Some much-needed good news

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

John D

Some much-needed good news

Post by John D »

Later this evening, our very own Lister Farrar will be attending the 2014 Cycling BC Awards Banquet in Burnaby. Why, you ask? Because he has just been named the 2014 BC Youth Coach of the Year! Please join me in congratulating Lister on this well-deserved recognition of his tireless efforts on behalf of the club, and also the broader cycling community in Victoria. Bravo!

Oh, and speaking of the club, Lister will also be picking up a second award tonight. Turns out that Tripleshot Cycling tied with Escape Velocity for the 2014 BC Road Club of the Year! On behalf of the Tripleshot Exec Committee, sincere thanks to everyone who helps to make this the best club in BC.

Basically, WE ROCK!!!

J.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
Rolf

Re: Some much-needed good news

Post by Rolf »

Big congrats to Lister for his tireless (tire-ful?) dedication to getting kids on bikes and making them better riders. Your commitment to both young people and cycling is pretty amazing and certainly without equal from my limited perspective! Enjoy the recognition.

And as for Escape Velocity, I'm sure the only reason they tied with us is Cycling BC's Lower Mainland focus. :wink: Of course we're the best road club in BC!
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Let's talk about Lister Farrar for a moment here. I think a lot of club members see him out on early morning rides, posting in the form, maybe at a race. Surrounded by a gaggle of juniors. But honestly, that's the tip of the iceberg.

He works tirelessly in support of juniors, not just those that are a part of his program, but juniors across Canada. His relentless advocacy for development racing has lead to chances to race for u-17's at track and cyclocross nationals, as well as leading to clinics at massive UCI level events such as Starcrossed and the former USGP in Bend.

His campaigning in Victoria has lead to increased visibility of junior programs locally as well. Even when I was beginning cycling, it was rare to see juniors, and now they're a critical part of our cycling culture. He also spends so much time on the bike supporting juniors, I've known weeks where he's ridden 12 times in a week. Showing up to the 6am ride, then meeting a rider at the switch-bridge with a bag full of parts to help set them up with a little donated speed, then gathering up a swarm of teeny youth and riding out to the VCL race, racing, then riding home with the group.

But is his magic limited to juniors? No! He's a member of the Tripleshot Board, making incredible progress with this club. He also is a driving force behind getting even younger kids riding at the Margaret Jenkins Elementary school bike club.

Lister plays a massive role in cycling, and also in the personal development of riders. I have learned so much from Lister, including so much about teaching and coaching. I have also been incredibly lucky with generous donations from everyone in the community, all that would not have been in place without Lister.

We all see him out at one spot or another, but I don't think anyone (except maybe Joanna) knows just how much time, effort, and love into his junior coaching.

If you see him out on a ride, thank him. So much. We all owe him so much.
I've got an obnoxious helmet. It's green.
joannafox

Post by joannafox »

And there were more awards in Burnaby last night!

Tripleshot was awarded the "2014 Road, Track and Cyclocross Club of the Year" and the "Club with the Best Youth Development Focus", a nod to the talent that has been developing thanks to support from the club and the BC Gaming Commission over the past few years.

Lister received the "Youth Coach of the Year" award and tied with Jeff Ain and Kurt Innes for "Road, Track and Cyclocross Coach of the year".

And then there were the youth awards ....read the full article and news about Jay Lamoureux and the 2014 Provincial Track Championships on the website's homepage!
John D

Post by John D »

Thanks for the update Joanna....but now I'm really bummed that I couldn't make the banquet!
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

Bravo Lister and Tripleshot!

Martin
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

DavidB wrote:Let's talk about Lister Farrar for a moment here. I think a lot of club members see him out on early morning rides, posting in the form, maybe at a race. Surrounded by a gaggle of juniors. But honestly, that's the tip of the iceberg.

He works tirelessly in support of juniors, not just those that are a part of his program, but juniors across Canada. His relentless advocacy for development racing has lead to chances to race for u-17's at track and cyclocross nationals, as well as leading to clinics at massive UCI level events such as Starcrossed and the former USGP in Bend.

His campaigning in Victoria has lead to increased visibility of junior programs locally as well. Even when I was beginning cycling, it was rare to see juniors, and now they're a critical part of our cycling culture. He also spends so much time on the bike supporting juniors, I've known weeks where he's ridden 12 times in a week. Showing up to the 6am ride, then meeting a rider at the switch-bridge with a bag full of parts to help set them up with a little donated speed, then gathering up a swarm of teeny youth and riding out to the VCL race, racing, then riding home with the group.

But is his magic limited to juniors? No! He's a member of the Tripleshot Board, making incredible progress with this club. He also is a driving force behind getting even younger kids riding at the Margaret Jenkins Elementary school bike club.

Lister plays a massive role in cycling, and also in the personal development of riders. I have learned so much from Lister, including so much about teaching and coaching. I have also been incredibly lucky with generous donations from everyone in the community, all that would not have been in place without Lister.

We all see him out at one spot or another, but I don't think anyone (except maybe Joanna) knows just how much time, effort, and love into his junior coaching.

If you see him out on a ride, thank him. So much. We all owe him so much.
- well said David. And I couldn't agree more. Lister is amazing and no matter who you are with tripleshot you personally owe him a debt of gratitude. So please actually thank him. I'm serious - do it, go thank Lister. He deserves it.

Peter