Not crash-related (though, perhaps crash-preventative)

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

Claire

Not crash-related (though, perhaps crash-preventative)

Post by Claire »

Does anyone have a good suggestion for fairly grippy winter tires? My winter bike's tires tend to slip on the hills, and I fear that may also translate into slipping when cornering or at other inopportune times (not that there's an opportune time for tire slippage). It's possible they're Gatorskins, which I believe may have a reputation for slippage. But my summer bike's Vittoria Rubinos also give me some grief, too, if I'm caught climbing in the rain on them.

And don't tell me I should sit my ass down to climb. That's just inconvenient.
alan boden

Re: Not crash-related (though, perhaps crash-preventative)

Post by alan boden »

Arguably the best all-around tires are Conti 4000sII's...sticky rubber compound, used 'em for years - only drawback in the past, was they were susceptible to sidewall cuts, but they corner well under most conditions.
Alan Boden
alan boden

Post by alan boden »

Having said that - most tires are going to be vulnerable to some slippage if standing while climbing in the wet, if torquing leads to uneven pedal strokes...
Alan Boden
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Yeah, be smoover, Claire! :o When it's wet I actively try to climb seated more often, in a higher gear, and I drop my air pressure a bit (10-15%). But since you ride almost exactly four times as much as I do, I should probably shut my mouth.

I had these same thoughts about ways to improve my grip on reading about more crashes. But then I'm approaching 8,000K (including winters) on the same set of Conti 4000s and they've been golden: very dependable wet-weather grip and few punctures. They might be heavy or something; I don't pay attention to weight. But I also have disc brakes, which allow much better modulation in crap conditions—something I think contributes more to overall winter safety than any particular tires.

I used to ride Gatorskins and Armadillos, which were darn near impregnable, but a massive pain in the bum (thumb?) to get off the rim, and yes definitely a bit slipperier.

Also:

Here's a possibly helpful Zinn article on wet weather tire grip.

Sheldon Brown's general tire info.

And in the interest of increasing surface area, these look fun:
aruss

Post by aruss »

agree with Alan, Conti 4000S is a great tire for everything. Perhaps more important though is to drop tire pressure in fall/winter. I'd recommend 80-85psi for your size.
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Never had an issue with Specialized Turbo Pro's or Vittoria Open Corsas. Vittorias are not the best for puncture resistance but are pretty grippy.
Claire

Post by Claire »

I wasn't sold on the Conti suggestion until others supported Sir Crashalot's recommendation. I'm glad there seems to be a consensus of sorts. Next step: Conti sponsorship (hey, a girl can dream).

Thanks, Andrew, for the pressure recommendation, too. I'll give it a go for tomorrow's ride on my current tires and hope for the best.
Claire

Post by Claire »

Is this the tire? And is it a decent price?

http://www.wiggle.com/continental-grand ... twin-pack/
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Yes, and yes.
Curran

Post by Curran »

Also try from 28 widths; the lower pressure = more comfort + grip
I've also found Conti 4000s's great in the wet
roadflasj

Post by roadflasj »

Just be aware that the 28mm Conti 4000 are closer to 30mm actual width. Mine are 31+ on wide rims. If your current brakes have a ton of room maybe otherwise grab the 25mm and run them on the low side pressure wise. This is a great reference article with a pressure chart used as a starting point on weight based pressures (single wheel/bike+rider). http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf
Kenji Jackson
alan boden

Post by alan boden »

"Sir Crashalot" huh? Aren't we getting cocky! For the record...my only crashes this season, both at TTT - people on the front failing to call out hazards and then making sketchy moves trying to avoid them and leaving carnage in their wake. Sheesh! Thursday mornings feel like a roll of the dice these days.
Alan Boden
Claire

Post by Claire »

alan boden wrote:"Sir Crashalot" huh? Aren't we getting cocky! For the record...my only crashes this season, both at TTT - people on the front failing to call out hazards and then making sketchy moves trying to avoid them and leaving carnage in their wake. Sheesh! Thursday mornings feel like a roll of the dice these days.
In my defence, it wasn't just heartless mockery. I also granted you knighthood status.
sailor

Post by sailor »

roadflasj wrote:Just be aware that the 28mm Conti 4000 are closer to 30mm actual width. Mine are 31+ on wide rims. If your current brakes have a ton of room maybe otherwise grab the 25mm and run them on the low side pressure wise. This is a great reference article with a pressure chart used as a starting point on weight based pressures (single wheel/bike+rider). http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf

Kenji,

Thanks for the link. Enlightening.
Claire

Post by Claire »

Kenji's attachment and the chart contained therein is geeky and I like it. However, it contradicts the advice above which recommended a rider of my mass run 85-90# by indicating I should be running 110lbs for my weight and tires of choice. Geekiness is good. Contradictions are annoying. Not-free Conti tires are also annoying.
alan boden

Post by alan boden »

"In my defence, it wasn't just heartless mockery. I also granted you knighthood status."

I understand - I'm a therapist - I get people with dilusions of grandeur - So you think your Queen Elizabeth - that's Ok...
Alan Boden
Alan

Post by Alan »

Delusions of grandeur just like this, right? Shall we just say that Sir Crashalot is more 'evolved' than the rest of us?
Attachments
revolution.jpg
roadflasj

Post by roadflasj »

ClaireM wrote:Kenji's attachment and the chart contained therein is geeky and I like it. However, it contradicts the advice above which recommended a rider of my mass run 85-90# by indicating I should be running 110lbs for my weight and tires of choice. Geekiness is good. Contradictions are annoying. Not-free Conti tires are also annoying.

Claire - The chart references a per wheel weight based on the recommended front/rear distribution of 45-55%. For my 195lb combined bike and rider that would mean a starting pressure of 90/110 front/rear. I would easily drop 10-15% for wet roads. Heavily built tires can also be run lower due to stiffer side wall construction. Hope that clears things up a bit.
Kenji Jackson
sailor

Post by sailor »

And for those interested in rolling resistance:
http://velonews.competitor.com/where-th ... tires-fast
Claire

Post by Claire »

What better time to resurrect this topic than in the middle of these delightful fall monsoons? It's probably time to refresh my winter tires (I may or may not have done this last year after this animated discussion).

I looked down at a red light today and they look a little like sparkly sponges. Pretty...but possibly ineffectual. I'm also choosing to blame them for a recent spill in the wet darkness when I wasn't being anywhere near reckless.

Does anyone have any fresh intel on the best tires for the wet rides? Please share!