Ridiculous rings to rejoice in the return of the radiance

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Claire

Ridiculous rings to rejoice in the return of the radiance

Post by Claire »

a.k.a. Silly Solstice Century

Let's keep the dream alive. I don't have a punchy, prepared sales pitch, but based on extensive consultation with Barton and a smattering of others, it was determined that no one else was going to initiate this and it seemed a shame to just let it die a quiet death.

So, rather than reinventing the wheel, I'll just point you to last year's post as we can just repeat the drill from the previous well organized and attended iteration.

For various reasons of logistics, weather and timing, the declared date for this frivolity shall be Saturday, December 24th. I know, it's Christmas Eve. But what better day to pre-burn a bunch of calories on your bike with friends? You've already carved out Saturday mornings for a group ride anyway, right? Besides, it's Day One of the Rapha Festive 500 and who doesn't want to get a jump on that?

Let the silliness live on!
Depart Menzies Discovery Coffee at 7am, ride 60 BHP laps as a group, have more coffee, retreat to indoors for merry-making en famille.
Last edited by Claire on Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
roadflasj

Re: Ridiculous rings to rejoice in the return of the radianc

Post by roadflasj »

So you're planning on 100+ miles at an estimated high of 3C the day before Christmas? Looks like there also might be snow but anything to get out there right? I'm still reminiscing over an awkwardly planned Christmas Day ride, viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6217. I might be riding the normal 60 laps or 100km this Sunday if I can bust my cold in time, nothing like being super duper rested before several hours of paced riding in marginal weather. Good luck to everyone completing the 100 laps!
Kenji Jackson
Claire

Post by Claire »

First of all: Weather forecasts (at least in this part of the world) more than two days out are BS. It'll be a seasonably balmy and wet December 24 if history has any say in it. As for this Sunday... that looks decidedly less pleasant, not to mention too short-notice at this stage. I for one need more time to mentally prepare to have my mind so thoroughly numbed.

Also, the winter solstice ride is traditionally (and mercifully) a shorter 100k (60 laps). One hundred miles in December would just be ludicrous.
Bosie

Post by Bosie »

Im in- got to do the Solstice double and kicking off the Rapha 500 with 160km before Xmas seems like a very good idea :)
Craig B.
katew

Post by katew »

Claire wrote:Also, the winter solstice ride is traditionally (and mercifully) a shorter 100k (60 laps). One hundred miles in December would just be ludicrous.
Indeed. Outrageous.
kateweber.com
Claire

Post by Claire »

Sorry... Just corrected my overly-ambitious typo re: the distance. Sixty (60) laps - 100k which is quite enough, methinks. The weather looks... pleasant?
Bosie

Post by Bosie »

Ill probably have to meet you on the rings...Dont wait for me, my progress will be call dependent.
Craig B.
Claire

Post by Claire »

Success! Reports vary, but we maxed out at around two dozen folks in this morning's dizzy-making peloton. Some put in just a few stealth laps in the dark; the fair-weather types showed up a little later. There was nary a mishap - despite intermittent frostiness and a particularly tenacious patch near the world's tallest totem pole. Arguably, the fact that Disco on Menzies was closed could be classified as a mishap, but luckily Alan was able to procure his morning purgative from Sbx down the road - which thankfully had the decency to be open at the appointed hour.

Thanks to everyone who took part in this biannual traditional silliness.
Ann

Post by Ann »

Claire, thank you for bringing cookies! I had one at coffee and it was amazing! Any chance you will share your recipe? I have couple of teenagers that would love them enough to make them.
Mikael

Post by Mikael »

Thank you Claire for organizing and giving me cookies! I had a great time. Merry christmas /season's greetings.