Routes to Hartland

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

Robgrant

Routes to Hartland

Post by Robgrant »

Looking for some advice on how to access Hartland on my cross bike. With a couple of hockey buddies, we've headed up the Goose, Burnside, Prospect Lake Rd, Munn, Woodridge Pl to a trail entrance near N trail. We tried Panama flats, hector road, found a trail head under the power lines, then got shot out onto Munn Rd (so followed the rest from above).
I know we can also head up Prospect Lake Rd and access it from Meadowbrook Rd.
I suspect there must be a way to follow the power lines up to regional trail, but don't know how to get there. Suggestions?

Rob
Roland

Re: Routes to Hartland

Post by Roland »

Are you talking about this section of power lines? http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/48.5023/-123.4585

As far as I'm aware, there is no trail under then and they are over private property.
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
Robgrant

Post by Robgrant »

Yes- I assumed there were trails under there. I guess not.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

I'm sure this is inferred by most, but out of curiosity I just found this on BC Hydro's website: https://www.bchydro.com/energy-in-bc/ou ... ement.html
Please respect private property

Transmission lines run through corridors, which BC Hydro manages according to specific property rights acquired by BC Hydro from the land owners. Such property rights are known as statutory rights-of-way or easements.

On occasion, some members of the public use transmission rights-of-way for snowmobiling, ATVing, hiking, hunting, horseback riding, and other outdoor activities. While some of these rights-of-way are on public land, others are privately owned.

It is important to remember that property owners have granted certain rights to BC Hydro, including the right to build, maintain and access the transmission lines. However, these rights do not extend to public access.

Any individual travelling along transmission rights-of-way without the property owner’s consent is subject to the same laws of trespass as if they were trespassing on any other private property. Please do not use transmission rights-of-way unless you have the consent of the appropriate property owner.
wonger

Post by wonger »

You can go through Thetis and up the back of Mt. Stewart, over to Munn and in the back way. Let's go sometime and I'll show you.
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

There's a trail that goes under the powerlines out from hartland, but it gets cut off by private property just before it intercepts Munn rd. Without admitting anything, it is hypothetically possible to get through, but it does involve trespassing.

Alternately, if you go over prospect lake rd to meadowbrook rd, there's a trail at the very end. If you follow that up, you can go around the lake and then under the powerlines into hartland park. Almost everything in there is rideable. Map here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/48.5254/-123.4567

You can also get in by going over the back of the hill in hartland, past the access to trillium which takes you out to a road that gets you to durrance lake, which contains a bunch of great riding.
I've got an obnoxious helmet. It's green.