GranFondo choice/goal for 2016

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

Curran

GranFondo choice/goal for 2016

Post by Curran »

Thinking of training targets for next year on this dark and stormy night...
Anyone who's ridden Whistler/Penticton/Banff/Victoria have thoughts on the most fun?
Andrew

Re: GranFondo choice/goal for 2016

Post by Andrew »

I enjoy whistler and tour de Victoria a lot. I am thinking about Levi's in the fall!
barton bourassa

Post by barton bourassa »

Whistler is great, especially when you throw in Cypress!

Penticton is a great route and lovely place to stay.

Both of them end up costing +$1,000.

How about Victoria as a target ride / race? As Geoff has said, it is always good to support local! And a whole lot cheaper!

Barton.
Barton Bourassa
mtsmith439

Post by mtsmith439 »

The Whistler Gran Fondo was fantastic this year. I guess it was the best weather that they have ever had - and I don't doubt it. It was my first Gran Fondo and I couldn't have asked for a better experience. Everything from registration to organization to finish line festivities were top notch, and what better town is there to party after a Gran Fondo than Whistler.
I'm also thinking of what Gran Fondo to do in 2016, so thanks for starting the discussion, Curran.
Cheers,
Mark
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race.
H.G. Wells
wonger

Post by wonger »

Hey Curran,

I've done Whistler three times and Victoria three times. They are both very enjoyable days out and well organized.

Whistler is a bit more of a commitment in terms of time and logistics - you have to get there and back, maybe stay overnight etc. Mandy and I did it in 2014 and really enjoyed it as it was a weekend without the kids. We took advantage of the shuttle service for ourselves and our bikes, so when we finished we handed off our bikes to the shuttle and didn't see them again until the next day down in Vancouver. We left the car in Vancouver as well and really didn't miss it. In the past a group of us had gone and one person has to travel up to Whistler, leave the car and then come back to Van - kind of a pain. The bike shuttle was good - they covered every bike with a blanket so I wasn't worried about damage. The post ride in Whistler Village is really great - music, beer, war stories and a lot of sunshine. It would be a different story if the weather wasn't as good. There's always something to do there, so it's good to make a weekend of it.

The course is a good challenge, something like 2000 meters of vertical? Get to the front, get in a group and hold on as long as you can. I think it's safer near the front as you're not passing as many people throughout the day. It can be windy - in 2014 we fought headwinds the whole way and it made it pretty hard.

The thing I enjoy most about Victoria is the route. They've adjusted it to add a bunch of little roads that I hadn't seen before and it was really a pleasure to ride. The atmosphere is great with people standing at the end of their driveway cheering for you, even in the most isolated places. The roads aren't officially closed but they are effectively and that makes it a lot more fun. Finishing on the Legslature lawn is great - beer and a meal are included. It's just a great way to enjoy our city. I'd say the two courses are comparable. Victoria is a little longer, Whistler has a few more sustained climbs. Either way, you can't go wrong. You'd enjoy them both. Wait, there's an idea...
MDAWSON

Post by MDAWSON »

I really like the Whistler fondo as well....and i've flatted the last 2 years in it, but still really enjoy it! so that has to be something.
tour de vic is a great opportunity to really push yourself on roads that you may be familiar with, so you may find that appealing, or boring. i find it to be the former.

-mike d.