see her this am.

Watch for this vehicle.

http://www.iheartradio.ca/cfax-1070/new ... -1.2555897
Last edited by Lister Farrar on Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Claire

Re: Youth rider injured in hit and run- grey dodge dakota

Post by Claire »

Oh no. That's so awful. Thanks for letting us know, Lister. Megan is such a sweetie and a dynamo on the bike. I'm glad there's nothing broken but coming back from a run-in with a car is never fun. Best wishes to Megan.

(And I sure hope the jerk with the truck is tracked down and lynched.)
AJ Neale

Post by AJ Neale »

Thank you for bringing this to our attention Lister and please pass along our best to Megan and family. I know any Tripleshot mom or dad would feel as I did when I heard this news; we wish you a full recovery Megan and applaud your resilience ....... hope you and your smile are back on the road soon.

Andrew Neale
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

I saw Megan this morning. She looks amazingly good, no concussion and just scrapes and bruises. And pretty chipper, considering 20 ' "in the air". Impact was on her left side rear axle, qr skewer bent 90 degrees, rear wheel buckled. She was going north on wallace, turning left on Willis Pt Rd. Shoulder checked before going to turn (track skilz!), saw the pick-up approach from behind fast(speeding), hesitated to go left, then agitated driver waved them across, as she was turning too. Megan rode ahead of Casey, to start their intervals separately, and remembers being on the shoulder. Next thing she remembers is landing in the ditch. Mostly hit grass and shoulder, missed posts nearby. (Thank god). Another driver stopped, and Megan chewed her out for hitting her, not realizing it was not her (feeling very sheepish about that). Bus driver saw Megan flying, stopped and put on flashers. Casey didn't see the impact, was several metres back. CHEK, and tc doing reports, on top of Cfax. Megan remembers the driver as women in late thirties.
Last edited by Lister Farrar on Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Paul C.

Post by Paul C. »

Please have Meagan read these posts.

Sorry to hear the bad news...you will be back soon. You are an inspiration to alot of people Megan....even old guys who you have beaten by you in numerous races!
Cheers p.c.
Vanisleperc

Post by Vanisleperc »

This is such a devastating read. Fantastic to hear there was no significant physical injuries but the psychological impact of such cowardly behavior cannot be measured. Hoping that this doesn't significantly impact Megan's development. I hope my daughters are never subjected to this sort of bias and anger on the road.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

At the VCL today we heard a couple of other local elite racers had an altercation with a driver in a truck of the same description, a month ago. The driver cut in front of the riders, and jammed on the brakes, in what looked like a deliberate attempt to have the riders hit and fall. One hit the truck and fell, the other avoided the truck, which sped away, but chased until he could get the license plate number. That license plate has gone to Saanich police. Hopefully this can result in an arrest.

Also please spread the word. Others may have been threatened or attacked also, and the more stories, places, and times the police have to work with, the better the chance of a conviction.

Please share and circulate widely, especially those with westshore and highlands connections.

Grey-ish Dodge Dakota, wooden sides on truck bed walls.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
DBarnes

Post by DBarnes »

Hi TS Community,

First off I want to thank all of you for the heart felt wishes to Megan and hoping for her speedy recovery. We have a great feeling that she will be on her bike very soon. Nothing is going to stop that kid from success. As Lister mentioned earlier in this post Megan walked (limped) away from the HIT AND RUN with only minor (Thankfully) injuries. She has a few scratches and bruises on her backside, slightly stiff neck and a tender left leg but she is able to walk without assistance. She has been resting, eating ice cream and cookies to help with any swelling. She has yet to learn what healthy eating is ;)

Fortunately her and the bike both came out of the HIT AND RUN with minor damage but it could have been much much worse. Megan had all of her lights on from the time her and Casey left PISE (I know because I personally turned them on). Megan's rear light is a Bontrager Flare R "one of the brightest ones on the market today so there was no reason for this driver not to see Megan. Upon getting to the scene of the HIT AND RUN Megan's first words to me were "How is my bike? Are there any scratches?" as the paramedics are putting her on a backboard. That is someone who loves to ride and loves her bike even more. More worried about the bike than herself.

Megan did not want to sit at home on Sunday but head up to support the riders in the Caleb Pike VCL race. She seems to feel better when she is around cyclists but only wished she could have raced and beat David Hill again ;P

There is plenty of press coming out in the social media and local news about this HIT AND RUN. Please be vigilant on the roads while cycling, pass the information along to others and if you do notice a vehicle that looks similar to the one police are looking for take photos and call 911. Don't take matters into your own hands.

LET'S GET THIS INDIVIDUAL OFF THE ROADS and hopefully behind bars.

Thanks again for the support it is truly amazing; Megan will be back in the saddle in no time.

Darrell
katew

Post by katew »

I hope they find this person and press charges appropriate for harming a person with a 1000-kilo piece of metal. At speed.

In the meantime, I love to hear of Megan's spirit and think she's more than earned one of these:

(I bought one for my husband after he shattered his ankle in three places mountain biking last fall)
kateweber.com
DBarnes

Post by DBarnes »

Kate that is an awesome shirt. Megan's grandpa bought her this bike for Christmas so she was pretty concerned about it. Thankfully I believe that she will still be able to ride/race it.

Megan attended the TS youth training ride last night because she was feeling great although she was warned to take it easy and ride in the C Group. Megan and I rode the previous night for 20 minutes with no issues (pain, headaches) but during last nights training ride she started to get headaches during the hill climbing sections. She talked to Bryson about how she was feeling and they both agreed that she should stop and finish the training by riding in the car with Bryson. That is the best way to do hills anyway ;)

Bryson found a crack in Megan's helmet that I initially missed :( . Looks like she hit her head harder than initially thought.

Megan is going in for a concussion assessment this afternoon. Looks like recovery will take longer than initially thought.
Paul C.

Post by Paul C. »

Is my bike ok??
Great tripleshot slogan and tshirt idea.
I will take one.

Executive : how do we make this happen??
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

A witness to the hit and run, a bus driver, sent these photos of what he thinks the truck looked like, except with wood sides to the box. There is likely damage to the right bumper about axle level. Megan's rear quick release left end was bent at 90 degrees.

Call Saanich police if you think you've seen it. 250-475-4321.
Attachments
dodge dakota front three quarter view.jpg
dodge dakota front three quarter view.jpg (12.26 KiB) Viewed 9819 times
dodge dakota side view.jpg
dodge dakota side view.jpg (13.97 KiB) Viewed 9819 times
dodge dakota rear view.jpg
dodge dakota rear view.jpg (10.92 KiB) Viewed 9819 times
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)