55plus Games

Moderator: mfarnham

jbarrett

55plus Games

Post by jbarrett »

The 55plus Senior Games cycling events in Coquitlam (Sept. 21-23) attracted 69 registered participants from every region of the province. There were 23 women (a range from 9 in the 55-59 age group, .... to 2 in the 80-84's). There were 9 in the two 60's groups and 3 in their 70's.
There were 46 registered men (9 in the 55-59's ....12 in the 60-64's .... all the way up to 3 in the 85-89's). There were 10 men in their 70's and 4 in the 80-84's.
It's amazing to see these elders pedalling like always and giving it their all.
A big part of the 55plus Games is attracting newbies to the sport. There's a novice category in each age group to allow those who are new to cycling a better chance at placing.
That's not to say it wasn't competitive. Most of the participants registered in the competitive category. More than a few have raced in BC Masters Association races and/or had raced way back when ....
For the $70 entry fee participants had entry to the 12.3km. TT (180M of climbing) on Sept. 21. The 60Km. RR (with 900M of climbing) on Sept. 22 and the 2.5Km HC (150M climb)on Sept. 23.
Traffic was coned off the entire course and there were 20 orange overall paid marshals plus another 30 volunteer marshals. Although, there were some problems (the cones on the residential streets (about 15% of the course) allowed less than half a lane for the peloton in the RR. Police cars and an RCMP motor cycle were also patrolling. Timing was done with chips, but with all the first time volunteers there were some mix-ups. It wasn't the flawless timing the Sydney Velo Tuesday TT's.
The $70 fee included a full banquet meal and three nights of entertainment, if you were up to it.
The full results are posted at the BC 55plus Games website.
http://www.bcgames.net/results/
For anyone interested there are photos posted on the Games official website ....
But to give a quick taste ... In the men's, hilly TT - In the overall results: Brian Marsh - 18:53, Craig Premack - 20:04, Derek Peterson - 21:10 (they were all 55-59's). I managed 6th overall and 2nd in my age group at 22:13.
In the RR, overall results Men 55-69 - Brian Marsh - 1:42:06, Craig Premark - 1:51:52, I was third - 1:51:54 ... the six remaining in the peloton were at 1:53:00.
In the HC, Men's overall - Brian Marsh - 7:16, Craig Premark - 7:25, Mike Hagan - 8:14, your's truly at 8:30 (which was silver in my age group).
Next year the Games will be held in Vernon. Brian Marsh will be in the 60's age group. So, there will be lots of opportunities for TS members in the 55-59 group.
It's a unique event. An eye opener. Three days of great camaraderie among all the riders regardless of age or gender. After participating in this one you'll never again be able to say "I'm getting too old for this."
Claire

Re: 55plus Games

Post by Claire »

That sounds awesome, Joe. It's so great to see the "elders" (as you say) getting up to these tricks right into their 80s. And I bet by that age they let go of a lot of the cocky posturing BS of the young punks, and just enjoy the challenge of the race. How refreshing!

Great report, and nice results, too. You've sure been working hard and that fitness is carrying through nicely right into the fall races. Hopefully you'll be able to do some cross races to squeeze out the last bit of your great summer fitness.

See you out there again soon.
barton bourassa

Post by barton bourassa »

Thanks for the report Joe. Might be a good target for next year! There are about 50 of us in the club right now at age 54 and up. Maybe get a team together from TSC and attack!!! What fun!

Barton.
Barton Bourassa
Mikael

Post by Mikael »

This sounds like great fun indeed. If a large contingent is going I would love to join for the ride to and from Vernon at least. After looking at the results page I realize that competing against the likes of Joe, and randonneurs Mike Hagen and Craig Premack is too much for me though. By the way, I think that Craig is the guy who was shot in the middle of the night near Spences Bridge on June 1, 2014 at the end of a 600km ride. The bullet shattered his elbow and he used some of his kit to stop the bleeding until he was found 20 minutes later. The damage was so bad that he did not finish another 600km ride for almost two months (August 23).

Mikael
jbarrett

Post by jbarrett »

That's correct about Craig ... he's a one tough cookie.
I forgot to add, it poured rain last Friday in Coquitlam during the RR. But those Women and Men in their 70's and 80's straddled their bikes and charged ahead with the rest of us and took on the water and grit as if it was Paris-Roubaix. The fans from the Coquitlam neighbourhoods were pretty hardy too.
Joe