HELP - VCL April 29 Venue Issue

Moderator: mfarnham

JohnT

HELP - VCL April 29 Venue Issue

Post by JohnT »

Hi everyone,

This year we planned to host three Speedway VCL races, but it turns out that the track is not available on April 29th. Ya, I know, right.

I am making an effort to revise the schedule to take advantage of track availability on May 13 (a date not allotted to Triple Shot at the moment), but that's a long shot.

Anyone in the club own a race track? Is anyone a mayor who can get approval through a local council quickly? I am only half joking here. Rapid approval for a course at the Esquimalt base?

Before we cancel, I figured I'd at least survey the membership.

JohnT (back from the jungle)
Andrew

Re: HELP - VCL April 29 Venue Issue

Post by Andrew »

Hi John, I wonder if we can't do the Metchosin Road Race course? The BC Masters do it. Not much (likely not enough) time to approve. Any chance to do a Uvic Ring Road? Hopelessly optomistic I know. Maybe Latoria/Caleb? Maybe we open the velodrome and learn to ride track for a night. Let me know if I can help JT. Send me a PM.
Kilian

Post by Kilian »

Since classes are done, the traffic on Ring Road at UVic is a lot lower. If you come to them with a plan for traffic control, there's a chance they'd go for it. Still though, there's 11 entrances to Ring, and that's just for cars. Just don't mention shutting down ring, they really don't like that! Pat Seward at campus security is transportation manager, but I'd suggest going through someone in campus administration first.
John D

Post by John D »

Thanks Kilian, but we've now officially pulled the plug on this Wednesday's VCL event.

For the record, I work at UVic and have always thought that a "Ring-Road Road Race" would be a great idea. However, being as risk averse as they (we?) are, I really can't imagine UVic giving permission unless it was really early on a weekend morning. In any case, with Ring Road being a public road the permission would likely need municipal approval - the fact that it straddles the Oak Bay/Saanich border wouldn't make it any easier.

All that aside....it might still be an interesting idea to pursue for a future event.

Cheers,
J.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
Der Radfahrer

Post by Der Radfahrer »

I noticed this has happened before with Western Speedway. What is the issue? Are the owners of the track letting us know at the last minute that the track is no longer available when the understanding was that it had been booked for a VCL? I am concerned here obviously as I have booked my Western Speedway sprint challenge on June 5 as part of the Robert Cameron Law Cycling Series.
Jon Watkin
Event Director
Robert Cameron Law Cycling Series
email: info@victoriabikerace.com
phone: 250-415-3246
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I agree with Jon, this is a huge problem and we should think about changing our venue from Speedway if we are going to run into cancellations.
John D

Post by John D »

There's no huge problem here. As I understand it, the requested date was simply not available. The folks at Western Speedway have always treated both Tripleshot and the VCL very well, so let's not say/do anything to spoil that relationship.

Thanks,
J.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley