Riley Pickrell wins the VCL A race today

Moderator: mfarnham

Lister Farrar

Riley Pickrell wins the VCL A race today

Post by Lister Farrar »

Anyone know when's the last time a Tripleshot rider won the VCL A event?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cg1BPaZUcAAI8Vl.jpg

In other news, Sarah Van Dam finished 3rd in the B race, the first B race she has managed to finish in the pack. Guess track helps with VCL's. (Sarah won 5 golds at track nationals in early April.)

L
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Lister Farrar

Re: Riley Pickrell wins the VCL A race today

Post by Lister Farrar »

Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

Wow! Summary race report? Sprint or breakaway?

Martin

p.s. (edit) Never mind...Sprint...I looked at the picture!
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Brilliant!!
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

I was helping c riders for the first 8 laps, but Riley reported noticing that any break without several of each of the major teams riders in it, was chased down by the underrepresented team. He had to chase others tho on his own. Including getting gapped in the final corner by 6-8 guys, chasing on his own, and only catching the last guy 10 m to go. More like a 1km tt than a true sprint. But then he is the Cdn 2 km record holder, so it probably seemed short. ;)

Sarah (also 14) rode conservatively in b until the last lap, and duked it out in the last 300 m with bigger people for third. She vows to try to breakaway next time.

On the other end of the youth team spectrum,12 year old Connor Bosenburg battled mightily to hold the c's getting gapped on the climb but then almost getting on, just as a crash happened, and braking for it took him off the back. We let ourselves get lapped a couple times to get the pack practice, but he'd used all his matches by the time he had a clear shot at it. He's sooo close. Fellow 12 year old Liam H had a week off after a crash on the john Dean descent, but wanted to watch his team mates and rode up the daunting Millstream climb ("Where are we going again?" And unspoken:"Will my parents be able to find my body?").

Josh L. touched wheels when a rider slowed instead of accelerated in response to a break, and Paul Christopher fell over him. (He's very sorry Paul.)

Ethan, Thomas, Adam, Erin, Tomas, all had attacks which got clear of the bunch, so the fact they ended up finishing mid bunch does not really reflect their efforts.

In C Megan Barnes held onto the strong bunch including three national youth team triathletes. Last vcl's second place Toria got dropped after a very short night following a garage sale she organized with Jess Maitland to raise money for an Ecuador school building trip they are both going on. Made $500. Do t know about you, but I'm lucky to make $50 at a garage sale.

Thanks to dr walker club for organizing and free entry to u19 and younger riders. Also to Darrell Barnes who stopped his race to check on Josh and Paul.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Louise Wallace

Post by Louise Wallace »

Fantastic!
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

How are Josh and Paul getting on?
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Fozzy wrote:How are Josh and Paul getting on?
Josh rode home with no apparent difficulty. Paul looked pretty good at the end of the race, but his dérailleur hanger didn't, so he had to hitch a ride home.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
John D

Post by John D »

Wow! Amazing Tripleshot results right across the board. Now I wish I'd ridden out to watch the race instead of being led hither and yon (mainly yon) for 100km by Barton yesterday.

I also note that a pair of Tripleshot "former juniors", Steve White and Ritchie Hughes, took 1st and 5th in the B-race.

Looks like it's shaping up to be a strong race season for Tripleshot!

Congrats one and all.
J.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
Bosie

Post by Bosie »

Craig B.