Another technical problem

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Rita

Another technical problem

Post by Rita »

In today's episode of Rita's bike maintenance sessions: I'm trying to replace my brake pads on my road bike. The brakes are Shimano 105. Since our Bike Maintenance book said that this is an easy job, I thought I'll do it myself instead of letting the shop do it. Well, that was a good plan, until I needed to get the shoe out of the shoe holder. I unscrewed the fixing bolt and took it out and then thought I could just slide the remains of the old shoe out, but it's not moving at all. I've tried both sides of my rear brakes so far and neither of them is moving. :evil:

I should add that these brake blocks are heavily worn - I should have replaced them much earlier. :roll:

So, I wondered if anybody has any good advice on how to deal with this other than going back to the bike shop and buying new shoe holders?

Any advice will be much appreciated!
Rita

Re: Another technical problem

Post by Rita »

Okay, I can report some success. I got one shoe out after soaking it in washing-up liquid and using a screwdriver to push it out. :) It's a bit dodgy and prone to injury. So, if I don't come out to the hills tomorrow, I either stabbed myself in the hand or I have less than 4 functional brake pads.
I'm still open for suggestions of better solutions!
Roland

Post by Roland »

I usually leave the brakes on the bike, take the wheels off and push the pads out with a screw driver.

PS: http://www.amazon.com/Zinn-Art-Road-Bik ... 1884737706" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
iross

Post by iross »

Uh-oh. I'm glad I'm not at home to see this...
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

At risk of being mocked by the real mechanics in the group I have had the same problem and what I do is either use a screwdriver the same as Rita (let me show you my Stigmata some time!) or I have grabbed a hold of the shoe with a pliers and grabbed the pad with another pliers and pulled. I have yet to do any damage (to myself)that way.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

If there's enough rubber left, you can clamp the pad in a vise (after removing the holder from the brake) then gently tap the holder off the pad with a smooth ended blunt punch and light hammer. This can be helpful if you find the 'brake on bike' or 'in your hand' methods move around too much. In some holders, the fixing bolt goes through the pad. Remove it if you suspect this, it will stop the pad coming out.

Or, as Roland suggested, leave the holders on the braker, remove the wheel, and tap the pads out with a punch and hammer. If the holder bolts don't interfere with the pad.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Rita

Post by Rita »

Thanks everybody for the tricks and tips. I used the 1. soapy water, 2. screwdriver and 3. pliers technique and it worked without adding any scars to my body :P. I think I'll try Roland's technique on my cross bike at the weekend. I also like the gentle sound of Lister's method, though we don't have a vise.
Brian S

Post by Brian S »

Rita--don't worry about not having a vise. Vices are way more fun.
Tutto il rosa della vita
cashman

Post by cashman »

An awesome web site is:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

easy to follow step by step instructions.

Colin
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT!"
mlawless

Post by mlawless »

I do not understand what this thread is all about. Do you mean you bought a bike with replaceable parts ? I had no idea! SOunds like shoddy manufacturing to me (but then I am no mechanic).

Michael
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

mlawless wrote:I do not understand what this thread is all about. Do you mean you bought a bike with replaceable parts ? I had no idea!

There's more Mike. Even dirt is 'replaceable' on most bikes ...

(This message brought to you by the SPCB, the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Bicycles.)
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Katie

Post by Katie »

mlawless wrote:I do not understand what this thread is all about. Do you mean you bought a bike with replaceable parts ? I had no idea! SOunds like shoddy manufacturing to me (but then I am no mechanic).
In the world of Product Quality, designing a product with replaceable parts is simply a way to "mitigate the expected failure of inadequate components". Not so much shoddy manufacturing as a shoddy design. :)
mlawless

Post by mlawless »

Lister,

Replaceable dirt - that is funny. sadly, I do not know how to replace dirt - it appears to me (and from a casual inspection of my bike) that once dirt becomes affixed to the bike it cannot simply be replaced. Perhaps you have a tool or technique that allows you to remove dirt from your bike? Anytime you would like to practice on my bike just let me know!

Michael
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Katie wrote:
mlawless wrote:I do not understand what this thread is all about. Do you mean you bought a bike with replaceable parts ? I had no idea! SOunds like shoddy manufacturing to me (but then I am no mechanic).
In the world of Product Quality, designing a product with replaceable parts is simply a way to "mitigate the expected failure of inadequate components". Not so much shoddy manufacturing as a shoddy design. :)
Katie:
I guess you mean someone should dream up a way of braking that doesn't involve friction. But while we're waiting for the reverse warp drive, ('Beam me back Scotty?') Mike will still have to call the butler in to renew his brake pads.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)