B rides - Lets keep them going - they ROCK!

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Plawless

B rides - Lets keep them going - they ROCK!

Post by Plawless »

First up, thanks to both Roland and to Eric for leading the B ride this morning. It was a big group and its great for some of our fast guys to do the leading. On that note how about people taking turns each week so the same guys arent doing it over and over?? If we all think back to when we started it was sure great to have faster folks dropping back to help us.......

Next lets look at a B ride for Fridays as well. Basically if the Bs do the "Classic Friday Ride" (so straight up Shelbourne to Ash Rd.) they will be able to hit coffee right around the same time as us. With 2 B rides per week it should be a snap to either get people up to A speed or be enough incentive to keep coming out throughout the winter.

So anyone want to do a B ride Friday????? Dont be shy, we dont bite (or drop people!!!)
Roland

Post by Roland »

Just a few tips for whoever volunteers to be a B ride leader.

There is a wide range of abilities and experience levels that having been coming out on the B rides, and we want everybody to have a good time so that they keep coming back.

I think it's a good idea to always have a stronger rider remain at the back of the pack, to keep an eye on what's happening and to offer advice.

New riders tend to stay on the front too long, and by the time they drift to the back, they might not be strong enough to get back on. A well timed push or offering them your wheel can make the difference between them getting dropped or not. If you don't notice that they are off the back for 30+ seconds, it's too late, they've suffered too long, and probably aren't going to recover for the rest of the ride.

When the front riders pull off, watch for the next riders to keep a steady pace and not accelerate through. No half wheeling.

New riders also tend to stop (or at least slow down) for stop signs. This causes the group to separate.

Nobody is ever going to say, "It's too fast, can we slow down?" It's the ride leaders job to watch how people are doing and adjust the speed of the ride to suit or to offer help when needed.

It's not hard, and you don't need to do anything 90% of the time. So, if you have sore legs, instead of staying in bed, come out and take a nice recovery ride with the B team.

ps: could a forum admin (peter? galen?) make the invitation thread sticky?
Last edited by Roland on Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

I'll happily do B on Friday. But as I'm still a capital "R" Rookie, I can hardly be a "B ride leader".

Given your coaching compulsion and autocratic barring me from B rides, Peter, do I have to submit an application form or something? A skill-testing question perhaps? I puked a little in my mouth this morning trying to keep the leaders in sight by the heliport, does that qualify me for B on Friday? :lol:

If I'm allowed to ride B Friday, then I'd ideally be able to do Sunday, the stat Monday and the usual Tuesday and Wednesday before the following Saturday Nanaimo ride. (Unless wife drags me off on a long weekend getaway.)

If I do the "A" route on Friday with you animals, I'll spend the weekend whimpering and whingeing (even more than usual) instead of riding. :cry:
Alan

Post by Alan »

I'd be happy to 'lead' a B-ride on Friday--for the sole reason that I am familiar with the planned route and can tell people where to go (which I like). The 'old Friday Ride' is also what we typically do on Wednesdays with the TS farm team leaving from in front of St. Matthias Anglican Church (600 Richmond Ave. corner of Richardson and Richmond)

I especially liked Roland's remark about the leader not having to do anything "90% of the time"--geez, almost sounds like me on a Friday at the office... sign me up...
AlW

Post by AlW »

I'll do the B ride as well.

It'll be nice to get home on a Friday and not feel the need to hurl.
Roland

Post by Roland »

I think Katie and one other are coming out on Friday. Cucumbers are out of town.
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
wonger

Post by wonger »

Perfect! An excuse not to ride with the "A's" on Friday, and just in the nick of time. All the references to hurling are giving me a new appreciation for my pillow.

geoff