Vimy Ridge to Nijmegan w Wounded Warriors

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

rhughes

Vimy Ridge to Nijmegan w Wounded Warriors

Post by rhughes »

Hello Everyone

Thanks to you, we have raised $6700 for Wounded Warriors!! I would like to thank you for your support of me on this ride. Close to $3000 came from Tripleshot members--very humbling.

Below is the flag that I will hold high on Vimy Ridge on Saturday in tribute to all the heroes named. The ones in red never came home (WWI to Afghanistan), others came back as wounded warriors, many now gone and the remainder need and are thankful for your support. Other heroes named you may recognize.

Many of you have helped me get here in many other ways--whether its a hand up Panorama Hill, or "good ride, Ritchie" or "Good Luck on the ride and thanks for doing that". All of this makes a difference in ways way beyond just a few words or encouragement. Tripleshot Cycling is much much more than a bunch of folks with bikes--thanks for making it so.

As I head to Paris--tomorrow (Thursday) I will be thinking of you and your support. I hope to make some updates here on my 7 day journey which will go from June 13 to 20th.

I hope to add some photos as well--although I seem to be having some issues with that using my phone and Facebook photos.

Thanks again for your incredible support!

Ritchie

John D

Re: Vimy Ridge to Nijmegan w Wounded Warriors

Post by John D »

Ritchie;

All the best buddy...we'll be thinking of you and your epic ride over the next week. Looking forward to seeing some photos.

J.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
rhughes

Post by rhughes »

So being the person that I am - I'm not overly fond of rules. When it comes to flying I have two: don't drink alcohol (if free possible acception) and don't drink hot drinks like tea or coffee (too dangerous). And like all folks who don't like rules but have rules, it's because of lessons already learned.

My whole trip became very close to ending on the plane or riding in extreme pain. When coffee was offered I somewhow forgot my rule and ordered a decafe. Now they don't have decaf made up - they have to go to the back of the plane and make one just for you. When you get it, it is near boiling. The stewardess handed it to me and three seconds later that scolding coffe was in my lap! As it was burning me I tried to get away--oh alas the seatbelt held me firmly in place for the entire cup to spill on my crotch!! (Yes I know this is funny)

I calmly ran to the washroom and at least put some cold water on it and then went back to my seat with ice. The ice worked and I only ended up with a few welts instead of one huge blister. As I'm in the bathroom I am berating myself for avoiding races for the past few weeks and then do something as dumb as this.
Hopefully, this will be my dumb and dumber highlight of the week.

Vimy Ridge tomorrow. John - I will add Beaumont Hamel.

Ritchie
spearson

Post by spearson »

Ritchie is so tough he pours boiling water on himself just so he can get saddle sores like everyone else. :)

Glad everything is still on track.
rhughes

Post by rhughes »

Yes Simon you caught on that right away! You have to get press anyway you can.

Vimy Ridge - you have to go there! It is incredible and Canadians own this!

Ok I ama bad guy- somehow my fag with your name on it somehow flew way on top of the flagpole at Vimy Ridge ( Vimy Ridge!).
rhughes

Post by rhughes »

So today in Brugges (my favourite city) was a day off, more oor less. We went to the Freedom Museum near Brugges which is basically a tribute to all allied soldeirs from the second WW, especially Canadians--as Liberators. It was the last city liberated in Europe apparently. These museums are often funded and developed by only one or two families.

After that Simon and I from Cycles West went for a nice rip down a 50' wide newly bricked prominade on the North Sea Coast--fun. `meeting some great folks and learning about some great work being done to support Wounded Warriors.

I went for a solo sightseeing ride around Brugges in my favourite bike kit--got some nice comments on it. Not for Sale!

`im having trouble with the photos `i will see if `i can post in a bit.
rhughes

Post by rhughes »

Today was day 5 of the 7 day ride - 85kms from Middleberg to Bergen Ops Zoom, Netherlands. The morning went well including a stop at Soledam which included a chat with Senator and Ret'd General Romeo Dallaire. Not only is he just about number 1 Canadian (and Wounded Warrior) in my books, but he is also an incredibly nice person with time for everyone.

After lunch me and my group of 10 went the wrong way initially and got behind the "sweep" who is also pulling the signs where to go--we got lost. We got some directions and we're off again. I had to use some old navigation skills and "you have to trust me folks" when we were half way across a causeway which was closed to all traffic--including bikes. To make things more fun my Rogers roaming package on my phone is not working to make comms even more fun.

After some discussion we divided to head off in Ritchie's direction across the very windy causeway which was more cyclocross oath than road. We made it in about one hour late and we actually came in as a team and with something we can talk about through the winter. "Remember that Ritchie guy who lead us all across the Netherlands on that day"--"wasn't that fun!".

And additionally, I am getting in a reasonable amount of trouble as well and as someone in my group said " yes Ritchie, but that is only with the "higher ups"--not with us and we're the ones who matter!". Can't say I disagree with that!
rhughes

Post by rhughes »

Today was remarkable in the fact that it was just over 100kms and only 21m of climbing. To put that in perspective I bet that is about 3 or 4 Beacon Hill laps. Which I hope to do a lot of on Sunday.

We stopped outside of Nergen Op Zoom at a Canadian cemetery of nearly 1300 soldiers. Included there was a soldier who was buried this year after 70 years.

I also got to push a cyclist in a recumbent trike who keeps her companion dog Coco along the rides with her. It is a bit different because you actually have to lean down away from your own bike which feels weird because it is the opposite of how you would go into a turn in the same direction.

I was wearing my Trupleshot jersey today as a tribute to all of you as supporters and sponsors, so I hope they got a shot of that--a Tripleshoter helping out a wounded Warrior.

Tomorrow is the last day already. It feels good because my team has now learned to be fairly skilled riders (or increasingly skilled) on in their own ride. Satisfying.

Cheers
Ritchie
rhughes

Post by rhughes »

I'm on the train heading to Schiphol and the ride is over. It was quite an experience for many reasons including being around lots of military people again, the cemeteries and museums dedicated to the fallen and remembering, leadership and taking a team of somewhat nervous riders (especially of group riding) and coming out the other end who at a stop light when I said "roll" simultaneously started peddling with precision, packing and hodge-podge repacking every day, getting your bags on the truck and trying hard not to get lost in a foreign country--and if you did making it a fun adventure to get there. How is that for a run on sentence?

And my personal highlight; meeting and chatting with Romeo and Elizabeth Dallaire!

Most, if not all of my riding skills have been learned or closely associated with Tripleshot. When it comes down to it we are an excellent bunch of skilled riders who are quick to lend a hand to others in many ways. I am very glad to be one of you--keep it up!

Thanks again for you very kind support of me and Wounded Warriors.

Ritchie

BTW--Wounded Warriors next year is in Italy. You can start climbing those hills now...
rhughes

Post by rhughes »

Hi Folks

Here are some pics from the trip. It's from my Facebook page and its "public" so please enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/ritchie.hughes ... gefilter=3

Thanks again,

Ritchie