Victoria to Nanaimo before Nanaimo2Victoria

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Jeff George

Victoria to Nanaimo before Nanaimo2Victoria

Post by Jeff George »

Who is in for the ride up to Nanaimo on Saturday before the N2V ride? It's probably wise to meet at the switch bridge around 5 or 5:30ish in hopes of actually making it all the way to the start line this year. If we can get a sense of who's riding up, then maybe we could discuss among ourselves over the next few days and finalize details.
Plawless

Re: Victoria to Nanaimo before Nanaimo2Victoria

Post by Plawless »

I think we should meet at the Switch bridge. Meet at 5:10 and depart by 5:15. Then stay together to the Malahat. Do your own pace up the 'Hat with a regroup at Serious Coffee (Mill Bay, At Frayne Road). Then together the rest of the way with maybe a water stop in Ladysmith/South Nanaimo??

Basically we do the same as last year. Who else is in? (I have given up the idea of "saving myself" for Mt. Doug so will be riding up.

So far I see:

Jeff
Peter
Alan

Post by Alan »

I'm in. Advice to the team? Bring extra tubes to deal with the flat-inducing shoulder of the road.
Chris Watt

Post by Chris Watt »

I'm in pending home office OK- Val's away so have to sort out kid schedules first. Should know by mid-week.

Cheers,
Chris
mlawless

Post by mlawless »

I am in for both the ride up and the cry home!

Michael
Dave Spiers

Post by Dave Spiers »

I'm in, cus I hate the bus.
# 9
Brian S

Post by Brian S »

OK--I guess I am too. Groan. Bring tubes and a tyre, to attempt to induce good f;at karma.
Tutto il rosa della vita
Jeff George

Post by Jeff George »

Here's the list so far. If there are other takers, maybe you could CUT & PASTE the existing list, then add your name to it so we have an up-to-date list all in one place.

Jeff
Peter
Alan
Chris W. (if he gets permission)
Michael L.
Dave S.
Brian
FairweatherMike

Post by FairweatherMike »

Since I have yet to experience the joy of flats, count me in. I do find the idea of the 'hat in darkness a little unnerving - Peter and Jeff, will either of you have those turn-night-into-day lights? (at the moment I just have MEC blinkies) Also, do you want to meet at some place south of the switch bridge - just south enough so riders don't have to go south then north. If you do want to do the bridge start, I take it you're referring to the pedestrian/bike overpass at Hwy. 1 near the Town and Country shopping centre.

I'd like to talk about gear for the trip, and whether I should wear a small pack for things like my mini-pump - I don't have a bike mount (and don't really want one!) - or just bring a couple of CO2 cartridges?

Also, FYI - I've been in touch with Mainroad Contracting and Manager Bill Beischer says that the shoulder from Nanaimo to the Shawnigan turnoff was recently swept (that doesn't mean there won't be glass from Labour Day drunks) but it's at least an encouraging sign. He'll check on the piece from Shawnigan to Chemainus; I'm also following up with Emcom, who do the stretch from Chemainus to Nanaimo. Every bit of clean road helps... Mainroad says they're paid to clean the shoulder 3 times a year - I said they should check with the cycling community to find out the top 3 preferred times -

Cheers

Mike Skinner
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

Mike,

My personal feeling is that trying to do the 'Hat without proper lights its not even close to safe. My view (and again I am just one guy and others have different views) is that in a group ride the lights are used not just to keep the 1 rider safe but also the other riders in the group safe. Accordingly I prefer it when teveryone in the group is able to see what is on the ground...

As for gear I will be bringing 2-3 tubes plus 2 CO2s and my mini pump (in my jersey).

I think we should stick to the Switch Bridge meet as there is another group that is going to be meeting there to ride up as well. They are likely to go a wee bit slower than us and may be better for anyone wanting to still do the full 240k but more interested in a liesurely cruise.

Their details:

To: "David Sudbury" <dsudbury@shaw.ca>
Sent: Saturday, September 05, 2009 9:59 AM
Subject: Departure Info for the Victoria2Nanaimo2Victoria ride

All,

There is a plan to ride up to Nanaimo. We plan to leave at 5:00am.
Though early, a 5:00am start allows for a leisurely amble at ~23km/hr
to get to the 10:00am start at the Oak Bay Nanaimo store which is ~
110km away.

When: Sept 12
Where: Switch Bridge - Recyclistas
Gathering Time: 5:00 am
Leave at: 5:15 am

Please forward this to other interested parties.

David Sudbury
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

According to Google, switch bridge to OBB Nanaimo is 119 km:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?daddr=From:+ ... 05185&z=11

If this slow group leaves at 5:15 and loses half an hour for pee-breaks, flats, mechanicals etc., they're looking at a 28 km/h average, instead of 23 -- might mean the difference between starting with the cancer ride in Nanaimo and turning around in Cassidy as the peloton approaches.

Interestingly, the ride down from OBB Nanaimo to Clover Point is 127 km:

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&h ... 238825&z=9

The only contexts in which the 110 km figure bandied about on the N2V site make sense are: (1) the distance from OBB Nanaimo to CanWest Mall (where those riders doing just the 20 km to Clover Point join us), and (2) the GoogleMap distance from "Victoria to Nanaimo" (i.e. city centre to city centre).

Man, do I have to get a life. I'm taking the loser-cruiser -- why am I even reading this post? :roll:
dreeves

Post by dreeves »

I'm in although I haven't been feeling the bike love as of late. Sorry my post is so short. I feel inadequate, I don't have any map links to add.

Jeff
Peter
Alan
Michael L.
Dave S.
Brian
Dylan
¡Hasta la victoria siempre!
wonger

Post by wonger »

I can't make either v2n or n2v, but my light can. If anyone needs to borrow a light mine is super bright and available. Just subscribe to my "you break it you buy it" policy and you're away. Safety first.

geoff
steve

Post by steve »

Hi All,

I'm not a triple shot member but am doing the ride on Saturday and would like to really punish myself by riding both ways and wake up before 5am - I'm hoping this is an open invitation!

Was just wondering what kind of pace you guys are planning on keeping on the way up and just want confirmation that there is a second slower/kinder group going up as well. I rode on your B ride last week fairly comfortably and enjoyed myself but am not sure I would want to keep up the 35 km pace I saw the A group do for four hours. I'd love to come along but would hate to slow the group down - I figure if the pace is too quick I could fall back to the second group or do it on my own and join the peloton in progress if necessary.

Thanks

Steve
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

Steve,

Yes its open to any and all who want to ride up. So it will be great to have you along. I am not 100% sure how fast/slow the second group is. I do know that last year we averaged 32km/h to Nanaimo.

Having said the above, I like your "plan": start at the front fade back to the 2nd group and maybe finish alone (its like how I race!). While we will likely stop for flats etc I cant imagine that we are going to go too slow as we wil alll want to make the start in nanaimo if possible. In fact 3 of us are helping with the organizing of the event and HAVE to be there at the start so its posible that one or more peole wil be left behind. The beauty of this ride is that you can join in on route if needed.

See you Saturday.
mbuell

Post by mbuell »

I guess I am going to give this a try (permission has been granted). Now off to get some shammy cream (chamois for you fancy people), heart defibrillator, and oxygen tank (Peter can carry these items for me). I updated the list below. See you tomorrow morning..

Jeff
Peter
Alan
Michael L.
Dave S.
Brian
Dylan
Mike B.
Alan

Post by Alan »

I think we should have each other's cell phone numbers, just in case. If each person on tomorrow's ride wants to send me their cell numbers email me at: cassels@uvic.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

I'll compile them into a document and make copies to hand out at the switch bridge, ok? See you at 5 dark 15.
Chris Watt

Post by Chris Watt »

I can't make tomorrow's ride unfortunately- I'm a single parent this week-end and too many kid things happening tomorrow. Sorry to miss it- it's going to be a great day for it.

Safe riding guys.

Cheers,
Chris