Advanced Cornering with Lister

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

rhughes

Advanced Cornering with Lister

Post by rhughes »

Lister has agreed (right Lister?) to run an advanced cornering clinic for us at Ogden Point.

This would be for those of is who know we can benefit from more skill/confidence and who are not beginners. So maybe you would like to do some racing or improve your racing etc.

Perhaps he could even show us how to advance in a pack safely--ala Beacon Hill sprints.

He would need to know we have enough,so add your name if interested.

Ritchie (adding my name)
mfarnham

Re: Advanced Cornering with Lister

Post by mfarnham »

I'm interested!

Martin
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

I'm in.

CB
wonger

Post by wonger »

Depending on the timing I would attend.
AJ Neale

Post by AJ Neale »

I'd be interested.

Andrew
barton bourassa

Post by barton bourassa »

Very interested but depends on the day of the week.
Barton Bourassa
Paul C.

Post by Paul C. »

Yes pc. This is good timing as first Windsor Crit is May 3,....I believe.

Announcing a date, time and place, soon will help with attendance,
Thanks for doing this Lister
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

I am interested.

Neil
owen

Post by owen »

Interested.
Curran

Post by Curran »

I'm interested
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Glad to Ritchie.

As this is an advanced cornering session, expect to push yourself and your bike to the limits. We will progress from 3 abreast pack cornering on a 500m 6 corner circuit, to dealing with elbows, head butting, and triathlete lines through corners. I'm bringing sand for one corner, wet leaves for others. Elbow, hip, and knee pads strongly recommended. Don't bring your fancy carbon wheels because the last drill will be on flat tires. You might need a couple of new ones to get home. There will also be pugilistic drunken soectators, and musette loops lassoed at your handlebars from the barriers at random intervals.

(April fools!)

Really, I have some bunch and cornering drills the youth team have managed quite well without tears or missing skin. Several courtesy of level 5, Olympic and FastTrack coach Kurt Innes.

For those wondering if its right for them, we can also do different groups, varying from 'Please be Gentle', to 'Bored Keirin Rider'. Not everyone has to do the same thing.

What's a good day? I'm coaching the youth team mon- thurs after school 4:30-6:30(+). We need dry roads, so I'll pull the plug if it's wet. I'd prefer daylight so people can see. How about 5 pm on a Friday? A week from this Friday, April 10. Subject to no cruise ships arriving. Their buses clog the course. Meeting spot is Ogden point, just west of the dive shop cafe.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Julie

Post by Julie »

id love to but i'm not sure if I me the requirements??
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Julie, I assume you mean your experience vs your recovery from your crash. That one's is up to you and your doctors.

It's called advanced because Ritchie wants to feel important. ;). Seriously, he and I were chatting about how to develop the skills beyond the intro in the group skills course. I'd had some successes recently with the youth team, described them, and he liked it.

The group skills course introduced the concepts of line, weighting, and speed adjustment, and drills progressed from solo, pairs, to pace lines, double lines and triple lines. So already pretty advanced for some, though many complete beginners to group riding did all those in a single session. (No Lycra repairs needed either). If you haven't had that course but can make it through corners on group rides without people muttering about you at coffee, you're probably fine. The theme of the session will be "challenge by choice" (another wise bit from Kurt) so some could just do solo stuff seperate from the groups. The circuit is short though, so there's a limit to quiet time during the session. To keep the learning sharp, we'll do drills in short bits of 2-8 minutes, so a group can be riding while another rests.

So, can you do that? Another learning point of the session will be 'non-inflammatory ways to correct others near you'. So you'll get great peer coaching too.

Finally, you can also try what you're comfortable with and then watch to practice later on your own.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
John D

Post by John D »

Hi Lister, I'm in.

I did your basic course, including the basic cornering stuff, a few years back and it's saved my butt more than once. That said, I have to confess to feeling slightly twitchy when diving into corners at high speeds (stop laughing) ever since my crash over Xmas. A refresher course may be exactly what I need!

J.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
Julie

Post by Julie »

I would prefer your assessment as I have been given the go ahead on cycling, balance is iffy but corners are still sharp. I dont want to risk anyone, but I want to be a master.
EricS

Post by EricS »

Lister, I'm in. This sounds awesome.
Eric Simonson
katew

Post by katew »

Lister Farrar wrote:...and triathlete lines through corners...
Ahem.
kateweber.com
steve w

Post by steve w »

Hey lister
Thanks for putting on the clinic. Depending on work schedule, I would be interested. Now what did I do with that body armor.
Steve
FairweatherMike

Post by FairweatherMike »

Interested - if you can have it in June when I'm fully recovered from the post-crash groin pull [let the witty remarks begin] and I'm starting to get some conditioning back...
Mike Skinner
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Lister,

This sounds like good training for the Speedway. Please send me an e-mail!

JT

Still in a concrete jungle (Belem) next to the real jungle (Amazon).

No cycling in 4 weeks, but if Victoria gets hit with a heat wave, I am ready!