Bridging the gap to As

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

trevor

Bridging the gap to As

Post by trevor »

I thought I'd start a thread on this topic as it seems once the lines of communication are open more are willing to give the A rides a go. I think there are 3 factors to consider when jumping in with the As.
First, fitness. There's no doubt about it. There'll be less rest, the pace will be higher, and you'll want to quit. Training smart, riding with faster people, and looking at long term fitness gains are all going to help you stick in. Chat with one of the coaches on the rides for support if you're keen (thinking Peter, Lister, and Wheeler Tom Skinner who posts a free monthly training schedule on the Wheeler site - subtle plug).
Second, mental. You'll want to give up. You'll want to go slower. You'll want to wait for the Bs. Your body can do amazing things if you set your mind to it. Get over yourself and just dig. If your stem is covered in snot and slime post ride then you know you did your job.
Third, social. I think there tends to be a social stigma with regards to the A ride and I'm hoping that this thread and the guys who are regulars can try to break that. I don't take myself (too) seriously but I do like to go hard and get gutted. With any group ride there is an unspoken order to things. The regulars know this order quite well. When you jump in with the As try and figure this out. Ride smooth. Communicate. Work hard. I think that part of this stigma, whether real or imagined, is due, in part, to this. Get to know the ride and have fun.
Case in point, this morning a B rider jumped in with the As on our penultimate lap at Beacon. Great. There's no issue so far. But please don't immediately attack the group that you just joined after we've been working each other over for the past hour. And know how many laps are left for the group you just joined. And when you think you've won the sprint get to the left of the ring so we can continue on our way.
Thoughts?
Marc

Re: Bridging the gap to As

Post by Marc »

Any tips for the art of sitting in? I found today that sometimes sitting in was almost harder because there were frequently gaps that'd open up.

Aside from those moments though... Even though the pace is a lot higher, the difference in between B1 and sitting in at the back of the A ride isn't as big as I'd worked it up to be mentally.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Well first, and in a similar vein to above, you've got to know the group.
Who is strong?
When will the strong guys go?
Who is not as strong?
Who is on the rivet?
When is a gap most likely to form?
Once you've figured this out you need to keep your eyes up and anticipate that gap, jump it smoothly without hesitating, and grab the next wheel.
Another more technical thing to keep in mind is how to actually sit on without eating a bunch of unnecessary wind. You always want to be on a wheel. When sitting in it's just like you're in the paceline but in reverse. Keep the wheel from the rest line as he/she moves over to the peppy side. As this rider begins to work their way up the pack you need to smoothly (and safely) transfer back over to the next wheel in the rest line. Don't cross wheels. Let the next rider know they are up. Be smooth.
POC

Post by POC »

These are great tips and thoughts Trevor. I have found the few times I have ridden with the A's the support is incredible. Yes, you really have to dig into the 'suitcase of courage' but once you been there it's easier to go back. Plus, correct me if I am wrong, it's ok to miss as turn and take a breather. Also, it helps if you are rested and fresh enough to go with this group. Thanks to all the A riders, who make this ride hard, true and fun.
tskinner

Post by tskinner »

Sometimes it can actually be easier to take a turn and pull through as opposed to sit on the back. If you can try to find a smooth wheel or someone a little less peppy, it helps to have them behind you in line so that person doesn't pull through hard on you, open a gap, and leave you in the wind. If it hurts you to pull every time, take a rest every other rotation, or rest before the big efforts usually happen (KGT, Ash, etc).
FairweatherMike

Post by FairweatherMike »

Terrific advice here, and much appreciated. Given its general interest potential, it should probably be in the Tripleshot cycling part of the forum - this is more than just "general banter." I've daydreamed a few times about "running with the big dogs", and this thread may cause me to give the A Train a go (after a week of good sleeps, or a warm weather cycling vacation) to see if I can hang on all the way to Hillside...

Mike S